PDA

View Full Version : UK 124s

Gary Halliday
7th Dec 2001, 18:52
Anybody got any rumours/lies/fairytales/facts about these plans as put about by Max Kingsley-Jones (who he)in Flight w.e. 05/11.

Quoting Alexei Isaikin " This will enable us to secure financing from Western banks and allow us to undertake more serious talks with Western engine and avionics suppliers about upgrades for the aircraft."

I presume Hale and Pace, the Bookseller et al have excluded themselves/ been excluded from the plan.

GH

HalesAndPace
7th Dec 2001, 19:29
Old news, old chap! Been looked at on and off for quite a while. Big money needed and big risk! Did you note how much just to re-engine the IL-76s?? US $ 15 - 16 million, so what about the cost of getting a "new" type such as the AN-124 on the UK register, with new engines?

Gary Halliday
7th Dec 2001, 21:08
Ho Hum,

I wasn`t posting it as news. I was wondering where the puff was coming from. Isaikin floating the UK registration idea openly seemed a new tack. The ramifications were all done to death years ago. The sorry tale of missed opportunities and "widebody twin" buying goes way way back. Yes I know what the costs are and the problems. I was there- but I left. As Pace once said of the slug "there`s a limit to the length of time you can shovel sh** up hill".

GH