PDA

View Full Version : Examiners for a check nominated by the authority

slr737
8th Nov 2011, 10:38
Quick question if someone can help me:

Here in belgium, the authority has to nominate the examiner who will take the exam, be it for a PPL check to the TRE check.

i was wondering if this was the same in other JAA country. And where that would be written in JAA or EASA documents.

i do not see the reason why the authority should nominate an examiner as long as the examiner you take follow the rules such as no training given (or max 25%)

thanks for the help

Whopity
8th Nov 2011, 11:46
JAR–FCL 1.030 Arrangements for testing
(a) Authorisation of examiners.
(b) Number of examiners. The Authority will
determine the number of examiners it requires,
taking account of the number and geographic
distribution of its pilot population.
(c) Notification of examiners.
(1) The Authority will maintain a list of
all examiners it has authorised stating for
which roles they are authorised. The list will
be made available to TRTOs, FTOs and
registered facilities within the JAA Member
State. The Authority will determine by which
means the examiners will be allocated to the
skill test. So it is largely down to each State to deceide. The UK CAA has until now only allocated examiners for the CPL and IR Skill tests however; it has plans to change this during 2012

justmaybe
8th Nov 2011, 15:40
Whopity, can you give a heads up on the proposed changes. Is it easa or caa driven?

slr737
8th Nov 2011, 18:06
Thanks Whopity. I would not have thought that this was the case, should have made a search myself in JAR-FCL.

We just need to wait and see how EASA will change this.

Whopity
8th Nov 2011, 20:09
I gather it was observed on a CAA inspection by the JAA that they were not nominating Examiners for certain tests. The CAA has therefore decided to require examiner booking to be made through Licensing Standards. EASA requirements appear to be a little more vague than the JAA requirement especially as the CAA will no longer be able to control the number of Examiners.

Mickey Kaye
8th Nov 2011, 20:18
Are proposing this for all test eg PPL, FI or just IR, CPL?

mad_jock
8th Nov 2011, 20:37
I hope they do it for PPL as well as the rest. Otherwise the lowest standards will get the most tests

Whopity
9th Nov 2011, 11:51
FI was the one that was discussed. A FIE will be nominated and then its for the candidate and examiner to rearrange things if the test is delayed for any reason. No doubt it will all be published in due course.

slr737
10th Nov 2011, 10:48
Only issue for some rating, like FI is when you do your training outside the UK, i don't know how the CAA is going to nominate an examiner!

any idea on how the FAA works, if i recall well they do not nominate their examiner for check?

BillieBob
10th Nov 2011, 15:17
AR.FCL.205 Monitoring of Examiners
(a)
(b)
(c)
(d) The competent authority shall develop procedures to designate examiners for the conduct of skill tests for the issue of a multi-crew pilot licence (MPL) or airline transport pilot licence (ATPL).
Nothing there about designating examiners for any tests other than the MPL or ATPL. I wonder upon what, if any, legal basis the CAA are seeking to designate examiners for other tests.