PDA

View Full Version : PPL Training in UK -logged hours in Switzerland

kesikun
1st Dec 2011, 11:07
Firstly please be gentle this is my first post on this forum...

I am currently working towards my PPL in the UK but recently my work schedule has me in Switzerland every other week.

Sunny skies and being only 1km from a local training airport in Switzerland is tempting me to get some hours in here (ch) !

Would it be possible to log hours from a local flight school in Switzerland towards my 45 hour PPL requirement in the UK ?

thanks in advance ...

BigGrecian
1st Dec 2011, 11:56
LASORS: LASORS 2010 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/lasors)

Section C1.2 - Credits for Previous Experience and Training - Page 3

Any previous flying training gained during a PPL(A) course conducted in another JAA Member State (other than the UK) may be credited with such flight time towards the issue of a UK JAR-FCL PPL(A). Applicants who intend to continue with their training with a UK Registered Facility or FTO, must in the first instance contact the Authority of the Member State in which training was commenced. The applicant should confirm with that other State that they will allow them to continue their training with a UK training provider, and agree that the UK will be the ‘State of Licence Issue’.
If the other State agrees then the applicant will be required to obtain written confirmation to this effect in order for all previous PPL training to be recognised by the UK CAA. The applicant should also arrange with the other JAA State for any PPL training records to be forwarded onto the new Registered Facility or FTO. If the other State does not give agreement then the UK CAA will only recognise up to a maximum of 10 hours of the previous training towards the overall 45 hour requirement for licence issue. The applicant will in this case be required to complete the further 35 hours as specified in Flying Training Requirements.

kesikun
2nd Dec 2011, 07:58
:-) thanks for the response.

So in plain English ...

This means without any paperwork up to 10 hours is recognised .. perfect for my needs....

BillieBob
2nd Dec 2011, 10:14
Just to clarify, the LASORS entry should read "....the UK CAA will recognise up to a maximum of 10 hours of the previous training only towards the overall 45 hour requirement for licence issue" (i.e. the flight time will be credited but not any instruction received). You will still have to complete at least 25 hours dual instruction and 10 hours supervised solo at the UK registered facility.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the LASORS paragraph refers to a course of training that has been commenced in another JAA member state but cannot be completed there (perhaps because the candidate is forced to relocate), it is not intended to cover the situation that you describe in which the course is being conducted from start to finish by a UK training organisation. You would be well advised to confirm with the CAA that they will be willing to credit the time in this specific case or you could later find your licence application is rejected.

Golf-Sierra
2nd Dec 2011, 11:31
45 is the minimum, and I believe most people end up spending more time.

If you take a few extra lessons in CH you are more likely to be ready for your skill test by the time you log your 45th training hour in the UK. I wouldn't worry so much about whether the hours in CH count towards the 45 or not - unless you are determined for some reason to finish in 45 hours.

Good luck and just enjoy it ;-)

Golf-Sierra

stickandrudderman
3rd Dec 2011, 08:22
the training in switzerland will also give you a great perspective on what's possible once you've finished your PPL. The mountains and proximity to international borders will all broaden your horizons.

expatbear
3rd Dec 2011, 15:12
I was wondering the same thing about the US actually. I have a few trips back home to the states next year and thought I'd take advantage of some good weather and slightly cheaper prices to do a few hours. Just wondering if I can log them or not.

As you note, Golf-Sierra, it'll likely take me well over 45 hours anyway, :O so I'll probably not have any issues with them "counting" in that sense!

kesikun
3rd Dec 2011, 18:54
thanks for all the good advice.... :ok:

Will definitely take a few lessons in Switzerland to broaden my experience