PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions of where to fly from

jecuk
9th Nov 2011, 12:47
Hi. I am based near MK and have an Australian PPL/ME/IR (IR now lapsed). Now living over here and looking to get back into flying. I am aware of Turweston, any other places worth considering with good clubs/hire aircraft and in usable airspace. Eventually planning to buy and maybe get one of these European licences with JAA or EASA or some other acronym attached.

All help appreciated.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2011, 16:18
You can fly PPL (SE or ME) on your Australian PPL in the UK so long as you're happy to stay day/VFR in UK airspace. Going IR / night / overseas will require a JAA (becoming EASA) licence.

Billins Air Services at Cranfield are worth a look.

Obviously Turweston, although I don't personally know the schools there.

You could try north a bit and look at Brooklands Flying Club at Sywell, which is just the other side of Northampton from the M1 Junction.

G

Miroku
10th Nov 2011, 14:38
The last I heard was that the AT3s at Sywell were only available for training and not for hire. I think there's a 172 for hire but at a high price.

A big change from the time when I learnt there with Northamptonshire School of Flying some eight years ago!

I now fly at Turweston with a choice of PA28s and a Cessna 172.

Winhern
10th Nov 2011, 18:07
Jecuk, I have sent you a PM.

W

billiboing
10th Nov 2011, 18:21
Try Hinton;

They have two Cessnas at £130 dual/ £99 solo
Two Pa38s at the same rate, Pa28s at £140/ £110 solo, slingsbys at £70 dual and £60 solo, a Grob 109 and a Dimona at ££90 dual and £70 solo.

They also have a full time examiner and are open 7 days a week.

derekl29
12th Nov 2011, 12:19
I did the same research last year looking at hiring aircraft after I passed my ppl at Cranfield.

Turweston is great, they are a nice bunch of people and there's the opportunity of the odd fly out, more of a relaxed club atmosphere there.

I visited Sywell, had to admit I didn't get a great vibe, was told the AT-3s weren't for hire and they didn't seem keen to want to encourage me further.

Other places to think about are Henlow, I've heard good things there and also Modern Air at Fowlmere have a few nice PA28-181s. They're at the top end of the price scale to hire but they are lovely aircraft.

I'm back at Cranfield doing an IMC there now, there's no shortage of hire options there, best to look at them all