PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Palma (PMI)

320DRIVER
5th Dec 2001, 18:17
First of all, many thanks to all those who gave me very interesting information re: flying into Teheran and that material was put to good use!

I'll soon be flying to Palma (PMI) and I would appreciate any feedback you guys (and girls) might have on this airport, including any special notes.

Thanks in advance!

sharpshot
5th Dec 2001, 19:09
Learn Spanish;
a) To fathom out where you are in the sequence
b) To find out which Spanish callsigns just leap frogged you.

Last time I landed there on 24L, a Metro had been left in the runway strip - presumably it had had a mishap.

Buena suerte!

Eff Oh
5th Dec 2001, 21:02
No major hassle at PMI.
Generally vector you for 24L. You take off on 24R. Sometimes get taken out towards the east of the island, and turned onto the ILS a LONG way out. Don't know about the A320, but the B757 doesn't like the ILS at that range, and tends to weave about a bit! :)
Its not bad at all! Nice long runways.
Eff Oh.

nice_beaver
6th Dec 2001, 01:00
They get upset if you don't keep 210 to 12 miles, even if they keep you high, and beware the spanish calm?

NB

Smudge's Lot
6th Dec 2001, 14:30
The strange thing I find at PMI is that you get radar vectors for 24L but when the Easterlies are in use they(ATC) say "cleared to the ADX NDB...cleared for the approach 06L" ie-get on with it yourself.Just don't get too fast leaving ADX!

andy.summers
8th Dec 2001, 02:01
Considering how busy it is in Summer I think it works very well. Several points:

- 1st RET on 24L is difficult to make on heavier jets, resulting in a roll on to a normal turn-off much further on. I think Tower sometimes expect you to make the first one, and as you exit at the 2nd you see the lights of the following Iberia touching down.

- In Summer even if you do not have a slot you flight plan is cancelled 30 minutes after your expected departure time. Palma Operations (frequency on aerodrome plate) is probably the quickest place to get the plan refiled.

- When busy call Tower early on approach. My mate in a 757 says he went round recently as they couldn't get a word in, as did the preceding traffic.

- One of the entry points to 06R has been closed for some time. Take care at night, as recently someone had to shut down and get a tug to push them back from it.

Oh, and by the way we were one of a load of aircraft on the ground there for 3 hours on 16 November due to ice pellets which closed the runway and revealed the lack of deicing equipment!