PDA

View Full Version : Flying to The Netherlands on Monday. Please help

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 16:19
I am going to Eindhoven on Monday and have booked into their but I have just received their charging sheet and it is frankly pretty steep. In addition they dont have Avgas which will mean another stop somewhere else for me at some point adding inconvenience.

I am now wondering if there is another nearish airport that I can land at that will have more reasonable charges perhaps but more importantly Avgas. I dont mind a taxi ride.

Please advise ASAP if you can help.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Dec 2011, 16:23
What are your requirements, besides AVGAS availability? Runway length? Grass runway sufficient? IFR equipped (might be handy, these days)? then EHBK and EHRD are closest, though neither will be much cheaper, I'm afraid.
If not, you could look into Budel EHBD, fairly close.

Could also help by indicating final destination - even Hoogeveen could serve as an alternate, perhaps.

BTW don't forget your first landing should be at a customs a/d, severely limits your options!

PS into their what have you booked :bored:?

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 16:33
Sorry we need about 700 metres ideally. Grass is OK. Its a Bonanza A36.
Of course I forgot customs.

I have obtained PPR.

We are IFR equipped but the pilot isnt. I have have an IMC rating. Of course we are only going if the weather plays ball.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Dec 2011, 16:47
Well, that leaves some questions open, but as I see it you have two options:
-) either fly as originally planned, probably expensive but should work as well as possible; and frankly I'd be surprised you could really get no avgas at EHEH
-) or find an alternate airport, probably closer to your as yet unknown final destination, which does publish avgas availability, and make an intermediate stop for customs. Depending on your as yet unknown point of departure, Calais LFAC could be a strong candidate. Or if flying from the UK's North AND willing to cross a large extent of water , you could check availability of customs at EHTX Texel; that a/d at least has a strong reputation for G/A hospitability.

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 16:55
Hi

I am flying from Blackpool but I am crossing at Dover. I dont fancy bobbing about in that great expanse of water in my little raft!

I have spoken to Eindhoven and landing fees are outrageous but acceptable so I guess going there is best. I am fancying Calais for fuel and then that will cover me back to Blackpool I am sure.

I got Avgas from Eindhoven last time there but it was 7 years ago. Its says warning no avgas on their airfield info thing from AIS though.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Dec 2011, 17:01
Of course you had already searched the forum, and found this one:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/410542-eindhoven-airport.html

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 17:04
No I hadnt but thank you.

bookworm
2nd Dec 2011, 17:07
Options, all about an hour away, include:

EBAW Antwerp (GA friendly and easy, about EUR 50)
EHBK Maastricht (used to have mandatory but good cheap handling via Air Service Limburg)
EDLN Mönchengladbach (haven't been there for years)
EDLV Niederrhein (haven't been there for years)

proudprivate
2nd Dec 2011, 17:08
I would say it depends on your final destination. There are a couple of small Belgian fields nearby, and you could stop for customs at Ostend EBOS or Antwerp EBAW, and then fly on to EBWE (check whether they are open on Monday). With the 75 gallons in the Bonanza, one fuel stop (e.g. on the way back) should suffice.

The Netherlands (and especially medium sized airports like Eindhoven) tend to mark things up pretty stiffly and recently taxes have gone up too. It is seen as an elitist venture and is generally discouraged. [The Netherlands were the ones who were adamant about implementing the mode S-transponder, even though ATC couldn't cope]

There also is Budel, which is nearby and probably cheaper. I believe they have customs on request (because they do business charters), but better check with them.
Kempen Airport: Contact / openingstijden (http://www.kempenairport.nl/algemeen/contact-openingstijden.html)

Then again, if you're final destination is a visit to the Philips factories or something in Eindhoven, I'm afraid paying up at Eindhoven is probably your best bet. A taxi-ride from Weelde and back quickly eats up the difference in fees.

The cheapest way to combine things might be to fly into EBAW and rent a car at the airport. Eindhoven is then a 1 hour drive.

Does this help ?

PP.

Jan Olieslagers
2nd Dec 2011, 17:12
On a final note (from me, at least, I think I've done enough research that he could easily have done himself) the EHEH aeroclub announce on their website they have their own avgas pump available since April 2011.

jkveenstra
2nd Dec 2011, 18:13
I'm flying at the EHEH Aeroclub myself. The club recently bought their own fuel installation, so AVGAS would be available. I am not aware of any possibilities to use the AeroClub as the handling agent on the airfield.

I'll send you an PM with the e-mail address of the AeroClub, maybe he can help.

Katamarino
2nd Dec 2011, 18:42
I flew to Eindhoven. They were very unfriendly. I'd suggest avoiding it if at all possible.

BackPacker
2nd Dec 2011, 20:12
Eindhoven is essentially a military base. They're not interested in handling light GA, hence the outrageous prices. And indeed they stopped supplying avgas a year or two ago, so the local aeroclub had to get their own installation. You could try to get handling through the local aeroclub "EACm" as jkveenstra said. If you can't get in touch, let me know. I know a few members there and might be able to get you in touch. (Won't be able to do miracles though...)

Alternatively, Budel EHBD is just round the corner and much cheaper. It's a bit more in the middle of nowhere though, with less public transport options or possibility car rental.

A bit further away, Rotterdam EHRD? If you get handling through the flying club it won't break the bank - I think the club charges 25 euros handling if you have no connection with the club whatsoever. Half an hour by bus to the railway station, another half hour or so by train and you're in Eindhoven too.

(Although coming Monday afternoon the club at Rotterdam is closed. One of the aircraft engineers died in a car crash last weekend and the funeral is Monday afternoon.:()

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 20:35
Thanks for all the help. We are going to somewhere near the Ajax ground so I suspect I may just have to pay up and shut up.

I am considering a fuel stop on the way at Calais or somewhere but I will call the aero club and ask them first to see if they can help.

Thanks. Thanks Thanks for all the replies.

BTW I may be going to Dusseldorf the next day. Are they just as welcoming?

BackPacker
2nd Dec 2011, 20:41
Ajax (the soccer club) is based in Amsterdam. Are you sure you don't mean PSV?

The Ajax stadium is under the approach 27 into Schiphol. Where they do welcome GA - although you'll leave with very little change from 300 euros and without avgas.

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 20:43
Whoops yes thats the one. PSV. :)

proudprivate
2nd Dec 2011, 20:52
BTW I may be going to Dusseldorf the next day. Are they just as welcoming?

Düsseldorf is nowhere near as expensive as Eindhoven. They have a separate GA terminal and the prices are reasonable. So shouldn't be a problem.

pilotms
2nd Dec 2011, 20:56
If you are going to Düsseldorf, consider to use EDLN, Mönchengladbach, which is only around 20 Minutes by Car from EDDL.

stuartforrest
2nd Dec 2011, 21:23
Thanks again.

Slipway
4th Dec 2011, 07:13
Backpacker is spot on ref Rotterdam, I went there last year. EU40 all up via the flying club, and self service Avgas. If you have to go Monday, and club is closed, then Seppe are very helpful and similar cost too but a bit further away.

Zulu Alpha
4th Dec 2011, 10:40
If you stop for fuel at Lydd, they will sell it to you duty free. Makes a big difference.

Fuel in Holland is generally £2.30 to £2.50 per litre.