PDA

View Full Version : Calling A330 Drivers...

PFR
21st Nov 2000, 23:51
I wonder if any of you good ladies & gents would care to comment?
(Taken from my earlier post)....still appreciate any more feedback & thanks again to all those who've already contributed.

`Many thanks for your replies F/O Junior and Flap 5. Your observations on landing Flap 5 are supported by my memories of riding with Lufthansa on crewing training in the A340. The initial landings and the ability to place the nose gear without a heavy `thump' being a large challenge. It seemed pilots coming from the other `heavies' particularly the 747 found the visuals in the de-rotation, flying through the horizon to place the nosegear most disconcerting, all due the aircaft's nose down attitude. Story goes that Aerospatiale miscalculated the nose gear length required not releasing until near roll-out the A310/A300-600 NLG was not going to do it! Subsequent flight tests found no detrimental handling with the nose down state, although worries had existed that the aft doors might not meet airbridges.
Anyway back to my original thread, thanks for all the feedback so far, just a couple of queries if I may.
1)Limitation nose wheel steering angle - due main gear loading, how does that impact operationally?
2)Fuel system - any trim tank problems like plagued the A310, A300-600?
3)Any comments on provisioning fuel jettison?
4)What's the opinion on brake fans?
5)Air System - pax fainting cabin air quality/temperature, what occurances these days? Big problem for the 340 operators in the early days.
6)Any observations on the functionality of the FMS?
7)Tailwind T/O limitation standard 10 knots increase limit of 15 knots available for the trent motors'.
Thanks again for all the replies good or bad.
Cheers PFR.

Eff Oh
22nd Nov 2000, 00:28
With reference to point 1)
See "A330 incident @ MAN" further down the board!!! :) :) :) Think that answers the question! :)
Eff Oh.

Tom Tipper
22nd Nov 2000, 04:43
Just some points if they help......
1)Limitation nose wheel steering angle - due main gear loading, how does that impact operationally?

Ans: Only a problem on runways < 50m-55m width and then only if 180 deg turn required.
Easy if nose placed well past runway edge on initial turn (although disconcerting)

2)Fuel system - any trim tank problems like plagued the A310, A300-600?

Ans: Were some pump problems with freezing in pipes when a/c supercooled during long flights, but now rectified.

3)Any comments on provisioning fuel jettison?
Ans: It is an option but perhaps cheaper to burn-off fuel when needed to land at Max LW?

4)What's the opinion on brake fans?

Ans: If you have tight turnarounds after landing on runways < 3000m like we do at CX then it is a good idea. Some wgt penalty I believe (?)

5)Air System - pax fainting cabin air quality/temperature, what occurances these days? Big problem for the 340 operators
in the early days.

Ans: No problem.

6)Any observations on the functionality of the FMS?

Ans: Fairly reliable. Operationally good but could do with being faster.

7)Tailwind T/O limitation standard 10 knots increase limit of 15 knots available for the trent motors'.

Ans: We use the 15 kt limit for landing and it helps here in Asia (especially CLK in HK with its flukey winds and Taipei with the strong winds). Aircraft not pleasant in the cockpit in turbulence.
-------------------------------------
Overall a good aircraft. The Trents give it great climb performance.

qrh
22nd Nov 2000, 13:55
Ref Nosewheel steering angle/ eff oh comments:

MAN incident had nothing whatsovever to do with nosewheel steering angle availability.