PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Headsets

HugMonster
27th Nov 2000, 16:37
I fly (reasonably quiet) turboprops. The company issue us with DC 10-80's, which are good, but still heavy on a long trip. As a result, once in the cruise, many pilots prefer to remove headsets and use the overhead speakers instead. This is not totally satisfactory either, and we need to raise our voices to be heard.

I have been given permission to research lightweight headsets for personal use.

Provided they have the same impedance as DC's, there should be no technical problem, but I have no desire to waste my money just on a test, so I need personal recommendations on these headsets, preferably specifically as used in a pressurised twin turboprop.

What lightweight headsets do other people use, and are they any good?

pigboat
28th Nov 2000, 05:19
Hug, have you tried Peltor headsets? We got rid of our DCs years ago, and were very pleased with the results we got from Peltor. The 7004 weighs about 13 oz. and the 7003, which I prefer, is slightly lighter. Our longest trip with the F-27 was just over three hours, and they were not uncomfortable even after that time. Here's the only thing I could find on them http://web-span.com/vps/peltor/7004.html

AC-DC
28th Nov 2000, 20:29
As a PPL I do not find myself in a position to answer most of the questions asked here, but this one is different.
Both, my wife and I used the DC-10-40 headsets. Usually, after 1-1.5h of flying my wife always complained about headaches to the point that she refused flying (she is also a PPL). On a flight to Egelsbach, Germany (nearly 3.5h) I have suffered of the same and we started to test most of the headsets that are on offer (They were lent to me by an old friend, the owner of Pilot Warehouse). My wife and I set with the headsets on our heads for hours, some were pulled off after 15-20min. (Telex Echelon 100) and some were just too expansive (Pilot ANR). We did not try any of the DC (Sennheiser were not available).
The most comfortable sets to our opinion are the Peltor 8006 being followed very closely by Pilot PA17-76 (ANR set). We bought 2 of the Peltor, they are light and comfortable. Yet one problem still remained. With sunglasses on, the right seat still complains about headaches. The drawback of Peltor headsets is that they are a bit flimsy and the built quality is not as good as the DC (or any other look alike). The result is that the passive noise reduction is also not as good as the DCs, however, they are our choice. The DCs are left at home or are given to the beck seats pax.
As a side note, I saw the Peltor being used by a KLM UK F27 crew while having a jump seat ride. That was the my first experience of using them.
I hope that it helps.

Edited for some missing words.

[This message has been edited by AC-DC (edited 28 November 2000).]

Squawk 8888
28th Nov 2000, 23:52
When I started flying the school rented DCs but I found that the headband digs into the scalp and the earcups pinch eyeglass frames into your head, and I could not tolerate them for more than an hour. I bought a Peltor 7004 and have had no problems, even on my x-country (3.3 hours flight time in a 4-hour period). I've owned them for 2 1/2 years now and they're still fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about their "flimsy" appearance. IMHO the Peltor line provide excellent comfort and value for the money.

HugMonster
29th Nov 2000, 01:09
All these are interesting... All input much appreciated, peeps.

I've been a dedicated DC user since my earliest days in a PA28. My own set are H10-13.4's, which are the most amazing ever. Extremely comfortable, and I love 'em.

However, like all DC's, they're closed, and seal around your ears, and weigh far more than superlight ones, which are what I'm principally looking at.

I know Sennheiser are supposed to be just about the best (or so I'm led to believe) and are also astronomically expensive. I know also that Telex make a pair, but I'm not sure about the quality. (My first ever pair was a Telex - cheapies - and I threw them away after a coupla months and bought my first DC set.)

Are any of the types you guys have mentioned above open-ear lightweights?

Captain Tobias Wilcox
29th Nov 2000, 12:08
Hugmonster,

I have flown turboprops (both the ATR and a similar but slightly quieter type), using Sennheiser sets (with the logo HMA 1410KA - not sure if this is the model number), Telex lightweight sets, and DC H10-40s (not simultaneously!).

Even on long sectors, I much prefer the DCs, for a variety of reasons including long-term concerns over loss of hearing and the desire to hear everything clearly enough.

However, many people don't adjust the DCs properly. You will know that the headband and earpieces may be adjusted to leave a slack or tight fit. I now have two DC headsets, one which I keep set very tight for doing aeros, and a slack one for flying the big stuff (Boeings now, yuck & yawn...).

The Sennheisers are good, but let a lot of noise in, meaning you have to turn everything up more to hear, leading to hearing loss perhaps...

The Telex are neat, but slide off at the first hint of getting caught on anything, and therefore they now stay at home.

So, my advice is to stick with the DCs and be able to hear the conversation clearly at your retirement 'do'!

All the best to you in the beautiful North, from all of us at Coconut Airways.

HugMonster
29th Nov 2000, 16:58
Thanks, Tobias. Very useful info.

Incidentally, the North at the moment is cold, grey, rainy & windy. At times like this I think fondly of my own time at Coconut Airways! Which/where are you?

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

AC-DC
29th Nov 2000, 20:30
Captain Tobias.
We also used the same DC as you. How do you set them than? I have never manage to position the head band in the centre, it always been off centre.

Squawk 8888
29th Nov 2000, 21:54
The Peltor 7004 is closed-earcup, non-ANR. The noise protection is good enough for shortish hops in a 172 so probably more than adequate for the quieter turboprops.

Bogtrotter
30th Nov 2000, 03:46
Peltor 7004. I haven't tried the newer Peltor models but can highly recommend the 7004. Flown many 8 hour days (flight time) with only slight discomfort toward the end (C208, BE20, HS 748). Absolutely no problem on anything up to 3 hours at a time. While not as robust looking as DC's I had my first problem, an intermittent mike after approx 3000 hours of heavy use and a fair amount of abuse. Got the fault fixed but the service was totally cr@p and took a lot of following up on my behalf before I got a result from Peltor. I'd buy the same again.

pigboat
30th Nov 2000, 07:08
Hugmonster, take a gander at the Sennheiser site at http://www.sennheiserusa.com/
As you say, they are pretty expensive.
We had one minor problem with the Peltors, same as Bogtrotter, but we got next day service from the Canadian distributor, Norhammer. No mean feat, considering we're 800 miles away. They even sent us the 7004s on spec to try out. Worked too, we bought 'em. :) Just though of something. The Peltors come with little paper thingies called Peltor Clean. It's an adhesive backed cover that fits on the ear cup to absorb prespiration. They're disposable, work like a charm and cost about a dollar for ten thousand.

[This message has been edited by pigboat (edited 30 November 2000).]

IFG
1st Dec 2000, 13:25
Have you guys heard of lightspeed headsets? I seem to remember someone telling me they were popular with turboprop pilots. I've only tried one on the ground at an airshow - seemed comfy enough, but I guess you can't really tell without a few hours in the hot seat. Check out <A HREF="http://webwings.co.nz/lightspeed" TARGET="_blank">http://webwings.co.nz/lightspeed</A>

Incidentally, I use a pair of peltor 7004's modified with an aANR kit & they're excellent.