PDA

View Full Version : Grumman Traveller

glasseyegav
20th Nov 2000, 15:12
Has anybody had any experience with grumman aircraft.Particularly the Traveller, I would appreciate any feedback about their performance and maintenance,peculiarities and vices......Or What about the Cheetah/Tiger?

[This message has been edited by glasseyegav (edited 21 November 2000).]

tunneler
20th Nov 2000, 15:58
I fly a AA5A, Lovely wee a/c, good fun to fly - apraently its harder to fly than a Cessna - no experience to draw from.

Maintenance, the Landing light seems to blow all the time, the DI can be a c###, but aside from that its a good wee plane and can produce some fantastic landings!

Hope thats of some help.

Squeekeron
21st Nov 2000, 15:42
I have about 35 hours in a Traveler and another 100 or so in a Tiger. Very simple and easy airplanes to fly. Roll rate is sportier than a Cessna 172, but not too much. The only anomaly I found was it is hard to get down on the ground.....a real floater. You must plan your approaches more carefully than a 172. The flaps won't help you much. Other than this, they are a cake-walk. Maintenance, excluding engine/avionics, is unremarkable. Skin delaminations seen in the early 70's models has been long since corrected.

JBravo
23rd Nov 2000, 00:24
The Tiger is a bit on the small side, in the cockpit that is. I have no problems with it, but it is difficult to fly it with a kneeboard strapped on. However, I think it is a very nice plane to fly, very easy, and agile too. I have to agree on the floating while landing, but it makes a smooth landing very easy http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif
Don't know how it compares with a Cessna, because I've never flown one. But I really like the Tiger.
p.s. got only 200hours experience, with only 8 on the Tiger, so don't know how valuable this advice is.

rgrds
JBravo

Sharjah Night Shift
23rd Nov 2000, 00:49
In my hobby as a non anorak wearing avation enthusiast I have flown many light aircraft under instruction (currently on 124 a/c types including airliners but only ever had the controlls in small training a/c)
I recently flew an AA5 great to fly but taxies like a supermarket trolley on account of the free castoring nosewheel.