PDA

View Full Version : Airman Certificate vs Aircraft Registration

Pilotr
12th Nov 2011, 22:43
What is the correlation between the nationality of the Airman Cert and the Registration of the aircraft, possibly including the location of the aircraft?

EX: Chinese pilot with only a Chinese Airman Cert, fully qualified and Typed in specific aircraft. Can he fly a USA "N" registered aircraft while in the USA? How about if the same aircraft was located outside of the US and never returned to it's home country?

Source of guidance also please?

Thanks!

Check Airman
13th Nov 2011, 01:45
On the face of it, I'd say no. However I would not be surprised if the certificate holder would be able to get a waiver.

captjns
13th Nov 2011, 10:41
Let’s use a pilot with a US FAA ATP certificate. Let’s also assume the individual has a B727 type rating as well. Provided he is current and qualified on the B727 he can fly any “N” registered B727 no matter what part of the world the aircraft is located.

However, that individual cannot exercise the privilege as PIC, nor be a crewmember, on the B727 that is registered in another country they receive either a license from that specific country or are able to obtain a validation to operate that specific aircraft with the registration indicated as such on the validation.

Rwy in Sight
13th Nov 2011, 11:15
How does it work with a leased aircraft? More specific Alitalia us(ed) to fly EI- register aircraft in domestic routes. Should the crew hold an Italian or an Irish CPL - ignoring the JAA issues for a moment?

SLF here so I feel ok with my input being ignored.

Rwy in Sight

CJ Driver
13th Nov 2011, 17:14
In the general international case, the nationality of the airman certificate must match the nationality of the aircraft registration to grant the right to operate in any other country.

Many countries have additional local privileges for their own licence holders, or their own aircraft registry. Examples would be that a pilot with a licence from country X may be allowed to fly an aircraft with any country of registration whilst in the airspace of country X.

The additional complication - which may explain Italians flying Irish aircraft (although I have not checked) - is that certain countries agree to interchange licences, such that the licence is considered supra-national - hence an EASA licence may be treated in any other EASA country as equivalent to a local licence.

Pilotr
13th Nov 2011, 20:08
Thank you for the responses.

Going back to the above hypothetical 727 answer....suppose a non US licensed airman (fully licensed and typed on a 727) wants to fly a US "N" registered 727 in his home country (outside of US)..............any ideas?

thanks again

Denti
13th Nov 2011, 20:39
@Rwy: EU license, EU registered aircraft is absolutely no problem, which is the case with EI-registered aircraft flying in an italian company.

@Pilotr, within his home country it depends on local laws and might be possible. Internationally most probably not.

Pilotr
13th Nov 2011, 22:38
Thanks again to all

captjns
14th Nov 2011, 11:02
Thank you for the responses.

Going back to the above hypothetical 727 answer....suppose a non US licensed airman (fully licensed and typed on a 727) wants to fly a US "N" registered 727 in his home country (outside of US)..............any ideas?

thanks again

As long as he does not get caught. But seriously to answer your question... No. To my knowlege, the FAA does not issue validations to foreign airmen cerificates. Many years ago I was contracted by an Irish agency to position a US registered 727 from Paris Orly to Shannon. The rules still have not changed, as I have recently ferried a US registered 737 from Germany to the Middle East.

MarkerInbound
14th Nov 2011, 17:04
To fly an N registered aircraft in the US requires a FAA certificate. HOWEVER, to fly a N registered aircraft in another country requires either a FAA certificate OR what ever that country requires. Same thing applies in reverse, you bring a "G" aircraft to the US, all the FAA says is you need either a CAA license OR a FAA cert. What the CAA says, I have no idea.

61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/e/ecfr/graphics/ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif top (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div5&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2&idno=14#PartTop)

(a) Pilot certificate. No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of the United States, unless that person—
(1) Has a pilot certificate blah blah blah. However, when the aircraft is operated within a foreign country, a pilot license issued by that country may be used; and
(2) Has a photo identification more wasted ink

(b) Required pilot certificate for operating a foreign-registered aircraft.

No person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of a civil aircraft of foreign registry within the United States, unless that person's pilot certificate—

(2) Has been issued under this part, or has been issued or validated by the country in which the aircraft is registered.

So the OP's example would be fine as long as the plane stayed in China. I don't think it would work with a "N" plane, "B" license and in a third country.

As to leased aircraft, I used to see FAA certificates that have the limitation, "Valid only for B737 aircraft leased to Mexicana Airlines." I don't know if they still do it that way.