PDA

View Full Version : Three in family what to do ppl

chairmanjim
19th Nov 2011, 10:48
Dear all,
We are three members of the same family that want to learn to fly. Would it be best to buy a suitable trainer and which type (preferences something relatively cheap to maintain such as a Europa XS Tri Gear) then arrange for a flying school to provide the training? Comments please.
:confused:

2high2fastagain
19th Nov 2011, 15:35
Two of us in our family. Where we ended up was to both train on venerable old 2 seat Cessnas, then when one of us qualified we bought the tourer that met our needs and then did the differences training so we could fly it. Another factor for us was that a big 4 seater picks up a crippling insurance hike if it's used ab initio training.

Provided it's legal, then your proposed way forward also sounds fine. I think the point about about picking an aircraft that is easy to fly (which the previous ppruner made) is crucial. You want all three of you to get through the course, so pick an aircraft that makes it easy. You don't want an aircraft that immediately stops flying and dumps you on the runway if you get a tinsy bit slow for example. Other ppruners will doubtless be able to give some good advice on this thread.

I hope you have a great time. But stick with it. I think it will be tough for three of you. One of you will doubtless be much better at it than the others, one won't like it that much and the other probably won't be able to find the time to do it (or equivalent difficulties). I'd recommend you start out with the clear intention to support one another rather than compete. One more thing. If one or more of the three family members is a son or daughter, do remember the rule. You can complete a PPL in 45 hours provided you are a teenager. After that simply add on your age to find out how long it will take to qualify. I was in my forties and yes, it did...

Whopity
19th Nov 2011, 16:49
CAA specifically permits close family members to learn on a sole-owned permit aircraft.Actually they don't, see AIC White 1/2011Note: Training for the initial issue of an NPPL, PPL, CPL, IMC Rating, Instrument Rating or other 'ab initio' training is not permitted. The
intention is to allow individuals to pay for training that enables them to regain currency, renew a licence, learn a new skill (such as
short field landings) or become familiar with a new type etc.

foxmoth
20th Nov 2011, 16:07
Whopity - I think you will find you are looking at jointly owned aircraft, if you look at solely owned in the same AIC you will see that this is permitted - the CAA accepts close family members as it being sole ownership ( unless of course the aircraft is also owned by others not in the family).

Whopity
20th Nov 2011, 17:15
There are two separate issues, one relates to payment and aerial work, the other relates to the Permit. JAR-FCL 1.125 requires that aeroplanes used for PPL training have a C of A.

foxmoth
20th Nov 2011, 18:45
Read section 3 of the AIC you quoted. If I am wrong then I have been getting it wrong for the last 30 years!