PDA

View Full Version : US Crew/visitor Visa and ESTA

Shiny side down
14th Nov 2011, 22:12
Sorry if this has been done before, but I didn't track it down with the search function. And in these times of 'fluid' regulations (as opposed to regulations on fluids), what was true yesteryear may be different now.

I have in my passport, US C1/D and B1/B2.
It has been suggested that I still need ESTA before going to the US for simulator check/training*. I was under the impression ESTA applied to the Visa Waiver program. Having B1/B2 VISA, means no need for ESTA, me thunked.

*AFSP/TSA approval granted for training.

proxus
14th Nov 2011, 23:37
I just recently got the same Visas as you have and, if I remember correctly, had to go through the ESTA program before I filled out the application for the US C1/D and B1/B2.

Few weeks I went as a tourist through BOS and filled in the form as I would be arriving as ESTA. However, the border agent sent me back to fill out the form according to the B1/2 as it superseded the ESTA visa waiver.

Gomrath
15th Nov 2011, 00:19
I was under the impression ESTA applied to the Visa Waiver program. Having B1/B2 VISA, means no need for ESTA, me thunked.

You are correct in your thinking.
You only need ESTA if you are traveling under the Visa Waiver Program.
Here are the details:
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

L'aviateur
15th Nov 2011, 02:43
You do not need the ESTA if you are entering the country on either your B1/B2 or C1-D. Just fill in the visa form prior to arrival.

ESTA applies ONLY to Visa Waiver entries.

Jodz211
1st Jul 2014, 20:00
My partner has just moved to the states and has been given a 5 year visa however I can only go with him if we are married. I was going to apply for a esta visa however working on ships I have a c1d visa valid til 2018. Does this mean I can access the states for the next 3 years? Someone help?

Thanks in advance

mustafagander
2nd Jul 2014, 05:02
RTFQ.

Crew visas are only valid for crew situations. Check it yourself, but AFAIK you need the ESTA to enter for personal time.

Piltdown Man
9th Jul 2014, 08:33
It's about time each and every European country demanded US crews to apply for crew visas. It should take three weeks for each visa application. After all, we can't be too careful and we should follow the leader in matters like this.

oceancrosser
11th Jul 2014, 02:33
Hear hear! And no easy walks through immigration in Europe for US crews either. Let them endure something similar as we have to at US gateways :ugh:

MrTurbine
30th Dec 2016, 05:57
I have a B1/B2 visa for the US.
Applying for a major airline soon as a pilot. Also planning to Apply for the Crew Visa so that I'll get the job.
Do I need to have a job offer first to get the crew visa?(I don't think so)
Having a B1/B2 visa, do I even need a crew visa to act as pilot on the airline between the US and Can?(I think so)
(I'm a Canadian PR)
Thanks to anyone that helps me out.

Water Wings
30th Dec 2016, 22:14
Seeing as a C1-D Visa requires supporting documents from your employer and is specifically annotated with the organisations name, I think you are going to find yourself out of luck trying to do this yourself in advance.

Bealzebub
30th Dec 2016, 22:53
From the US embassy (london) website, you require as part of your documentary evidence:
A letter from your employer on letter headed stationary confirming your employment with the company and period that you will be in the United States.
A B1/B2 visa is insufficient to operate as a crew-member. It can be applied for at the same time (and often is) in order to save costs.

You would be as well checking the US embassy (Ottawa) website for any derogations that may be pertinent to Canadian citizens.

galaxy flyer
31st Dec 2016, 21:37
A B1 visa won't make you eligible for employment in the US, either, so you'll need a green card to apply for a job or be sponsored for an H1. A crew visa won't make you eligible.

B-1 Business Visitor Ineligible activies
The following activities require a working visa, and may not be carried out by business visitors:

Running a business.

"Gainful employment".

Payment by an organization within the US.

Participating as a professional in entertainment or sporting events.

Jonai Chui
9th Jan 2017, 00:40
I'm not an attorney.

But I'm just wondering if it's allowed to enter US to receive training on B, C or D visa.

Could your AFSP/TSA be approved with such visas?

In my understanding, M or F visa is mandatory for any flight training.