PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on living in St Maarten

HeloTeacher
26th Nov 2000, 03:17
Anyone who can tell me about cost of living, what its like, anything, please post.

HugMonster
26th Nov 2000, 03:59
Expensive for the area. Living on the standard Caribbean pilot's pay is not easy. Good way to pay your way is to buy cheap cameras and stereo equipment etc. out and flog it elsewhere! :)

Seriously, though, if living on a salary more closely approximating European or US pay, then it's not too bad.

Check 6
27th Nov 2000, 23:32
I have not lived there, but flew helos out of St. Thomas, USVI and flew into both Gran Cas Airport (French side) and into Princess Juliana Airport (Dutch side) frequently. It is a beautiful island, people are very friendly, and like the rest of the Antilles, is generally expensive. I am sorry I can not enlighten you on the cost of housing, etc. there. There are a few American Eagle Airlines pilots commuting from there, the airline out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Possibly you could find a way to contact that group of pilots and get more info. The island is somewhat small, so getting off the island helps in preventing "island fever." There are non-stop airline flights back to the US and to Europe from there. French wine is cheap, and it is a "free port" so many consumer goods are cheap. At the French Grand Cas Airport you leave your declaration in a box in the terminal, as there is rarely anyone there. A little of the honor system. Nearby islands are great to visit, including Saba, St. Barts, and many others. Always wear lots of sunscreen!

Cheers,
Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

Tropical Update
28th Nov 2000, 20:25
1 Bedroom apt about u$600 depending on location ,best is to share a house with others.Food in supermarkets is expensive(all import) compared to US and Eur.Island has no import tax so all the good stuff is cheap( liquor,cigarettes and drugs)
Beer at most bars U$2 .
Lot of expats in the boating industry from SA OZ US and Eur.
Jumpseating is easy with all local companies(wear a uniform ! )
And finally for the best airplane spotting site and beer burgers and broads The Sunset Beachbar at Maho beach at Juliana Airport.

BTW who do you wanna work for?