PDA

View Full Version : Question.. ATPL Instuments 04.12.01

rebeccadblake
8th Dec 2001, 02:43
I have to know if I got the right answer for this question..

Anyone know?

..What is the output of a computer.
A. Keyboard B. Monitor
C. Hard drive D. Mouse

its been driving me mad, everyone says something different, can't find anything in my oxford/sft/cabiar/ppsc books.

Flypuppy
8th Dec 2001, 02:56
Normal logic would dictate that answer B. Monitor would be the right answer.

Unfortunately, a JAR examiner may have other thoughts on the matter.

Matthewjharvey
8th Dec 2001, 14:33
I assume having used a computer to type the thread that you are taking the p*ss with this question.

rebeccadblake
9th Dec 2001, 00:11
its not really obviest when you think about it.

Pdub
10th Dec 2001, 01:40
Suppose it all depends on your definition of "computer". Is it the collection of beige plastic in the corner that consists of a keyboard mouse moniter and big boxy thing with loads of gubbins in it, or is the "computer", just the processor?

If its just the processor, then the computer outputs to the hard drive, where the info is stored.

If a computer is the whole gubbins, then i'd have to go with Flypuppy.

Mouse and keyboard the red herrings, nothing to change so can't be outputed to.

sounds like a typical multiple choice question, two wrong answers, and two maybe right answers, from which you are meant to guess the examiners mood and have a stab at a 50/50

thecoltster
10th Dec 2001, 04:48
That exact question came up in the 03-12-01 Systems exam, as did a crap question on EPROM (Electrically Programmable Read only memory-for all you dumbos like myself who didn't know that!?) where they asked whether or not it would retain info if the computer was shut down? What a load of turd! Be warned those JAR question computers continue to churn out alot of 'rubbish'!?...or am I actually gonna need to remember this stuff??!!

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: thecoltster ]

Don D Cake
10th Dec 2001, 15:56
from pedant's corner.....

EPROM actually stands for Erasable Progammable Read Only Memory.

I would agree that the answer to the question is "monitor". Keyboard and mouse are input devices. The hard drive is neither an input nor output device (probably, of course depends on examiners frame of mind). What a crap question, multiple choice stinks.

thecoltster
10th Dec 2001, 18:41
Thanks Don,

I have since read a bit about EPROM, (I get the E part right now anyway!), however I wander if you could answer the question for me, it was a two part multi guess teaser in the exam about whether or not it was Read only or random access, and whether it would/n't retain data if the power source was removed (turned off I guess, or in my text book speak: how volatile it is?!!)
I went for it being Read only which left me 50/50 for getting the answer correct as I blind guessed at saying it would retin its mamory if it was turned off!! Any ideas would be appreciated-might help me if it comes up in the retake!!

I am pretty sure that the monitor is the output,because as I was taught and read, examples of computer outputs in the cockpit were, for example the EFIS screes or TCAS screen, may be wrong though, hope not as I put the same answer as you!

Best of luck

THE COLT

Don D Cake
11th Dec 2001, 15:59
Colt

You are correct, an EPROM is read only and it is non volatile, that is it retains its data if power to it is removed.

FYI....

note the following is a generalisation:

A PROM (programmable read only memory) is used for permanently storing data such as the program that drives your CD player, video recorder, engine management system etc etc. Once the data is programmed into an PROM it cannot be changed. A similar device to a PROM is a write once CD or DVD.

An EPROM is an erasable PROM. The data is usually erased by using ultra violet light in an EPROM eraser. An EPROM can often be identified by a window on top of the chip which is covered up by a label after programming. EPROMs are useful in development work so you don't need a new IC when you find you've cocked up your programming.

Another type of PROM is the EEPROM (pronounced "e squared prom"). This is an electrically erasable PROM. These devices can be re-programmed without removing the IC from the product they are fitted in. This means to upgrade a product containing an EEPROM, you would connect your computer to a port on the product, run a program and bingo, your product has new upgraded software. This can be very useful to a manufacturer who doesn't test his software properly :D

RAM is Random Access Memory. RAM can be written to or read from almost at will. Its purpose is to provide a temporary storage area for data while it is being processed. Reading and writing to RAM is fast, much faster than writing to a hard drive which is why your computer runs faster with more RAM. Usually when you remove the power from RAM the data contained within it will be lost.

Hope this helps.... :)

rebeccadblake
12th Dec 2001, 13:08
Thecoltster.... am I right in thinking you where the one who is from a certain school in EGHH and who only had systems and flight planning to do that day??..

Who I also meet in the atrim.

maybe miss out the * in your log in name and I have one of your names?

Eff Oh
12th Dec 2001, 14:04
Is this the kind of CRAP they are askin you these days?? I sat my (CAA) exams in 1998 and I have to say, there may have been some rubbish in the syllibus, but at least it was all to do with aviaton! Was this some type of computing exam you guys were sitting?! How many aircraft have you seen with a mouse?? You guys have got it hard with this "New Improved European" crap!
Best of luck!
Eff Oh.

thecoltster
12th Dec 2001, 19:36
Don,

Thanks for the Gen, that has answered my question entirely, looks like I have got the $h!t of a question right, and if not I'll nail it in a resit if it comes up again! Thanks!

Cat,

Looks like I have a stalker!!? I hope you are a girl!! I was at a certain EGHH school and thankfully had left before its wings folded-(were you??)! I did sit my (last?) 2 exams...I hope! Did I speak to you in the Atrim with your girlfriend or are you some one else!? Anyway best of luck with your exams and let me know who you are sometime!?

COLT

rebeccadblake
12th Dec 2001, 23:34
Colt.... I am sure I will see ya soon, maybe i could pull ya a pint.

thecoltster
13th Dec 2001, 06:01
You can pull me a pint any day if you have a p^$$y....Cheshire Cat! as I am worried coz if you are a bloke sending me hearts I am worried, unless its just a friendly gesture!! Is it Bex or her boyf!!?? Anyway don't want to clog the site/thread with this idol banter so send me a message tell me who you are and how your exams went, and when you can pull me a coupla stella's!

[ 13 December 2001: Message edited by: thecoltster ]

GLawless
14th Dec 2001, 15:02
I may be a bit late with this..

I beleive the asnwer to you question is indeed monitor.

In relation to EEPROM...

It is actually "Electrically Erasable Programmable ROM"

With normal ROMs you have to replace the chip (or chips) when new BIOS instructions are introduced. With EEPROMs, a program tells the chip's controller to give it electronic amnesia and then downloads the new BIOS code into it. This means a manufacturer can easily distribute BIOS updates on floppy, for instance. This feature is also called flash BIOS, and you might also come across it in devices like modems and graphics/video cards

So it does not lose memory if it goes down.

The information is basically Burned onto the chip.

Too much info eh ?????

Watch the canopy

thecoltster
15th Dec 2001, 05:00
Quijibo,

Thanks for your help, the entire eprom thing is all sorted, looks like I guessed right in the exam and it's always nice to have something like that confirmed!
Thankyou

COLT