PDA

View Full Version : ATC applicants visiting units

Svix
11th Nov 2011, 16:45
Hi there,

I'm currently an ATC applicant awaiting the dates for NATS stage 3 and I'm aware that some applicants choose to visit ATC units in order to further their experience and help with their application. Due to the huge wait until stage 3 I'm now looking to do the same and pretty much anything similar to keep myself in the loop.

Looking through previous similar threads, advice seems to be that contacting HR for ATC in airports of interest is a good approach, are such departments easy to get in touch with? Furthermore is there anyone here who could help with this? Visiting an ATC unit isn't exactly a common request so it seems to be a case of who you know with this!

Thanks!

Glamdring
11th Nov 2011, 19:36
Give us an idea of where you want to visit and maybe someone will pm you contact details :ok:

LEGAL TENDER
11th Nov 2011, 21:19
Hardly a "SPECTATOR'S SPORT" is it? ;)

aerotech07
11th Nov 2011, 23:26
The official line from NATS is that they do not mandate an ATC unit visit, prior to final interview, or joining the company. However, in my own stage 3 interview (which was relatively recent), I was asked "Have you visited an ATC unit?" When I answered "no", the next question was "why not?". Read into that what you will. It will do you no harm, in fact it will look good.

Seeing as you are in the NATS interview process already, contacting NATS HR may be a start point. Not sure what they will or won't do but they may be able to at least get you a contact.

Another angle is simply getting the phone number for the ATC unit and giving them a ring. Look in the AIP (link here (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=6&Itemid=13.html)). Every airport has its own section, and in the textual data PDF there will be a contact number for ATC. Just give them a call, explain your situation and ask... they can only say no!

2 considerations:

1) It will probably be infinitely easier to visit a unit where ATC is "landside" as it negates the need for security clearance, passes etc.
2) Just because you want to join NATS, doesn't mean you have to visit a NATS unit. (you may find less red tape elswhere!)

Svix
14th Nov 2011, 10:32
Cheers for the input, it's of great help :]

To answer Glamdring I'm currently in North Yorkshire so airports such as Newcastle and Manchester are probably good places.

And thanks for the info aerotech! I'll take a look at that link and make some enquiries.