PDA

View Full Version : Free Biannual Flight review / cut price LAA membership offer.

Rod1
22nd Nov 2011, 08:20
From January 1st 2012, for 24 months, the LAA Pilot Coaching Scheme will carry out your next one hour flight with an instructor (BFR), in your aircraft, absolutely free of charge. LAA pilot coaches, who are all CAA instructors and recency examiners, will fly with you in your aeroplane from your airfield or strip to develop your skills and knowledge. They will then be able to sign your log book and the Certificate of Revalidation in your licence and you will be good to go for another two years. Together we can help you become a better, more effective and safer aviator.What is more, if you have a colleague who is not an LAA member and flies a non LAA permit aircraft, we can offer them full membership, including the monthly magazine, at an offer rate of £40 including a free BFR as well. Tell them about it.Our resources are limited so make sure you apply early - you can do your dual flight any time in the 12 months preceding the rating expiry date and the certificate of revalidation can be signed any time in the three months prior to rating expiry. But don't let your rating expire or you will need to take a Proficiency Check with a flight examiner. Check your licence and apply now - don't miss your rating expiry date or this amazing offer.

jxk
23rd Nov 2011, 02:08
Biennial - please:)

foxmoth
23rd Nov 2011, 08:12
I am sure all those who instruct for a living will be thanking you for this - I do not do it for a living but at least have the decency not to undercut those that do!

Zulu Alpha
23rd Nov 2011, 08:46
Its a great scheme. Nice to be revalidated in your own aircraft rather than renting a Piper or Cessna which are very different from the LAA types that most of us fly.

In my opinion renewing in the same or similar type is much better.

The LAA is to be applauded for the work they do keeping many people flying.

Operating an LAA aircraft on an NPPL with the LAA revalidation probably cuts the cost by 50%.

Zulu Alpha
23rd Nov 2011, 08:48
I am sure all those who instruct for a living will be thanking you for this - I do not do it for a living but at least have the decency not to undercut those that do!

I'm sure you've never used anything other than a BT phone or travelled by Ryanair/Easyjet etc etc.
I also hope you've never been in a ROTAX engined aircraft.

Innovations happen and many of them are for the better.

foxmoth
23rd Nov 2011, 08:52
Yes its a great scheme, though often when the "free" instruction has coach travel costs added in it can be more than hiring an instructor anyway (or are the LAA coaches doing that free as well on this scheme), but I still disagree with them doing it for free outside the organisation, when there are those that rely on this work!

Rod1
23rd Nov 2011, 09:22
Firstly a slight apology – the scheme was announced (not by me) before all the details had been finalised, so there is a delay as this is being done.

One of the LAA’s aims is to cut the cost of flying and this scheme appears to do that. I was taught to fly by unpaid enthusiast instructors in the gliding world and personally I would like to see more of this and less commercial exploitation. Obviously there will be those with the opposite view that want flying to be as expensive as possible to help the bottom line and I respect that. However, if we can get and keep more pilots in sport aviation it will make the pie bigger and we should all benefit. I have been a long term supporter of the LAA coaching scheme and it is very good indeed with some very experienced and interested individuals who can often bring a different perspective to flying.

Rod1

robin
23rd Nov 2011, 10:15
I was taught to fly by unpaid enthusiast instructors in the gliding world and personally I would like to see more of this and less commercial exploitation.

So we are looking at perhaps 'unpaid internships' for flying instructors, are we? Given the cost of getting to the level where you are qualified to instruct and, let's face it, even the cost of registering as an LAA Coach (min £1000) is it right to expect them to fly for nothing? Or is the LAA reimbursing them?

Flying schools are having a rough old time at the moment and taking the bread out of their mouths is hardly likely to endear them to the LAA.