PDA

View Full Version : Could these headsets be rewired for use in aircraft?

AdamFrisch
20th Nov 2011, 20:34
Asus has just released their new noise cancelling gaming headsets. They're about $120 a pair. Be nice to have a set for my passengers in the back. Do you think they could be rewired to work with aviation plugs? Be a cheap option if they could.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Peripherals & Accessories- ASUS Vulcan ANC (http://www.asus.com/Peripherals_Accessories/HeadphonesHeadset/Vulcan_ANC/)

Jan Olieslagers
20th Nov 2011, 21:02
Hard to say anything definitive, with the little information given. For listening, they might well work ok, but I have my doubts about the microphone. Aviator's headsets still conform to the needs of carbon microphones, whereas PC's and other gaming devices are a bit more up to date.

mad_jock
20th Nov 2011, 21:24
The impedence of them is going to cause you issues I think DC's are 150ohms for the cans and 50 for the mic or it could be the other way round.

You will have to have a look through the tech specs of the intercom to see if they are within the range it can operate with.

I ain't very wiggly amp savy though but I would stay clear of anything which isn't the same as what ever the tech sheets of DC say.