PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 'catches fire' on aircraft

rhythm method
29th Nov 2011, 12:47
Did a quick search and didn't see this mentioned anywhere here.

iPhone 'catches fire' on aircraft - MSN Tech & Gadget UK (http://tech.uk.msn.com/features/iphone-catches-fire-on-aircraft)

An iPhone caused a minor emergency after it apparently self combusted on board an Australian aeroplane recently.

After Regional Express (Rex) flight ZL319 from Lismore to Sydney had landed, the mobile phone "started emitting a significant amount of dense smoke, accompanied by a red glow," a statement from Rex said.

The airline said a flight attendant quickly extinguished the phone and no passengers or crew were harmed.

The mobile phone, on the other hand, appears to be very much the worse for wear. A photo of it shows significant damage to the rear of the device. According to Rex, the mobile has now been handed over to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) for analysis.

Apple recently recalled all of its first generation iPod nano devices sold between September 2005 and December 2006 because it said there was a possibility the batteries may overheat.

There have also been reports of overheating gadgets from other manufacturers such as Dell and Sony, with the issue often blamed on faulty batteries.

Australian newspaper The Age reports that Apple Australia spokeswoman Fiona Martin said the company was looking "forward to working with officials" investigating the incident.

Dream Land
29th Nov 2011, 12:56
Phone police can't be far behind. :eek:

funfly
29th Nov 2011, 13:56
did anyone notice the smell of burning cocain?

Desertweasel
29th Nov 2011, 15:24
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/11/iphone_4_self_combustion.jpg
this is the image being shown around this from iPhone 4 Experiences 'Self Combustion' Aboard Just-Landed Aircraft - MacRumors Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1283511)

mickjoebill
1st Dec 2011, 13:23
Millions of phones, there is bound to be a freakish incident or two.

In the late 1990s I forwarded information to the UK CAA regarding professional TV camera batteries (14volt 5 Amp hour Nicads) that were being re-celled by using solder rather than spot welds. the solder welds would fail and the strip of metal between the cels could slip and cause a short.
There were a couple of instances that occured on the ground where the nicad batteries shorted and caused fires. A 14 volt nicad battery can deliver an enormous amount of amps under the right circumstances.
CAA took no action. The TV industry self regulated and all pro camera batteries now have thermal fuses and there has been a trend toward lithium.

I cant recall a record of a fire in an aircraft caused by professional camera batteries although Im not sure if nicads in particular were ruled out as a potential cause in some of the unexplained accidents between 1980 and 2000 when their use was at a peak.

Mickjoebill

EEngr
2nd Dec 2011, 02:45
... before asking Siri what the meaning of life is.

J_sal
6th Dec 2011, 00:27
^ wahaha! :D
What a bizarre incident this is. My old iPhone would get a bit warm usually, but I would've never imagined something like this happening to it.

ChrisJ800
6th Dec 2011, 06:55
My 4S keeps my pinkies warm in cold weather:cool: