PDA

View Full Version : Crew Luggage

marsattacks
1st Dec 2011, 12:59
I was just wondering which kind of luggage you guys use?

Any recommendations or suggestions?

cheers

Cyber Bob
1st Dec 2011, 13:09
Small as possible - avoiding the hold is your best bet

Northbeach
1st Dec 2011, 13:56
Briggs & Riley - expensive but very tough and comes with a lifetime guarantee that I have used several times.

marsattacks
1st Dec 2011, 15:07
what about travelpro? any experience on that?

Intruder
1st Dec 2011, 19:24
Had 2 Travelpro bags. They did not uphold the warranty on either one of them, even when the honeycomb backbone that "never fails" broke on one of them.

Bought a Briggs & Riley. Took it to the seller after 3 years to get a zipper and wheel fixed. Bag was essentially rebuilt to like-new condition. Cost about $10 for 1-way shipping...

Piltdown Man
1st Dec 2011, 22:55
Our lot give us hard shell Samsonite suitcases. We do about 150 night stops per year which means that the case is handled at least 350 times per year. Our current, 'roundish' version is no where as good as its 'squareish' predecesor as it lasts about three years whereas the older ones did about five. The weakest point would you believe are the legs on the bottom of the case. After a thousand or so "slides across the tarmac" they wear out and the hinge wire becomes exposed which renders the thing U/S. Our system is somewhat brutal with our bags but if I was a frequent flyer I'd choose a hard shell Samsonite, and a second hand one like this (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAMSONITE-SUITCASE-HARD-PLASTIC-SHELL-BLACK-/380383581801?pt=UK_Tickets_Travel_Luggage_CA&hash=item5890a0d669#ht_500wt_982) would be excellent VFM.

PM

Crashdriver
1st Dec 2011, 23:04
I used Travel Pro after I switched to flying charter, where I know the bag smashers (AKA me) are going to be nice to the luggage. When I flew airlines I used Luggage Works, the big honking heavy steel framed ones, I flew Dash's and it survived multiple crushings, falls, beer spills (didn't happen to me but a captain I was paired with once.)

If it's not going to get thrown around much I 'd say save your money and get the Travel Pro one. The luggage Works are nice but about 3x more expensive.

marsattacks
2nd Dec 2011, 11:12
thanks for the numerous answers guys!! :ok:

Flexi
3rd Dec 2011, 13:47
Rimowa Silver Integral Multiwheel :ok:

redsnail
3rd Dec 2011, 22:00
I use Travelpro Crew series of luggage. It gets a mix of airline abuse as well as me shoving it into a Hawker 800 or 750.
My first one last 5 years before beginning to split. :ok:
Given the abuse, I think it did well.

Rick777
4th Dec 2011, 05:54
I have gone through several Travelpros. I used a Purdyneatsyuff bag for 10 years and it still holds up.