PDA

View Full Version : Exeter Airport Open Day?

Cessna Boy
18th Jul 2001, 22:12
Hi folks just wonderin if ant you know about the open day EGTE is having on Wed 25th July????

All I have heard is £5 per skull, its on Northside and Red Arrows are paying a visit!
Anyone confirm this and any idea of times, other visitors, static displays etc.
Can we start around 1PM? Any lads from the Arrows? Please accept request for afternoon display cause I got to work in the morning! :p

EGTE
21st Jul 2001, 04:14
This is the press release put out a couple of weeks ago. Don't expect too much - It's a "let's look at the Classic Jets Hunters & The Red Arrows day" with aviation careers advice for the sprogs. I've been roped in to help out with the tannoy commentary - a load of witless chattering there then! :)

AIRCRAFT ENTHUSIASTS CHARITY DAY

Exeter International Airport are delighted to be hosting an Aircraft Enthusiasts Charity Day which will be held on Wednesday 25th July 2001 on the north side of the airport. The event will be signposted and access will be via the old A30.

Proceeds from the day will be shared with the airport’s adopted charity, The Royal School for the Deaf (Exeter) and the Devon Air Ambulance who have a base at Exeter International Airport.

The aim of the day is to combine a fundraising event where enthusiasts can view aircraft both old and new and chat to various experts. There will also be an opportunity for youngsters to investigate possible careers within the aviation industry through talking to the armed forces careers information centres, pilots, airline staff and engineers from British European.

Visitors will be able to view a collection of Hawker Hunter aircraft which will be on static display in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the first flight of the prototype. Helicopters from Yeovilton, Lympstone and Middle Wallop will also be on static display together with a range of interesting light aircraft which will be joining the event.

It is hoped that Neville Duke, the first test pilot on the Hawker Hunter prototype, will be present and taking part in a book signing.

Adding to the day’s interest will be the Devon Air Ambulance, The Fleet Air Arm, Royal Air Force Association, Royal Navy, Army and the RAF Careers Information Centres, Air Cadets, Venture Scots, classic and vintage vehicles.

The Red Arrows are also scheduled to be in attendance during the day and there will be the opportunity to chat to the Red Arrow pilots and engineers between their displays at Plymouth and Lyme Regis. Visits to the Red Arrows aircraft line up for photo opportunities will also be available. As always the Red Arrows prove to be of great interest to the public and enthusiasts alike and will naturally attract spectators, especially during their take offs and landings back at Exeter.

There will be children’s competitions, raffle prize draws and a variety of fundraising opportunities.

This event is due to commence at 10.00am and will be open through the day until early evening, refreshments and toilet facilities will be available. Gate entrance will be charged at £5.00 per car.

Further information can be obtained by calling Exeter International Airport on 01392 367433 or visiting the airport website http://www.exeter-airport.co.uk

ENDS

For further information please contact:

Sandra Roberts, Public Relations Manager for Exeter International Airport on 01392 367433 ext. 245
or
Sue Crossland, Business Development Manager for Exeter International Airport on 01392 367433 ext. 207
:) :)

EGTE
21st Jul 2001, 04:26
Interested to see what the "Venture Scots" do with their kilts! :eek:

Cessna Boy
21st Jul 2001, 19:17
Thanks for the info EGTE, being from up North myself, I may have to swirl my own kilt for the occasion. See You There!
:eek:

EGTE
24th Jul 2001, 19:34
10 Hunters lined up on runway 13/31 today for the "static park". A Malmo RJ.100 was doing it's best to blow a temporary fence away though!

bcfc
24th Jul 2001, 19:50
You'll also have the dubious pleasure of seeing a knackered Air Sofia transporter that bounced so hard the other day, it sheered off the undercarriage and is still looking sorry for itself.

Its a sobering sight as you turn right base for 26 :eek:

Cessna Boy
24th Jul 2001, 22:12
BCFC had lovely views of that transporter on Saturday whilst practising short field landings, made me want to slow down big time and keep a little power on, but would have lost the point of the exercise!
Here's looking to a good day tomorrow, and arrows are arriving at 12:50 ish, lovely, red 10 is taking up position beside my clubs Navajo, so hopefully I'll get a good look over it! ;)

bcfc
25th Jul 2001, 12:46
Do you mean CW's Navajo G-BFOM?

Cessna Boy
26th Jul 2001, 01:21
BCFC thats the one!
Red 10 parked up the other side so no go for a look, but got a go a taxiing Oscar Mike back to south side.
Nice weather, nice aircraft, good fun, but some dodgy bloke doing the old PA system!
Only joking EGTE! :D

EGTE
26th Jul 2001, 20:15
Dodgy bloke on the PA system indeed!!!!!!
My public lapped it up. I shall have to arrange a Radio 1 style "posse" the next time! :D
It was a very good day - many more aircraft than I expected. Thank's to everyone who visted/flew by/displayed etc. Great to see Snoopy - I thought it had been retired. Neville Duke proved to be a popular draw. If only the B-52 had turned up...........