PDA

View Full Version : Fligh numbering

SEAT 81A
20th Nov 2000, 20:24
Forgive me if this is a stupid question to you professional pilots.

I remember in the past, eastbound and northbound flights will carry even number flight numbers, and westbound and southbound flights use odd numbers. It doesn't seem to be the case anymore recently.

Is there a change in the system or there is simply no system and just common practise in the past?

Balthazar
20th Nov 2000, 21:33
I'm not sure about any systems, but my company uses even outbound and odd back home.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

CargoRat2
20th Nov 2000, 21:58
Same with us eg 796 outbound returns as 797. 774/775 etc etc

------------------
rgds Rat

The Guvnor
20th Nov 2000, 22:42
The rule of thumb is odd numbers headed west and south; even headed east and north.

Some people use the day of the week as the first number, so a flight operating on a Monday might be 1xx and Friday 5xx.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Bally Heck
20th Nov 2000, 23:05
SEAT 81A

I think you will find that each company has it's own system. Britannia for example use the prefix "A" outbound and "B" inbound. The two airlines I have worked for had their own completely arbitrary systems. The system is that there is no system.

Hows the legroom back there?
:)

Hunter58
20th Nov 2000, 23:30
Some airlines started their numberng system on 100 (for the big and best flight) returning as 101. Other started as flight number one (e.g. Clipper one). Again others use a A or B (depending on outbound or inbound), and again othes look at the flight of the day so your outbound may be 4357, and the inbound 5437. There are no rules, as you could also (theoretically) use the aircraft's registration as flight number. It would just make it so darn complicated for the marketing folks...

------------------
There's nothing like a three-holer...