PDA

View Full Version : Emigrating to Canada!

Stecovich
15th Nov 2011, 05:29
Hi!

I'm about to finish my ICAO-licence in about six months in South Africa, i.e. not very much of experience in flying! What chances of getting a flying job in Canada do I have and what do I need to do for that to happen?

Thanks for any answers!

+TSRA
15th Nov 2011, 05:47
1. Work permit - just don't tell them you're a pilot because there are enough pilots out of work in Canada who are citizens or residents to fill the projected workforce and they would not let you in on that.

2. Canadian licences - sorry mate, but we have our own standards that would exempt you on your current licences. You'll have to do the conversion tests and perhaps additional flying depending on your experience.

3. Decide on your career path - once you've gotten over the first hurdle, which is your biggest show stopper (and unfortunately it is) and you've converted your licence, you will need to look for work from either flight instructor, charter pilot, bush pilot, etc. most come with a year or more of ramp work so be prepared not to fly for a while on little money.

4. Be prepared for some resentment - just like a lot of places in the world, Canada is in tough times, and while there is work opening up there are still more out of work pilots than there are jobs, so you may cop a bit of attitude for getting a job when a Canadian pilot could have had it.

As for references, I only give out Welcome / Bienvenue (http://www.tc.gc.ca) which is the link to transport Canada - it will answer most of your questions when you look for the Canadian aviation regulations and the "I want to be a pilot" sections.

Good luck.

evansb
23rd Nov 2011, 00:47
Watch the entire reality TV series ICE PILOTS. FLYING WILD ALASKA will also serve as a good primer.

PT6A
23rd Nov 2011, 21:28
If you can get the FAA to give you a licence on the back of your XYZ licence.. Then you can take your FAA to Canada and just do a quick 25 question test.... No need to do any of the other Canadian flying exams or tests.