PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to...

TrueNorth
23rd Nov 2000, 23:48
...that German chap who flew his light aircraft (172?) through (then) East Germany and the Soviet Union, eventually landing in Red Square, to the utter astonishment of onlookers, Soviet defence establishment etc?

I think his name was Matthias Rusk. Last I heard, he was up for trial (this was at least 10 years ago).

Anybody know what happended to him?

Flintstone
24th Nov 2000, 17:00
Matthius Rust.........now there's an idiot.

Got banged up but given early release (I think) in the spirit of glasnost.

Flypuppy
25th Nov 2000, 03:31
Copied and translated from a Dutch website:
In the midst of the Cold War, a 19-year-old West German made a mockery of Soviet air defenses. On May 28, 1987, Mathias Rust flew a borrowed Cessna from Helsinki, Finland, to Moscow's Red Square - and landed there.
Mr. Rust had logged only 40 hours of flight time. He said the flight was in the interest of world peace. After landing, he signed autographs until he was arrested.
The stunt earned him a four-year prison term from a Soviet court. It also prompted then-Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev to dismiss two high-ranking military officials. But after Rust's parents and a number of countries pleaded for clemency, Rust was freed after 14 months.
After his release, Rust fell in love with a nurse while working in a German hospital. When she rebuffed his advances, he became violent. Rust was sentenced to 2-1/2 years in prison.
In 1994, Rust returned to Russia to visit an orphanage, and dropped out of sight. He was spotted again in 1997 selling shoes in Moscow. He reportedly has converted to Hinduism and was planning to marry an Indian woman and return to Germany.

Flap 5
26th Nov 2000, 01:34
A fairly typical young american then?

TrueNorth
27th Nov 2000, 18:26
German...

Thanks for the info. Didn`t realise he had gone quite so far off the rails. I was in West Germany when it happened - incredible story, really.