PDA

View Full Version : Life after failing class 1???

leftfield
28th Nov 2000, 05:12
Hi there!
I'm from Holland and I have a question about the class 1.
What happens if you have a job as a pilot in England and you fail your class1 medical check-up?
Does this mean a financial and personal disaster or do you have other options?
Thanks!
leftfield

VFE
28th Nov 2000, 15:43
I beleive most pro-pilots have insurance for this sort of thing occuring.

Lou Scannon
1st Dec 2000, 19:11
There are two possibilities:
If you work for a decent company, you will probably be paid for several months until the licence is either returned, and you can resume work, or removed permanently. At this point you will qualify for a cash amount under the company's loss of licence scheme plus a high percentage of your income until your normal retirement date. All in a very comfortable situation.

If you are unemployed or working for a non-decent company: Your pay will probably stop immediately and you will have no loss of licence handout(unless you have insurance on your own account). You will certainly not receive any insurance to pay you any salary. Not a nice situation at all.

Moral of the story is to work for a decent outfit that has good benefits and if you can't- ensure that you take out loss of licence and salary insurance for yourself (even though it costs an arm and a leg).

------------------
Lou Scannon

wonderbusdriver
5th Dec 2000, 01:11
All of the above plus (if possible) become an instructor (sim), on which to fall back on, if it should happen...