PDA

View Full Version : Airport Categories?

z.khalid
15th Nov 2011, 14:20
I read this online that in some places first officers are not allowed to take off or land at an airport of category C.

What is a cat C airport exactly..

BOAC
15th Nov 2011, 15:06
CAT C Airfields Europe, EU OPS 1.975 [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums (http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-405577.html)

Luc Lion
15th Nov 2011, 15:37
Aiports are put in one of three ctaegory by the operators as a result of a risk assessment of the operations at this airport.
This categorisation of airports is related to OPS 1.975 "Route and aerodrome competence qualification".

The current EU-OPS regulation does not mention anymore this risk assessment, but the elder JAR-OPS was stating:
ROUTE COMPETENCE TRAINING (JAR-OPS 1.975)
1. Prior to being assigned as pilot-in-command the pilot shall undergo training to ensure that he has obtained adequate knowledge of the route to be flown and of the aerodromes (including alternates), facilities and procedures to be used. The validity period is 12 calendar months.
2. Route competence training will include knowledge of:
a. terrain and minimum safe altitudes,
b. seasonal meteorological conditions,
c. meteorological, communication and air traffic facilities, services
and procedures;
d. for aerodrome competence qualification the operator shall:
*For Category A aerodromes; The captain is responsible for acquiring the knowledge of that aerodrome
*For Category B aerodromes; The captain should be briefed, or self-briefed by means of programmed instruction, on the Category B aerodrome(s) concerned and should certify that he has carried out these instructions.
*For Category C aerodromes; The captain should be briefed and visit the aerodrome as an observer and/or undertake instruction in a flight simulator approved by the Authority for that purpose. This
instruction should be certified by the operator.
e. search and rescue
f. navigational facilities associated with the route along which the flight is to take place.

I also understand that the differences between categories A, B and C are:

A Category A airfield satisfies all of the following requirements:
(a) An approved instrument approach procedure.
(b) At least on runway with no performance limited procedure for take-off and/or landing
(c) Published circling minima not higher than 1000ft
(d) Night operations capability
A Category B airfield is an airfield which does not satisfy all of the Category A airfield requirements, or which requires extra
considerations such as:
(a) Non Standard Approach aids and / or approach patterns, or
(b) Unusual local weather conditions or
(c) Unusual characteristics or performance limitations, or
(d) Any other relevant considerations including obstructions, physical layout, lighting etc.
A Category C airfield requires additional considerations to a Category B aerodrome and is considered to pose certain problems for
the approach and / or landing and / or take-off.

OverRun
16th Nov 2011, 08:32
There is no official list of category C airports, and each operator maintains its own list. Further, classifying an airport in category B or in category C will depend on the limitations of the aircraft type operated.

This OPS 1.975 "categorization" is different to the others that exist (which may be termed categories or codes):
- ICAO aerodrome reference code (Annex 14; i.e. runway and taxiway width; examples are 3C, 4C, 4E)
- ICAO approach category (ICAO PANS/OPS Doc 8168 i.e. speeds for the initial and final approach phases)
- ICAO airport category for fire and rescue (ICAO DOC 9137; i.e. big shiny fire engines)
- ICAO subgrade strength category for pavement strength rating (i.e A, B, C, D)

The OPS 1.975 category combined airlines list from 2010 PPRUNE posts and Luc's post below is:

OPS 1.975 "Route and aerodrome competence qualification" Candidates for Category C amongst European Airports

BGBW Narsarsuaq, Greenland
BIAR Akureyri, Iceland
EGLC London City, UK
ENTC Tromso, Norway
LFKC Calvi [Ste-Catherine], Corsica
LFKJ Ajaccio, Corsica
LFLB Chambery [Aix-lès-Bains], France
LGSK Skiathos, Greece
LGSM Samos, Greece
LOWI Innsbruck, Austria
LOWK Klagenfurt, Austria
LOWS Salzburg, Austria
LPMA Madeira, (Funchal)
LRBC Bacau, Romania
LSGS Sion, Switzerland
LSZS Samedan, Switzerland
LYTV Tivat, Serbia

If anyone has more airports, I'll update this list again. Thanks Luc for your helpful inputs.

Luc Lion
16th Nov 2011, 09:24
Overrun,

there is no official list of category C airports.
Each operator maintains its own list.

Further, classifying an airport in category B or in category C will depends on the limitations of the aircraft type operated.
I understand that some airports could be considered B for turboprops and C for heavy jets (eg LFKJ Ajaccio).

If you are willing to maintain a list of european airports that are candidates for inclusion in category C, you can also include:

BGBW Narsarsuaq, Greenland
BIAR Akureyri, Iceland
ENTC Tromso, Norway
LOWK Klagenfurt, Austria
LRBC Bacau, Romania
LYTV Tivat, Serbia