PDA

View Full Version : Sydney terminal 2 development

SARWATCH
1st Dec 2011, 00:08
Ive noticed there's alot of construction work at the end of the Sydney virgin terminal pier.

Are they expanding the terminal or re-working the taxi ways?

aero979
1st Dec 2011, 00:15
both! one leads to the other!

hoss
1st Dec 2011, 00:26
Just making it a bit more A330 friendly. Soon we'll have 4.

SARWATCH
1st Dec 2011, 00:28
Anyone got plans on how the final product will look?

keepemseperated
1st Dec 2011, 23:33
Have had a brief look at the drawings - 5 extra bays in total, at least a couple of which are A330/B787 compliant. Looks like 3 out of the 5 will push-back onto taxiway Golf, which will be a pain in the @rse for ATC.

Stiff Under Carriage
2nd Dec 2011, 10:42
And the airport will still not be able to cope!

OhForSure
2nd Dec 2011, 12:05
I don't know if this work will be bringing the pier into line with the 2025 or 2050 (or whatever it is) masterplan. The work involved in that reconstruction is very extensive. From what I've heard they're just adding tarmac and 2 widebody bays & aerobridges to the end of the pier. This will allow 3 A330s to park there simultaneously, which is plenty for now. The question is, will there be any adjustments to the terminal itself? Adding another 2 widebody bays without adding any passenger waiting areas is going to cause nightmares. As it is it's already an overcrowded area at the end of that pier.

Does anyone know whether any terminal upgrades are in store, or is it just a ' tack 2 more A330 bays on' sorta deal???

keepemseperated
2nd Dec 2011, 22:29
OhForSure - the plans that I have seen include and extension of the pier, beyond the current 'rotunda' with additional seating/facilities for the extra 5 bays (i.e. Bays 41 to 45). They all have aero bridges, and it looks as though a couple of the bays will be able to accessed by 2 bridges at the same time.

Not sure if this is part of the master plan or not.

As an aside, I believe an announcement will be made on Monday re terminals and expansion plans.

Howard Hughes
2nd Dec 2011, 23:26
Looks like 3 out of the 5 will push-back onto taxiway Golf,
I have heard they will pushing back on to Charlie!:eek:

Airline schedulers will need to add another ten minutes to block times.

keepemseperated
4th Dec 2011, 06:34
That's a long push from Dom2 or 3 onto taxiway C. A good 400 metres in the case of Dom3!

I reckon they meant taxiway G.

OhForSure
26th Feb 2012, 10:40
Anyone heard or seen anything else regarding the eastern pier extension/expansion??? It seems strange that there is NOTHING on the web about it... no artists impressions etc. Does anyone have any details on the project? It seems to be moving along at a reasonable rate. :confused: