PDA

View Full Version : A few aviation-related questions

Nicholas49
14th Nov 2011, 15:23
Hello,

I have a few (entirely unrelated) questions about flying. I would -as ever- be grateful if a professional pilot could help answer one or more of them.

1) About learning from air accidents. I imagine that flying schools implement changes in the changes to techniques/procedures that come out of accident reports into their ATPL programmes/exams etc and that this is done with assistance from the regulator.

But how do airlines do it? Is there a pilot (training captain?) in the training department with specific authority/responsibility for reviewing air accident reports, implementing any changes into the company's Operating Manual? Is it also the responsibility of / good practice for line pilots to keep up-to-date with air accident reports that relate to their aircraft type? Is this the sort of thing that is covered in the six-monthly simulator session? I ask (nervously!) whether there might be an analogy with the legal profession whereby new-entrants to the profession, fresh from academic training, knowledgeable of the latest laws (and yet lacking practical application), become trainees at firms where their crusty old supervisors aren't always so familiar with the latest updates (but far more experienced in practice, of course)? NOT to dismiss the role/competence of airline training departments, of course, but you get my drift....

2) Having read about the LOT aircraft that landed without landing gear on the Flight Deck forum, I wondered whether it is standard procedure in such a scenario to shut down the engines as soon the aircraft is on the ground? Presumably, there is a significant risk of fire and the reverse thrust is of little use without wheels?

3) Bit of an unusual question, but...I know that the role of PF and PNF is clearly assigned before each flight. Indeed, some captains even tell the passengers which way round it is for their flight (a nice touch, IMHO). What happens though when, for whatever reason - the captain calls 'I have control' and takes over to become PF at a critical stage of flight? The scenario I have in mind is where an inexperienced F/O gets out of their depth (it must happen, albeit rarely, right?) Do the PF/PNF roles reverse automatically? Would the be F/O be expected immediately to fulfil the PNF duties (e.g. check-lists, radios) if you were - for example - on final approach? Again, is this practised in the sim?

Nick

Denti
14th Nov 2011, 16:39
1) Flight schools not so much, i haven't seen many changes there caused by accidents and incidents.

Airlines on the other hand do quite a bit to keep up, and from what i've seen the larger airlines keep a working relationship between their safety departments. Current incidents, both those from our own operation as well from other operators, will usually turn up at the next simulator event.

2) That is covered by the Partial Or Gear Up Landing checklist and the evacuation checklist. It depends on type and as i do not fly the 767 i can't really comment on that case.

3) Role changes are not unusual, and yes, the former PF will now be the PM and do the duties of that role. However, even a new FO has to be trained to competence and should never be out of his depth.

Nicholas49
15th Nov 2011, 08:56
Thanks, Denti.

Re. 3) Yes, I do appreciate it would be a very rare occurrence.