PDA

View Full Version : Getting a buzz out of X-winds

kevmusic
7th Nov 2011, 17:22
Conscious of needing to perfect crosswind landing technique I went for a re-validation sortie with my old instructor in the Cub, focussing on this. The X-wind component was about 14-15 knots. We briefed on a crabbed approach, converting to into-wind wing down with opposite rudder, once over the fence. I'd never really given this a whole-hearted go before.

Okay, it took me a couple of goes to settle in but I pretty much got it, and now I'm blissfuly reflecting on that wonderful state of equilibrium with one main & tail on the runway, the other still in the air - it's all under control, you're in the middle of the runway and pointing straight down it; the other wheel settles and now you're vigorously stopping the swing this way and that with rapid bootfuls of rudder. Ain't flying fun!

Echo Romeo
7th Nov 2011, 17:57
There is a video on youtube of a guy doing what you describe in an Auster filmed in the Seventies, his execution is perfect. I've had a few attempts in my Terrier but come a very poor second.

foxmoth
7th Nov 2011, 18:04
Must confess I prefer to wheel it on if strong X-wind and gusty:ok:

Dan the weegie
7th Nov 2011, 18:19
I'm yet to get wheelers right but in any tailwheel aircraft it's hard work getting the technique right for a stiff x wind.

:) Sounds like you had fun!

austerwobbler
7th Nov 2011, 19:06
Crabbed approach then in to wind wing down over the hedge for me in my Auster, also fun to wheel it on remaining on the in to wind main wheel first :}

Austerwobbler

rmcb
7th Nov 2011, 21:44
Crosswind in an Auster...

crosswind landing the Auster aircraft - YouTube

kevmusic
7th Nov 2011, 23:07
Beautifully done. :ok: Mine were not like that!

rmcb
7th Nov 2011, 23:18
Did mine in the Citabria. Never saw them - my eyes were closed...

MichaelJP59
8th Nov 2011, 10:22
Crosswinds can of course be fun, but the "fun" part is dealing with the challenge successfully *despite* the added difficulty. Not so much fun if you overestimate your abilities and end up with a big repair bill!

Morrisman1
8th Nov 2011, 10:42
Interesting comparing my technique to the auster pilot's technique. I kick it straight before the flare, this fellow kicked it straight after the flare. Any opinions on which method would be better at getting consistent good crosswind landings?

rmcb
8th Nov 2011, 11:11
I find kicking straight before the flare allows my stable aircraft to be gust affected in flare transition - I prefer to straighten up after the flare when a gnat's knacker off the green stuff and going as slow as possible. My uncle demonstrated this beautifully - he used to fly pioneers in Malaya.

Personal opinion, and each to his/her own.

foxmoth
8th Nov 2011, 11:31
That is why I like wing down - you stay totally lined up with the runway with no need to judge when to kick off the drift.

rmcb
8th Nov 2011, 12:08
Agreed - passengers tend to develop a greenish hue with the 'unnatural' approach attitude with a slipped approach, however. Following a revistation of my niece's breakfast on my lap I have chosen the dressed crab as the approach of choice!