PDA

View Full Version : Any UA pilots here?

Markus109
20th Nov 2000, 06:33
Hello
I have a question.
I fly with United from FRA to Chicago/O Hare
and then to DFW at Dec9th.
I am ATP Pilot and travell to Dallas for an Falcon 20 rating.
It would be nice when i could take a look into the Flight deck.
Is that possible,because i heard a FAA rule is that no passengers are allowed at the Flight Deck.
I hope for some replys.
Greets Markus
Always happy landings.
P.s the Flight numbers are UA945 and UA1707.

bozosat6&10
20th Nov 2000, 08:11
I'm not with UA--but under U.S. air regs
we have the same constraints on cockpit access: Plan your cockpit visit during the boarding process--or during disembarkation.
'Them's the rules'.

Markus109
22nd Nov 2000, 02:40
Hello
I am waiting for more replys :)
Is it not possible to take a look at the F/D at the flight at US.Airlines?
Greets Markus
Always happy landings

KaptainKangaroo
22nd Nov 2000, 02:44
Not an UA pilot, but you can forget about visiting the cockpit during flight, those are U.S. regulations. the only time you can get access to the cockpit is if you're a jumpseater, employed by a U.S. carrier.

hope that helped

McD
22nd Nov 2000, 03:20
Sorry to be another bearer of bad news, Markus, but what everyone here has said is true. If you fly with a USA-based airline, you can not visit the cockpit during flight. It's nothing personal. . . they would probably be very glad to have you visit before or after the flight. It's just a different set of rules.

Markus109
22nd Nov 2000, 04:29
Hello
I am sad to hear that.
At german and many european airlines it is not a problem to take a visit at the F/D.
Hm so i will take a look before flight.
Thanks for the infos.
Greets from Markus
Always happy landings.

LAVDUMPER
22nd Nov 2000, 07:22
Markus,

My advice would be to have a copy of your license ready and ask the flight attendant once you board for permission to "view the cockpit." Do not ask in an "aggressive" tone. Be friendly and just ask in an innocent tone. My guess is that the United flight out of Frankfurt will be a 777 - which boards near the middle of the aircraft - you will likely not be able to see the actual cockpit from the entrance. Your flight to Dallas will likely use a 737-300 or a 727 - it will be easier to see the cockpit from the entrance because of its relative location. Just be a "nice guy" and have your license ready in case they ask for it. Of course, it might help if you carry a camera and request to take a picture of the cockpit...

Good luck!

Sighcopilot
22nd Nov 2000, 08:04
Information in some of above not correct. I don't work for US airline but have FAA ticket and jumpseat regularly. Give ATP + Company ID to gate agent and ask jumpseat request be forwarded to the PIC. You will fill out standard FAA jumpseat form.

Markus109
22nd Nov 2000, 17:21
Hello
My information are that the flight out of Frankfurt will be a 747/400 and the flight out from Chicago to Dallas will be a 737/500.
So i will try it an show them my german ATP but i dont have an Airline I.D because i am working for a corporate company.
So what could i show them?
Greets Markus
Always happy landings

Check 6
22nd Nov 2000, 22:44
There is no such thing as a "standard FAA jumpseat form." US regulations prohibit anyone from jumpseating unless FAA representative, secret service agent, or air carrier pilot (FAR 121 or 135). The jumpseater on a US airline is considered a CREWMEMBER, not a guest, not a visitor, but a CREWMEMBER. The final authority on who may jumpseat is of course up to the PIC (P1). Jumpseating on other than US aircarriers is different.

Good luck with you aviation career.

Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

atomic
26th Nov 2000, 01:57
Hi!! Hear it from a UAL guy: Access to the flight deck is governed by FAR 121.547. There are FAA requirements and in addition to that there are company policies. The FAR's don't allow any unauthorized people in the cockpit while the plane is operated. At UAL, not even a company flight attendant is allowed to occupy the cockpit jumpseat. The cockpit door must be locked while the plane is operated, that's FAA rule. The captain is as always the final authority as to who enters the flight deck, but even he/she will follow the laws and guidelines strictly. The only chance you have to be admitted to the flight deck is as what we call an OMC, Observer Member of the Crew. To do this, you Licensed Pilot (US) and be employed by a US certificated 121 or 135 carrier/company which has an agreement with UAL to comply with UAL/FAA requirements to do the OMC thing. Other companies who don't have an agreement with US: The captain is governed under the guideline that he/she must then have personal knowledge that the individual to verify compliance with the OMC requirements, that's what our flight operations manual states. The Feds really have taken most of the fun out of flying, haven't they???

atomic
26th Nov 2000, 02:25
Hey Markus!!

(Just a personal comment to my previous post)

Ganz schoen bloed, dass die das so kompliziert machen, was?! Wir koennen nicht mal 'nen Lufthansa Piloten auf unseren Jumpseat lassen, weil der/die nicht bei einem US Carrier arbeitet. Auf der anderen Seite habe ich schon gehoert dass unsere Piloten bei der LH auf den Jumpseat durften. Durch die Star Alliance haben wir das Code-share agreement zwischen der LH und UAL. Informiere Dich mal wie die Lufthansa das sieht und buche Deinen Fra - US Flug um auf einen UAL Flug der von der Lufthansa geflogen wird, ansonsten kann's nicht schaden einfach mal zu fragen, aber , ohne pessimistisch sein zu wollen, die Chancen auf den UAL jumpseat sind sehr gering, da wir da gehoerig mit Aerger mit der FAA kriegen koennen, die druecken da absolut kein Auge zu!