PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL - Looking to emigrate

Strong, silent type
9th Nov 2011, 15:32
Hello Folks,

I'm a 737 pilot, 7000+ hrs (5000+ on type) and looking to (perhaps) head to North America for a new life. The wife and I had pretty much had enough here in Europe and we're both in our early 30s. The US is an option too (so I've posted this again in the US Forum!) but I'd like to know from anyone who either knows the hoops to jump through or who has already made the move. Obviously I'd be looking to a 737 (classic or NG) operator but as we all know, we all have to start "somewhere". So is there anyone who can shine a little light on this issue for me, please?

Cheers!

Private jet
9th Nov 2011, 21:06
I think you will find that unless you have a skill that is currently very much "in demand" in Canada or the U.S, or you are married to a Canadian or U.S citizen and have residency, then you will be as welcome as the proverbial "pork chop in a synagogue" or indeed mosque. The British used to run the world. They are now in some respects pariahs, everyone else has wised up and are playing a smarter game.

Mostly Harmless
9th Nov 2011, 21:56
I'm not much assistance on the emigration part but, you will find work here with those qualifications.... so here is the lay of the land, so to speak.

The two dominant airlines are Air Canada and Westjet. You will start as a first year first officer with either of them. It will be about 8 years to an upgrade in either airline... give or take a little. Air Canada doesn't have any 737's, but that is all that Westjet flies. These are your most stable job options...

After this you have the charter operations and smaller airlines. Places like Canadian North, Air North, Canjet, Flair Air, Sunwing, Transat, Morningstar, Kelowna Flightcraft, First Air... there are more, but that is a pretty good rundown. Some of these places may hire direct entry captains, others will not so you will have some homework to do. If I were you, I would just take it as a given that you will start out as a year one guy, bottom of the seniority list and plan your finances on that... if you get lucky, then it's a bonus.

Year one FO: This means about $40,000 a year for a starting wage... give or take a little from one airline to the next. It's not exactly rock stat wages here in the Great White North. So, if you are still interested and think you can live on that wage (cost of living varies widely across the country from "who the hell can afford to live there?" Vancouver to "this is reasonable" Maritimes) then the next thing I would do is look at each airline and where you may want to live.

I know this is all very vague but I hope it gives you a starting point to look at some of the operators and see what kind of flying you would do, what places you might wind up living in and how much that will cost you.

As for hiring... it has slowed down a fair bit from the heights of 07/08... and it's a gamble which direction it will go as it is all dependant upon the worlds economy in general.

I don't know what else to tell you... do some homework... perhaps come for a visit and see what you would be getting yourself into and good luck.

Strong, silent type
10th Nov 2011, 10:58
Certainly a start and sincerest thanks for the replies. I have been to Canada before and thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact I seriously considered moving several years ago. I'm not British, I'm in fact Irish. Not sure if that worstens my chances! Money is not a huge influence for me. Rather I want to be happy with my lot. If that means flying a Dash8, moderate wage and being settled with a good life, friends and community, then sign me up. I don't know who reads these, but for those who have yet to experience international jet experience, trust me, stay on the props. Besides, they far more fun. I recently showed my dad a NDB DME approach on flight sim in some far out place in Alaska in heavy snow on a prop. It reminded me how far removed I have become from the REAL joy of flying. And "yes", I wish I was back doing it again but the options here in Europe are genuinely frightening.

However, I will consider all options and not decide in a fit of pique. But to one and all, thanks for the input.

Mostly Harmless
14th Nov 2011, 16:20
I'm not British, I'm in fact Irish. Not sure if that worstens my chances!

I am sure that will make no difference at all to your chances.

If a Dash 8 is to your liking, then you also have some charter companies that you can look into such as Regional 1, North Cariboo (that's the way they spell it), Costal Pacific and Porter... if I think of any more I will post them. Check the board at AvCanada for more suggestions but you will likely receive a lot of hostility from there as well because a lot of trolls live under that bridge. If you are okay with the starting wages, the good news is that it does get better. It seems that year 3 is the spot where most companies start paying you a good wage. Not a great wage, but a good wage.

If you have access, contact an embassy or the Canadian government for the details on immigrating. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful there, but perhaps someone in the know will step up.

I'm sure aviation is the same the world over... like a game of musical chairs. Your objective is to have the best seat possible when the music stops.

Best of luck.

upontop325
18th Nov 2011, 03:15
Then of course there is the Canadian licence. It will be pretty tough to convert. First you'll have to come over here and do a medical, then you'll have to do 14 exams, an MCC and a checkride...

...oh wait a second that's to go the other way. They'll probably just hand one to you as you get off the plane! ;)

Just kidding with you though, best of luck, it's a great place to fly!

LindbergB767
18th Nov 2011, 10:25
Hi
for jobs infos go on pilotcareercentre.com
You will find all aviation Cie in Canada with their requirements
You may want to contact Sunwing because winter time they are looking for B737 NG
crew
good luck

bigoil
19th Nov 2011, 17:53
The province of Alberta is looking for hundreds, or thousands of trades people, check out the Edmonton or Calgary papers,
If you can get over as a temporary foreign worker like thousands of others are doing then apply for permament residence and look for a flying job.
As stated the flying job will pay $40,000 but you might give up a $80, to $100,000 a yr trade job. Can you weld? if so you;ll be working here next week.

evansb
9th Dec 2011, 20:32
As previously posted, Porter is in an expansion mode, so is Westjet, with new gate access at KLGA.

https://www.flyporter.com/About/Careers?culture=en-CA

Great jobs (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/jobs.shtml)