PDA

View Full Version : Question about pilots for U.S. airlines

donjr
29th Nov 2000, 23:24
I am an aspiring airline pilot in the USA and I have a question concerning flight training backgrounds of pilots at our airlines. Basically, I want to know from pilots or anyone in the know if the military still forms the mainstay of most hiring. If so, which service is the most common and what airframes? Which airlines have the most Air Force, Navy, or Marine Corps pilots? I have been accepted to Navy's pilot program and I just want an idea as to what lies ahead for me at the airlines, years down the road. Any info appreciated.... Thank you and good luck!

SKYDRIFTER
30th Nov 2000, 00:25
ONWARD -

At the moment, there is somewhat of a shortage of pilots for the airlines. Your Navy background will serve you well. Hopefully, there will be a pilot shortage still out there. However, expect the Navy to jump through hoops to keep you. In any case, keep your airline aspirations to yourself as being serious. Shooting your mouth off about it can cause some real heartburn (promotion / school denials).

If you're serious about the airlines, go for a "crew served" transport aircraft such as the C-130. Fighters are cool, but a military career choice. A fighter pilot will still be in demand by the airlines, though. Don't get too wrapped up in the transport argument. Think of your future in the Navy Reserve, as well.

Review the videotape, "An Officer & a Gentleman" as a guide.("Yoooooonited Airlines") Great movie.