PDA

View Full Version : Non-LVO takeoff RVR's (EU-OPS)

a320_richie
19th Nov 2011, 20:12
I tried using the search function and google but no luck so here it goes:

At my home base there are no LVP's and the ILS approach is only CAT-1. For landing it is clear: EU-OPS DH 200 feet and 550M RVR.

Now for take-off:
no-lvo means: 400m RVR. But... what if the stop-end is less than this?? typically our accelerate-stop distance gives us between 30-100m margine. So I should consider the stop-end RVR as relevant.

Any thoughts and references?? Thanks!

aerobat77
19th Nov 2011, 20:59
czesc !

i think yes you must.

here:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:254:0001:0238:EN:PDF

you can read something about it, and you can read that when it comes to take off minima all relevant rvr points are to be considered. when your acc stop distance gives a margin of 30-100 meters the stop end rvr seems relevant . thats the hairsplitting law.

in real life when the tdz rvr is sufficient i think you may decide to just go instead of leaving your passengers in the terminal. :ok:

The African Dude
19th Nov 2011, 20:59
I'm not sure about the procedures at your particular home base, but in most cases LVOs will be in force if the visibility is below 550m. At AMS for example, below 1500m RVR is the first stage of LVO procedure.

However your procedures should be in OPS B.
Ours states:
"Relevant Runway Visual Range: Take-off: RVR for that part of the runway used to accelerate to V1 followed by a rejected takeoff and deceleration down to a speed of approximately 60 knots."

OPS B also gives a table of required RVR for Takeoff under different circumstances. Without LVOs in force, the minimum for us is 150m (with some other conditions met).

a320_richie
19th Nov 2011, 21:29
Thanks. Our OM-B doesn't state the 60kts however everyone always assumes this. Then our OM-A states that an LVO take-off is considered any takeoff below 400m RVR and LVP's must be in force.

EU-OPS states that RVR depends on runway lights etc. It only says below 150m (until 125m provided approval etc.) LVP's must be in force.

I was hoping that there would be someway to take off with RVR 400m at takeoff and lets say 250m at the stop-end...

I guess we are stuck with the OM-A and we just watch the other guys take-off (hear the other guys take-off) when the RVR is below 400m

FE Hoppy
20th Nov 2011, 09:43
The 60kt value comes from the regulations ops 1.405 has the following note:
Note: ‘Relevant’, in this context, means that part of the runway used during the high speed phase of the landing down to a speed of approximately 60 knots.

this is for commencement and continuation of approach.

1.430 deals with take off and here there is no value given to the definition relevant.

for low vis ops it simply states

Note 3:The reported RVR/Visibility value representative of the initial part of the take-off run can be replaced by pilot assessment.
Note 4: The required RVR value must be achieved for all of the relevant RVR reporting points with the exception given in Note 3 above.

I'm not sure how appropriate it is to use the 60kt value for take off. In any case values for accelerate stop distance are given to V=0 not V=<60 so there would be no way of checking relevant to < 60 kt.