PDA

View Full Version : Attn. 747-400 drivers

JammedStab
20th Nov 2011, 20:22
I have a sim eval coming up on the 747-400 and could really use a few tips. I used to fly steam guage Boeings until about 2 years ago and have been a prop guy since then.

Here is a portion of the scenario given to me for preview...

- Takeoff with F/D and A/T, straight out departure, cleans up and accelerates to

250kt, climb to and maintain 5,000ft.

- After level off at 5,000ft, make 25˚ bank turn without F/D, both to the left and to the

right, of 90˚.

- 1,000ft fixed rate climb and descent without F/D

- Steep turn at 5,000ft through 180˚ at 280kt.

- Visual approach to a full stop landing from 12nm, starting on base leg, with ILS

but without F/D.

- Manually flown ILS approach and landing with F/D. (Ceiling 500ft, visibility 2000m).

- Takeoff with an outboard engine failure at, or after, V1.

One-engine inoperative, manually flown ILS approach and landing with F/D (ceiling

500ft, visibility 3km).

Performance
TOW 258.0T
FUEL 20.0T
ZFW 238.0T
RESERVES 10.0T
COST INDEX 100

Takeoff Reference Data

T/O THRUST TO2 64C
FLAP/ACCEL HT 20/1000 ft
E/O ACCEL HT 1000 ft
THR REDUCTION Flap 5 CLB 2
TRIM/CG 5.6/23%

Flap Speed V speed

FLAP UP 226
FLAP 1 206
FLAP 5 186
FLAP 10 166
FLAP 20 156
FLAP 30 147

Other speeds

V2 146
VR 137
V1 129
VAPP 151

Below is a posting I once made for a request I had once about a 737-200 sim eval. Something similar for me would be nice.

Rotate to about 15° noseup and hold it there initially. Hopefully they will brief you on what calls to make and when to clean up but I would typically clean up from say flaps 5 by calling for flaps 1 at 170 knots and flaps up at 190 knots. Scan,scan,scan.

Depending on your weight and outside conditions, you could be climbing very quickly in this aircraft down low. If so, when you get close to an altitude where you are going to level off(such as 1500' to go), bring the power back to about 1.6 EPR. Or better yet ask the fellow beside you to do it and as much else as you can reasonably expect him to do. Including flying the aircraft while you brief.

You may be given a bunch of power and pitch settings to memorize for level flight. Remember that in this jet, you don't put the nose on the horizon to level off. You fly level in a nose-up attitude. 250 knots is a nice round number to level off at if not directed differently. Try 1.3 EPR and 4° nose up. Simulators for these old aircraft are not like flying the real aircraft. Expect to be going above and below your altitude if you are not used to the sim. Try not to overtrim. Try short bursts of trim. Things do settle down though if you can set that target attitude fairly close and have the thrust set. The pitch sensitivity will frustrate you.

When levelling off from the descent and slowing down for the approach remember that noseup attitude again. You might ask the other guy to set the flight director on your side for approach along with all the other stuff he set up for you. If not given different speeds by your evaluator, I would try to target 210 knots in level flight and perhaps 15 miles from touchdown go flaps 1 slowing to 190 then select flaps 5 at 190 slowing to 170. You might sit at this speed for a while. Approaching the glidelope you are now set for say at glideslope1 dot or whatever you were briefed to do...select gear down and flaps 15. Watch your speed as drag is now significantly increasing.

Once on the glide you are ready for flaps 25 and flaps 30. On the real aircraft, 3000 lbs/hr fuel flow works great at flaps 30. 4000 lbs/hour for flaps 40 if you were to land that way. Hopefully not. Remember, as speed is decreasing close toward your target bug speed, start adding your target approach power prior to the speed actually reaching the bug as there is a spool up time. When you are on speed, only small power changes are required. If you find yourself very fast on approach, do not go to idle thrust. Try 1.1 EPR and start powering back up to approach thrust as the speed approaches the target.

If you have to go around, I would suggest saying go around thrust/flaps 15 while simultaneously advancing the thrust levers and rotating back to 15° nose up. Then clean up.

Have fun. You probably won't if this is your first time in a sim.

main_dog
21st Nov 2011, 07:51
This old thread should help:

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/436854-b747-400-sim-hints-tricks-etc.html

Best of luck,

MD