PDA

View Full Version : European ATC: It is time to be One Voice.

p_perez
6th Nov 2011, 21:43
Hello!

This is the leading article (http://www.atcmagazine.net/69-editorial-i.pdf) from the last issue of the Spanish professional ATC Magazine (- ATC Magazine - (http://www.atcmagazine.net)). It somewhow expresses the oficial view of Spanish ATC union USCA of the situation of our profession in Spain and in the rest of Europe. I would like to mention that most of the articles can be found both in Spanish and English, if you want to read around ...

Saludos! (Saintex: va por ti!)

It’s time to be one voice

ATC magazine / nš 69

It is clear that our profession is at the lead of technological advances, especially those that improve Safety, surely the most important factor of our job. But it is also true that, for obvious reasons, our work is closely linked to our Nationīs economy and, thus, to politics.

Even in this time of crisis we currently experience, the dream of a united Europe has not vanished; on the contrary, calls are made for joint efforts and sacrifices to all the citizens of the European Economic Community so that it does not fall apart. Borders between member States are increasingly permeable in all aspects, from the Bologna Plan to the Schengen Agreement; and the Single European Sky will end up being a reality.

Unfortunately, within the framework of this Union, our profession is under attack in virtually all EU countries. Discrediting our work has become the best way to hide a disastrous management that has provoked the loss of millions of euros, has produced a delay of thousands of minutes, and what is worse, has undermined Safety.

Time has come that Air Traffic Controllers act as leaders of the rest of unions. Time has come that they truly unite. Time has come that European Air Traffic Controllers become One, and as One act against all and every attack suffered by the smallest tower or CTR in Europe. One strong and united Voice, led by someone able to understand the problem and find the solution, is what European Air Traffic Controllers need. The first step may have been taken already at Seville (Spain), during the XXIII Congress of USCA, attended by colleagues from other countries (Prospect ATCO’s Branch, ATCEUC, and SINCTA SNCTA). The idea of a Continental Union has begun gathering momentum, and now it needs to settle, and it only depends on European Air Traffic Controllers to be able to speak with a single Voice. The fact that the audience of the Congress received these illustrious guests with a standing ovation, caused optimism to imbue these union leaders with the necessary courage to become one Voice.

Air borders will fall sooner or later, procedures and data link equipment will standardize for all countries of the EEC. Before all this fortunately happens, a unique European Air traffic Controllers Union should be in place. With competent people, which we have plenty of, with work and union expertise, which we also have plenty of, with a permanent headquarter and local delegations. With good communication with all posts, so that no colleague feels abandoned, no matter the size of his TWR or ACC. Our Unity is our Strength, and Safety is our Flag. Hopefully European Air Traffic Controllers will realise that our Union has been the only thing that has prevented the destruction of a profession so despised, but also so vital to the political and economic operation of our Continent.

saintex2002
9th Nov 2011, 07:28
Even better, amigo mio...
" One voice, One SES, One Co.... " ... but ours... :ok:
No other possible exit...

FLSV
9th Nov 2011, 09:23
Saintex2002;s answer is why it will never be possible. Protectionism will stop any idea like this.
But I hope we can be strong enough on our own and support each other when needed.

saintex2002
9th Nov 2011, 23:47
Neither the protectionism, nor anybody could stop the idea of joining us in a " One voice, One SES, One Co. " if we really want it...
Just a question to want it...

Lon More
11th Nov 2011, 21:30
Vinni you must be in the Brussels Sectors.

levelD
12th Nov 2011, 12:41
" I shall enjoy my position for as long as the EU will allow. When taken away (and I suspect that when Joe Public hears that under-worked ATCOs at MUAC are "earning" 10k+ nett things will change) I shall join you in shouting for european ATC support this, SES that - but for now hombre, best of luck!"

I suspect you'll probably be the first...to cry:cool:

In the meantime , how'bout a nice cup of shut the f:mad:k up?

ATC Watcher
12th Nov 2011, 14:18
p_perez : One voice in Europe, yeah.. I can even tell you when : the day the guys from Zurich will embrace their Geneva colleagues and agree that one centre in Switserland is probably a good idea after all. In the meantime 2 ACCs, 2 Unions .:hmm:

Lon More : He said " boring airspace " must be Deco :}

VinniWP : posting your salary on Internet is a very, very clever move that will help you and your colleagues in the future. Very wise at the moment :ugh:

BeT
12th Nov 2011, 15:06
Ha-ha! They have got people in the offices @ MUAC doing nothing better than pushing paper and scratching their arses who earn more than that!

All ATCO salaries are published on the Eurocontrol website are they not (I was always under the impression they were), its hardly a state secret anyway.

15yrs seniority in any EU division (which dont forget Eurocontrol is, even if they dont want MUAC to be!!) will result in a salary of 11k per month, oh and before the predictable clap-trap is rolled out I reckon we are worth it. Last year we took a salary freeze (so a pay cut) and over the last 10yrs MUAC controllers have only had a 'reasonable' deal from the salary dept - best guesstimates suggest about a 10-20% loss in buying power from the salary. NL is a bloody expensive place to live.

We do a good job and push a lot of traffic, whats the problem with earning a decent living?

@Vinni - def Brussels sectors I am sure of it, I reckon I know who you are :oh:

GAPSTER
4th Dec 2011, 06:18
Sounds a bit of a tw*t to me

aldegar
4th Dec 2011, 06:24
Vinniwp, are you really a controller? You sound more like management initiating a campaign against MUAC ATCOs with your "I do nothing but get paid a crazy salary" speech. It reminds me of the spanish government/media campaign against us...

Going back to the main issue, we definetly have to coordinate and work together since it is obvious now that actions agains us are being decided in Europe, preparing the single sky. Therefore we need one voice (and I hope is not Vinniwpīs!)

andrijander
6th Dec 2011, 06:54
I stand behind levelD: how about two cups of shut the f##k up?

You must be very unhappy if you live for being popular judging on how well you do here. How about you leave it to the professionals to do the PR.

I am one of the Spaniards working here and believe me when I tell you i have never studied with the intention to pass the cut back home. It's a personal thing related to having a certain regard to yourself and the will to be a better person. You know, as in growing up? I guess you don't though. Anyway I don't have to give you any explanation and my guess is you wouldn't understand it. Simple minds, right?

So, thanks for making us all controllers sound as lazy, overpaid primadonas and all "eSpaniards" at EC as desperate backstabbers ready to bail. Speak for yourself next time.

The only good thing you've done in your post is changing your nick not to be known. I guess courage isn't your thing either?

Dallila
6th Dec 2011, 23:49
Hi there!

This question is for controllers from Spain-we all know how was the situation like there,but we don”t have any other information about how is it now.Can you give me some details,I mean what is changed there.I have just been recently to Maastricht and one controller told me that the situation in Spain is not so good for the moment and that spanish controllers are trying to go to Maastricht,to get a job there.Is that true?
As for the impact the massmedia had in the situation of ATCos in Spain,I can say it was a big one and not in the favour of controllers-I was in a trip in Spain and the taxi driver,also the guy from the reception were talking only about the huge sallaries of the controllers and how greedy they are...actually not so many people know what is exactly behind the job itself-a very demanding job,night shifts,holy days spent in front of the radars and others.In my country if you ask somebody about air traffic controllers they will say that we have huge sallaries-nothing more!I think that we should work a little bit more about our image-and I am talking here about our companies and about media.

Sonnendec
8th Dec 2011, 18:55
Hello Dallila,

The situation in Spain is still terrible. All the operational decisions are taken behind desks somewhere at AENA central offices, we donīt have shifts (you can work anyday, any shift (365 days/24h), we get harrased one day and another by our own company and our own government. They even donīt apply the imposed working rules that we have since february 2011, but their own criteria... and so on.

I would accept a job at ANY ANSP as long as i can pay my mortgage. Any offers? :rolleyes:

aldegar
9th Dec 2011, 03:56
Dallila, unfortunately the damage done to us by the media during the last year will be very, very difficult to repair. I hate it when I get into a situation in which I suspect I'll may be asked about what do I work at (and usually hide it or lie about it...).

I wouldn't work for another ANSP like Sonnendec, basically because of my family don't wanting to leave Spain... But I will definetly not retire as an ATCO.

Somewhere In Time
9th Dec 2011, 10:26
One voice sounds great but what it all comes down to is location and money so itl never work Im afraid. Every man/union/country to themselves!

blissbak
17th Dec 2011, 16:02
Someone has a clear picture of what is really going on in Cyprus? That's just a pay-freeze or there is something more hidden ?