PDA

View Full Version : BMI

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ara01jbb
30th Mar 2012, 20:30
...and you know that..how ? Without Star they would have gone a lot sooner

But with Star, routes such as LHR-GLA were packed out with passengers transferring to/from other non-BD routes (including AC, CO, UA, TK, NZ and VS). These contributed virtually nothing to the bottom line.

Grotehaasje
30th Mar 2012, 20:59
It had nothing to do with Star.

Try poor management.

No

Try really poor management.

:D

frontcheck
30th Mar 2012, 21:00
Agree with the above. Having so many codeshares meant BD did all the work for the onto carrier whilst getting little revenue. On the way back they had to sort out , pay for and arrange any lost baggage then have to claim the money back.The major problem with codeshare is when ticketed on another carriers stock, BD do not get the revenue until after the passenger has travelled.

queenvic
31st Mar 2012, 06:25
As c/c for midland, I am very grateful to have a job.

Any ideas what plans IAG/BA have for us? Any ideas on fleeting?
Heard they are short of crew on WW at the moment and not many volunteers for eurofleet... Any chance of some the 330 crew being put on WW?

davidjohnson6
31st Mar 2012, 09:33
When Stelios started Easyjet, he tried to get hold of some Heathrow slots, was denied, and resorted to Luton instead. For many years, Easyjet had a perpetual message about no frills.
Easyjet is now trying to become and be seen as a business friendly airline and the focus is no longer purely on no frills.

Over the last 2 years, there was sufficient noise about them starting flights at Frankfurt, that Lufthansa felt the need to open a Gatwick-Frankfurt route just to signal to Easyjet that they should back off.

Easyjet already have substantial operations at Paris CDG, Amsterdam, Madrid, Malpensa, Munich, etc...

If IAG now have to give up some slots for Edinburgh / Aberdeen / Nice / Moscow / Cairo (with grandfather rights after 2 years), what are the odds that Easyjet apply to start flying point-to-point at Heathrow ?

Skipness One Echo
31st Mar 2012, 09:47
German Wings have joined Vueling at LHR recently. Imagine easyJet offering GLA-LTN/STN/LGW/LHR with SEN asking to join!

ayebmi
31st Mar 2012, 10:00
Queenvic,

I very much doubt that BA will make any distinction between bmi 330 and non 330 crew, especially as they don't have 330's in their fleet and I doubt they plan to keep them long term, even less likely as both birds are due heavy maintenance soon and will require a leased aircraft to allow each of them downtime in turn. The BA intranet mentions several times a "combined BA/bmi short and midhaul network" so suppose we'll just have to play the waiting game and firstly hope that we all have jobs to start with :sad:

martin102
31st Mar 2012, 10:16
I see from the papers this morning that 7 of the slots to be given up are specifically for Edinburgh and Aberdeen. What happens if nobody takes up the slots?

CabinCrewe
31st Mar 2012, 10:44
These provisos were made to quiten the likes of SRB. If he doesn't take them up on it they'll go back to BA for general use. The time span hasnt been released. Seems more than reasonable. Doubt anyone will want the likes of EDI-LHR.

mcdhu
31st Mar 2012, 12:17
Any info about what might happen to Stockley Park and the sims currently therein operated by OAA?

mcdhu

DomyDom
31st Mar 2012, 23:17
I remember a few years ago BMI having a great little hub at MAN. However BMI 'management' decided that the future was to desert the regional base and go head to head with BA at LHR. Utter stupidity in my view and business suffered. I think that when Lufthansa eventualy took over the business it was clear that they were going to run BMI in to the ground such that they wouldnt provide any serious competition. LH would never have given up their regional bases so easily. In my view another example of a great UK company being run into the ground and jobs lost for a quick buck!

DomyDom
31st Mar 2012, 23:21
And not wanting to rant on too much...

BMIbaby moving from a great airline of choice to in my view an utter shambles with it's niche break/sand an sun/ teneriffe holiday strategy all around the same time.

Skipness One Echo
1st Apr 2012, 00:00
I remember a few years ago BMI having a great little hub at MAN.

Yeah they actually thought "Hecky thump this
northern hub is far too profitable, let's commit commercial suicide and shut it and worship the mighty Heathrow."

Quite right, that's what happened, they ruined a profitable base as they, British MIDLAND, have a Southern bias. That's of course what happened.

pabely
1st Apr 2012, 00:27
When all done, EZY will profit from all this....it will be BA or EZY with a Flybe also on domestic.

160to4DME
1st Apr 2012, 08:52
I remember a few years ago BMI having a great little hub at MAN. However BMI 'management' decided that the future was to desert the regional base and go head to head with BA at LHR. Utter stupidity in my view and business suffered. I think that when Lufthansa eventualy took over the business it was clear that they were going to run BMI in to the ground such that they wouldnt provide any serious competition. LH would never have given up their regional bases so easily. In my view another example of a great UK company being run into the ground and jobs lost for a quick buck!

northern hub is far too profitable, let's commit commercial suicide and shut it and worship the mighty Heathrow."

Quite right, that's what happened, they ruined a profitable base as they, British MIDLAND, have a Southern bias. That's of course what happened.

The irony of those comments is that DLH have steadily increased their own presence at MAN, having their best ever year in 2011, against the rather lamentable economic climate.

Justin Cyder-Belvoir
1st Apr 2012, 09:14
BMIbaby moving from a great airline of choice to in my view an utter shambles with it's niche break/sand an sun/ teneriffe holiday strategy all around the same time.

Baby aren't exactly niche break: they have routes to business destinations, GLA,EDI,AMS and CDG, as well as a portfolio of Spanish destinations that are more seasonal but they certainly do not range as far as Tenerife or the Canaries.

@S1E

Mainline were the masters of building a route up from a 145 to Fokker to Boeing then putting the 145 back on it just as the loads had grown. They wanted to be in everything: long haul, medium haul, short haul, charter and then ultimately loco with baby.

Problem with that was they did everything but nothing really well: they had good transatlantic loads from MAN and dropped them to go to LHR. They had small bases in the regions and shut them to move everything to a more expensive LHR cost base. They had 3 back offices and systems for the 3 brands: the entire organisation, mainline, baby and regional has close on 3 x the staff per aircraft that Ryanair has: little wonder that they floundered.

Poor leadership: lions led by donkeys.

CaptainSensible
1st Apr 2012, 12:31
Funny old world :sad:

Just read in the Sunday Times that Lord Glendonbrook aka Bishop was reported as being one of the Tories top donors to the tune of £705,000.

Hundreds of employees with have effectively had a pay cut of 15% over the last three years, don't know whether they have a job after the Summer season.

Its true what they say: If you want a guarantee in life buy a TV from John Lewis and if you want loyalty get yourself a labrador dog.

Curious Pax
2nd Apr 2012, 08:22

Your first sentence is closer to the reality, but that isn't what they were thinking. At the time they thought that although MAN was profitable (allegedly) they could make more money by using the 330s from LHR - with 20/20 hindsight not the greatest commercial decision ever made.

The Royal Family
2nd Apr 2012, 09:02
with 20/20 hindsight not the greatest commercial decision ever made.

You think :mad:

corporatenut83
2nd Apr 2012, 09:17
It doesn't take a rocket scientist or indeed an accountant to see that since the MAN based 330's were pulled the company slipped further and further into the red! (I know other outside factors have played a part in that.) IMHO they must've made a positive contribution to the bottom line! There was ALWAYS a belly full of cargo on the ORD and I'm sure it wasn't transported for free!

The company has been managed for personal gains for several decades and when the rot stopped BD was too far gone to be turned around without serious investment and restructuring. LH had neither the time or the interest in doing so. A sad turn of events for bmi, though completely avoidable.

Skipness One Echo
2nd Apr 2012, 12:09
Your first sentence is closer to the reality, but that isn't what they were thinking. At the time they thought that although MAN was profitable (allegedly) they could make more money by using the 330s from LHR - with 20/20 hindsight not the greatest commercial decision ever made.

Yes I remember, it was the inability to actually maximise the potential of these aircraft at LHR that hurt them. Everyone went into India at the same time and no one made much money, so LHR-BOM was never what they had hoped, indeed even VS dropped it later and are just going back this year now Kingfisher are leaving LHR.
Saudi was a natural for the A330 but they have struggled to make the best of things.

6chimes
3rd Apr 2012, 07:17
Whether or not the 330's stayed in MAN is fairly irrelevant to the outcome of bmi. Personally I'm tired of the continual reference to it from the usual suspects (within bmi). Airlines put a/c where they want, when they want and for their own reasons, MAN was only ever a temporary home for the 330's. Sometimes there are other considerations such as; speculate to accumulate. Don't forget the economic crash in 08 had a huge part in the failure of the 330's at LHR.

2 or 3 a/c aren't going to influence the company that much, except for the crew that enjoyed the prestige of flying the Caribbean every week (and reminding everyone else at work :ugh:). The network however, that's a different story and that's the real issue.

bmi hasn't failed, it's only reached it's planned ending a little sooner than expected, albeit in a poorer state than desired.

The Royal Family
3rd Apr 2012, 11:12
MAN was only ever a temporary home for the 330's

Yes those temporary 8 years went so fast :ugh:

corporatenut83
3rd Apr 2012, 11:27
TRF I was thinking the same. I have no agenda as to where the A330's fly to or from (they'll be gone soon anyway!) The 'prestige' you talk of was not mentioned in my post. BD used the long haul aircraft from LHR in what was already a saturated market, with a product that didn't outshine any of their competitors, hardly a recipe for success! If it ain't broke don't fix it!

mutualswap
3rd Apr 2012, 12:56
consultation process commenced today ..........
RIP Donington Hall and all that sail on her

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2012, 13:25
MAN was only ever a temporary home for the 330's

The business case for ordering the 3 A330s was based on there being an Open Skies policy in place by delivery so that the newly launched bmi could expand into transatlantic from Heathrow. Well the agreement came only in 2008, so when the gamble backfired and bmi had 3 A330s coming and nowhere to fly them, they had to do something.

That something was a Manchester based long haul operation operating daily MAN-ORD and MAN-IAD. One up against American, with both code sharing with United. The third aircraft was stored for a summer, leased out then brought into operating MAN-YYZ for Air Canada for a year then in addition to the US routes, bmi launched MAN-UVF, MAN-ANU, MAN-BGI and MAN-LAS. These routes were heavily sold by Virgin Holidays and it's no surprose that Virgin Atlantic have taken up BGI and LAS, with UVF being tried but dropped as the B744 was too big. This remains a potential Virgin A330 route was it not for the fact that Virgin are moving ALL their A330s to LHR over the next few years. Sound familiar?

Washington was dropped on the A330 in favour of a leased Icelandair B757 when LHR-BOM was launched and the Carribbeean routes and MAN-ORD were next to go. I think in fairness the only one that made a real impact was MAN-ORD which would have left a one aircraft operation which like MAN-JFK on BA is not something airlines like to do anymore. These aircraft were intended for LHR long haul and never bought for Manchester, which is a shame but is also the truth.

TCX69
3rd Apr 2012, 17:58
British Airways will introduce it's code on bmi flights to nice important business and industry destinations later this week.

The bmi flights included in the codeshare are: Yerevan (Armenia); Baku (Azerbaijan); Addis Ababa (Ethiopia); Tbilisi (Georgia); Almaty (Kazakhstan); Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan); Beirut (Lebanon); Freetown (Sierra Leone) and Khartoum (Sudan).

Executive Club members travelling on codeshare routes with a BA flight code will be able to earn Avios and Tier Points from April 5, 2012. Customers will be able to book these flights through both ba.com and flybmi.com.

The move follows the European Commission's decision last week to give the go-ahead for IAG's purchase of bmi.

When the sale of bmi completes, which is expected around April 20, bmi will lose the commercial support of Lufthansa and Star Alliance.

Grotehaasje
3rd Apr 2012, 18:26
@S1E
Washington was dropped on the A330 in favour of a leased Icelandair B757

Did you ever work for Tony Bliar? That's quite a spin to put on things!

The 330s were specc'd for ORD: fact.

They were ordered with First, Business and 107 Economy.

The First cabin was huge: I recall asking Roger M******k who the f**k had come up with this great plan when he showed me the drawings. At that time every other operator on the Atlantic was getting rid of First or downsizing.

Not bmi.

Nevertheless, having established a longhaul operation from MAN with a feed from LHR it was utter folly to drop it.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2012, 18:57
Play the ball and not the man and jeep the snide comments for the playground please.

What's wrong? MAN-IAD was dropped to a leased FI B757 around 2005 and so the excellent product on the A332 wasn't available and hence the route was in a vicious circle to a death spiral commercially.

The A332s may have been specced out on delivery for MAN however they were ordered for LHR, a lot changed between contract and delivery!
Please don't end statements with "fact", when stating your opinion. When bmi fed MAN long haul from LHR overflow, that shows they are not getting their revenue to add up locally and they have to capacity dump from another more price sensitive market. Instead of a point to point regional premium, they were selling basement fares. Exactly what is good and sensible about that?

Grotehaasje
3rd Apr 2012, 19:39
@S1E, it is a fact that the 330s were specc'd for ORD, or perhaps the project manager lied to me:high comfort attendant seats, no rest area, no bunks.

I saw the drawings laid out on his desk at Stockley, he invited me to look over them with him: so don't tell me what is opinion and what is is fact.

How about transfer pax to United from the catchment area and from LHR: LHR isn't the only airport in the UK; if you can feed traffic anywhere it makes sense.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2012, 19:52
I did not say they weren't specced out for MAN, I said they were never ordered or intended to be deployed to MAN at all. If you care to read what I said, feeding MAN out of London makes little sense.

London enjoys cheaper fares in economy as the larger number of business and first class travellers subsidise the seats down the back. Regional long must pay a premium to fly direct as it does not have the same level of cross cabin subsidy. Hence the last thing any long haul from MAN needs is bargain hunters from the London area driving yields down.

So when you say you can feed from anywhere, then there's some truth. However in this case feeding from London, an already overcompetitve market you are driving down yields and pushing up losses.

Fairdealfrank
5th Apr 2012, 12:00
Quote: "The bmi flights included in the codeshare are: Yerevan (Armenia); Baku (Azerbaijan); Addis Ababa (Ethiopia); Tbilisi (Georgia); Almaty (Kazakhstan); Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan); Beirut (Lebanon); Freetown (Sierra Leone) and Khartoum (Sudan)."

Is Amman (Jordan) not included?

Interesting that this is the list that BA (through its Bmed subsidiary)offloaded to BD a few years ago.

Is it the case that they flogged the operation, but not the slots, hence the demise of many BD short haul routes at around that time?

They say what goes around....

bad bear
5th Apr 2012, 12:35
BA did not own therefore did not flog BMED, neither did BA offload the routes. The comment about the slots might be correct.
Bb

Fairdealfrank
5th Apr 2012, 12:55
Quote: "BA did not own therefore did not flog BMED, neither did BA offload the routes. The comment about the slots might be correct.
Bb"

What exactly did happen?

Quote: "Your first sentence is closer to the reality, but that isn't what they were thinking. At the time they thought that although MAN was profitable (allegedly) they could make more money by using the 330s from LHR - with 20/20 hindsight not the greatest commercial decision ever made."

Quote: "Yes I remember, it was the inability to actually maximise the potential of these aircraft at LHR that hurt them. Everyone went into India at the same time and no one made much money, so LHR-BOM was never what they had hoped, indeed even VS dropped it later and are just going back this year now Kingfisher are leaving LHR."

Never understood why BD abandoned the BOM route so soon after starting it, especially as the route was thriving at that time, whereas VS suspended the route much later, during the recession.

AFAIK VS have recently returned to the route, using the A330.

Skipness One Echo
5th Apr 2012, 13:05
It wasn't thriving on the bottom line, loads flying, no one making money. Good decison by VS to get back into the market now it seems to have settled and the overcapacity is receding. i.e. Kingfisher

WHBM
5th Apr 2012, 14:27
BA did not own therefore did not flog BMED, neither did BA offload the routes. The comment about the slots might be correct.
However, BA did own all the branding that was used ......

I believe also that the branding franchise commercial agreement with BMed also stipulated that BA had first refusal in the event of any sale. BMed didn't do well enough commercially, and thus was offered by its owners to BA first, who did the Due Diligence and said "no thanks". Quite rapidly, if I recall correctly. BMI then throught they had scored a considerable coup. Alas not, it seems.

I never used the BMI Mddle East routes, but I did once get one of the so-configured A320s as a substitute on BMI Inverness-Heathrow one evening, when BMI did this route as well. On boarding I couldn't believe the size of the business class cabin, for a narrowbody I have never seen an aircraft with such an enormous area at the front for premium seating. Incidentally, when checking in at Inverness we were told the aircraft was "full", which knowng the route and typical loads seemed extraordinary. Turned out this business cabin was to be unused, and so for weight & balance purposes the rear of the Y-class was likewise, and the 35 or so passengers (typical load) were all squished in 6-abreast, wth groups split up, in the first 6 Y rows. What a bizarre way to run an airline.

ETOPS
5th Apr 2012, 20:47
Asking on behalf of Cabin crew based at MAN. Any news for BMI crew based outside London? They are currently using their language skills on the German routes but aren't getting any indications from the company.

Options would appear to be BA LHR or redundancy so big decisions need to be made.

Thanks for any news..........

frontcheck
5th Apr 2012, 21:12
Same for ground staff based outside LHR , it is a waiting game to see how much is offered :sad:

The Royal Family
6th Apr 2012, 07:33
ETOPS, I imagine anything you hear on here will be rubbish, there is a lot of rubbish going round (as you know;)) and I think we will know more in 2 weeks time.

But, can you really see BA operate a LH route out of MAN 2 FRA full of lovey LH connecting pax's ? No thought not.

If that's not good enough, I have a friend who has a friend that's pregnant works for BA and now in uniform stores and she say's we are all going on Euro fleet, Worldwide and Mixed ****e. So take your pick. :ok:

BCALBOY
6th Apr 2012, 08:49
C'ant see any BD crew going directly on to Worldwide Fleet as this would annoy a lot of existing BA crew. I think Worldwide is basically 'closed' to new members and will shrink overtime as crew leave/retire.

Mixed Fleet is the new Fleet and this will grow as Worldwide declines.

I would have thought the vast majority majority (if not all ) BMI crew will go to mixed fleet at LHR . I suspect the BMI crew will remain as a group operating the former BMI routes for this summer ,and then from W12 some of these routes will cease and the remainder merge into the BA network and the crew will merge into Mixed Fleet at this point.

The Royal Family
6th Apr 2012, 11:39
this would annoy a lot of existing BA crew

What utter tosh :ugh:

Artie Fufkin
6th Apr 2012, 11:52
If that's not good enough, I have a friend who has a friend that's pregnant works for BA and now in uniform stores and she say's we are all going on Euro fleet, Worldwide and Mixed ****e.

I suppose "Preggars in Uniform Stores" trumps the usual sources of accurate information like The Cleaners or The Caterers.
:ok:

TCX69
6th Apr 2012, 12:57
Both bmi A330's require heavy MX this summer.

A330 G-WWBM is due to be ferried LHR-MLA on 19th May for MX and then for repaint before returning to LHR. Rumour is that a EuroFly A330 will be wetleased in to cover. G-WWBD will follow shortly afterwards.

Also A320 G-MIDX is being ferried LHR-EMA on 24th April for repaint.

BCALBOY
6th Apr 2012, 13:33
Royal Family , care to elaborate on what you think is Tosh ?

Skipness One Echo
6th Apr 2012, 14:08
Given G-WWBD and G-WWBM had a livery swap and fresh paint last year, this is just removal of STAR ALLIANCE liveries? Is G-MIDX expected to return in Union Flag colours?

bex88
6th Apr 2012, 17:45
G-MIDX is one of our Star Alliance livered ones so I would have thought with the target date of 20th april for change of ownership it will return in BA colours.

LHRKLBD
6th Apr 2012, 21:18
G-WWBD is in full livery not star livery. I'm gonna be sad to see this re-painted. I love the BMI livery on the A330.

As it would seem that the A330 aren't coming to BA does anyone know what livery there getting painted into ?

Cazza_fly
6th Apr 2012, 21:26
G-WWBD is in full livery not star livery. I'm gonna be sad to see this re-painted. I love the BMI livery on the A330.

As it would seem that the A330 aren't coming to BA does anyone know what livery there getting painted into ?

I would expect them to remain in the bmi livery untill they leave the fleet...

LHRKLBD
6th Apr 2012, 21:42
So Cazza_fly are you suggesting that G-WWBM will get painted into the BD livery, I really hope so. Would be glad to see both A330 in the livery before they leave. Also they would be the last aircrafts in the livery.

Cazza_fly
6th Apr 2012, 21:58
So Cazza_fly are you suggesting that G-WWBM will get painted into the BD livery, I really hope so. Would be glad to see both A330 in the livery before they leave. Also they would be the last aircrafts in the livery.

Sorry no. I rather mean that G-WWBD will most likely just remain in the bmi livery. As for G-WWBM, I'd be expecting it to remain white (Star Alliance removed) just with basic 'bmi' titles added. Obviously this depends on what the maintenance plans with the aircraft are going to be etc...

TCX69
6th Apr 2012, 22:31
Both A330's need MX, but as far as I know it will only be G-WWBM that will be repainted at this time. As mentioned just to have Star Alliance removed. It will more than likely remain all white, G-MIDS/X have similar fate I believe.

BAladdy
6th Apr 2012, 23:56

IB are due to begin taking delivery of A330's this year as a replacement for the A343. IB had originally planned to take delivery of 1 ex Air Berlin A332 and 1 ex Eurofly A332. These plans seem to have been scrapped in recent weeks. Maybe this is because IB are now planning to add the 2 BD A330's to there fleet

queenvic
7th Apr 2012, 06:00
I believe its a Eurofly 330 coming to do the Saudi while BM and BD have maintenance.

BD will be covering the FNA and ALA/ATQ

queenvic
7th Apr 2012, 06:13
BCALBOY -

I am midland and I'm looking forward to the new challenge coming to Airways!!!

Our existing tc's are nothing like mixed fleet ones.
we are best matched to eurofleet plus about 50 of us have had 6-7yrs+ longhaul flying on widebody 330 when Midland started the Mumbais.

The majority of us would be happy with mixed fleet although if you put the crew on mixed fleet earning £1000 a month the majority will leave within the 3mths. leaving BA desperately short of crew.

Dont get me wrong I will be greatful to have a job but i am not working for peanuts as I wont be able to afford my mortgage.

The Royal Family
7th Apr 2012, 07:08
Let's be honest our T&C's are nothing at all like BA's but at least that MAY keep us away from Mixed Fleet flying due to them being superior than theirs :ooh: and onto the other fleets where ours are inferior.

babybaby
7th Apr 2012, 07:11
Iberia ordered 8 new A330-300's powered by GE which arrive in 2013.

The BMI A330's are older -200's powered by RR.

Iberia do not currently operate any A330's.

Can't quite see IB taking on the two BMI A330's, unless IB urgently need short-term fill-in longhaul capacity. But then so might BA if the BMI deal goes through.

IB would probably find some cheap used A340's that are reasonably compatible with their current A340 fleet a better fill-in option longer term, especially if contemplating operating their pilots on a pooled A330 / A340 fleet.

Maybe a damp-lease of the BMI A330's to IB is on the cards, as BMI recently did for Turkish Airlines. Especially if a pilot surplus is on the cards.

babybaby :{

ayebmi
7th Apr 2012, 18:10
WHBM

I'd be very interested to hear more about your Inverness to LHR bmi flight... a route that BD has certainly not operated at any time since the BMED aquisition.!!!?? Yes these aircraft do have a large Business cabin at the front, a necessity to accomodate the business class passengers who pay more for their tickets which typically represent a higher proportion of the load on the Mid-haul routes than on other services using narrow body aircraft.

Cyrano
7th Apr 2012, 18:24
WHBM

I'd be very interested to hear more about your Inverness to LHR bmi flight... a route that BD has certainly not operated at any time since the BMED aquisition.!!!?? Yes these aircraft do have a large Business cabin at the front, a necessity to accomodate the business class passengers who pay more for their tickets which typically represent a higher proportion of the load on the Mid-haul routes than on other services using narrow body aircraft.

If you're going to try to take the high moral ground, it's best to check your foundations first. Bmi operated INV-LHR from March 2004 to March 2008. The BMed acquisition IIRC was in March 2007. If you bothered to read the OP's posting he wasn't complaining about the size of the business class cabin (we understand that some mid-haul routes may have a larger business class share, thanks so much) but about the operational decision to pack the small number of passengers into a small number of rows.:rolleyes:

WHBM
7th Apr 2012, 18:53
WHBM

I'd be very interested to hear more about your Inverness to LHR bmi flight... a route that BD has certainly not operated at any time since the BMED aquisition.!!!??.
Thursday 29 November 2007. BD 693. Dep INV 1815, arr LHR 1950. Scheduled for an A319, substituted with B.Med configured A320 G-MEDH in BMI livery.

B.Med acquired March 2007 (thanks Cyrano. And thanks Microsoft Outlook for holding all my travel detals !)

ayebmi
8th Apr 2012, 13:02
"B.Med configured A320 G-MEDH in BMI livery"

Do you mean the hybrid livery? BMI decals over the BA Union flag base livery? http://www.airliners.net/photo/BMI-British-Midland/Airbus-A320-232/1804482/&sid=47bab855da4b298687bd075ce695f85f

No BMED aircraft were at this time in full bmi livery. On the route though i do apologise as I forgot these were the dying days of the INV!

ayebmi
8th Apr 2012, 13:21
Cyrano, firstly, you're quite right, I was mistaken as to how long the INV route was operated, I should have checked my facts. Also WHBM I don't know why the ground staff told you the flight was full, that will be forever unexplained, maybe they were expecting and Embraer!? I'm sure you understand though that stipulated weight and balance tables for particular aircraft layouts (with their constraints) will dictate where the passenger load have to be located on any particular flight. I understand that it might seem all passengers have been crammed into a small area of the cabin without good reason (incidentally I have checked and this service operated with 66 pax on board), other factors such as hold loads etc. would affect the weight and balance for this configuration but they wouldn't have placed all the passengers into the front of the economy for no particular reason. The groundstaff were probably a bit phased by this strangely configured beast arriving in place of the 319!

frontcheck
8th Apr 2012, 14:56
I understand it was manual check-in at INV so the staff may have only been given a partial seat map to work with therefore the flight may have looked full taking the usable seats into account.

North Stand Tier3
12th Apr 2012, 11:09
Get your flak jackets and tommy hats on...it's starting...

Good luck to everyone...

Rougueg
12th Apr 2012, 11:14
A little more information would be great!

Businesstraveller
12th Apr 2012, 11:28
Communication below received yesterday from the mother ship. Hope I'm wrong in my assumption that as/when DC miles are roled into Avios that they will be downgraded.

We'd like to advise you of some forthcoming changes to the bmi Diamond Club programme.

From 19 April 2012, the ability for Diamond Club members to earn Status and Destinations miles and to redeem miles will cease on the Lufthansa Group airlines (Lufthansa, Swiss, Austrian Airlines, and Brussels Airlines).

Any redemption tickets issued prior to this date for travel will be honoured.

All Star Alliance status benefits will remain unaffected by this change.

We are working with British Airways to offer Diamond Club customers the ability to earn and redeem miles on British Airways and its oneworld partners following completion of the sale. We will do everything we can to communicate more detail as soon as possible.

Granite City Express
12th Apr 2012, 11:30
North Stand Tier3, could you be a bit more specific? Is it Donington Hall staff or frontline staff? Baby, Mainline or Regional? Any intel, at all, would be useful :{

Relying on pprune and travel mole for info:

BA starts selling bmi flights

British Airways has begun selling selected flights on bmi following approval of BA-parent IAG's takeover of the UK carrier almost two weeks ago by the European Commission.

Bmi flights to the following destinations are now bookable via BA's website:

• Yerevan (Armenia)
• Baku (Azerbaijan)
• Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
• Tbilisi (Georgia)
• Almaty (Kazakhstan)
• Beirut (Lebanon)
• Freetown (Sierra Leone)

All the above flights have a BA flight number but state that they are operated by bmi.

British Airways Executive Club Member travelling on these routes under a BA flight number will be able to earn Avios and Tier Points.

North Stand Tier3
12th Apr 2012, 11:36
Unions in at the Hall this morning so Mainline I guess

Comms to follow hence the good luck ... I know no more yet

TCX69
12th Apr 2012, 12:33
Dear Colleagues,

Since my last update to you we have had further discussions with BA and have now completed the integration proposals for bmi mainline. For bmi Regional and bmibaby, discussions with potential buyers continue.

As you know, the integration of the bmi mainline business into BA is crucial in order to achieve the synergies needed to make the business viable. It is therefore important that we act fast, so today we will begin a 90 day consultation with our union partners and elected representatives who were not part of the commercial consultation. At the meetings we will consult on proposals to integrate bmi mainline into BA.

The proposal is to completely integrate bmi into BA in time for the start of the winter 2012 schedule. This means that the bmi brand will disappear and our fleet will be repainted in British Airways’ livery and transferred to BA in a phased manner. The bmi AOC will cease to exist after the integration process has been completed. All commercial and operational activities will be integrated into BA and the head office and support functions will be absorbed.

The operational integration at LHR would secure jobs for up to 1,500 bmi mainline staff. Around 1,100 bmi cabin crew, pilots and engineers based at Heathrow would join BA and up to 400 passenger services jobs would be secured at Heathrow Terminal 1.

Regrettably, the integration proposals will lead to up to 1,200 redundancies. These roles are primarily based in the Midlands, at regional airports and in support, commercial and overhead functions. In the case of redundancies bmi's redundancy arrangements would apply.

We deeply regret that there will be job losses. Please understand that integration was the best possible solution for our business. *Consultation will seek to mitigate the impact of these potential redundancies, including matching to vacancies in British Airways at Heathrow. BA and bmi are also working on potential job opportunities with industry partners in the Midlands, such as Rolls-Royce.

Today a number of staff briefings will take place in key locations and the details of these meetings will be communicated to you shortly.

Please note that until completion takes place, which is expected around 20th April, there are still restrictions on the exchange of information; your manager can provide guidance as needed.

We will continue to keep you updated and you can continue to contact the XXXX email address with any queries you may have. We will publish those questions we can answer at this stage on the dedicated section on the bmi group intranet.

With best regards,

Wolfgang Prock-Schauer

Rougueg
12th Apr 2012, 12:40
Thanks TCX.

I have copied to the Regional Page also.

Rougueg

lexxity
12th Apr 2012, 15:14
What a crying shame, the loss of so many brilliant people and what was once a wonderful airline. Best of luck everyone.

jethro15
12th Apr 2012, 16:50
..............what was once a wonderful airline.
Could not agree more

davidjohnson6
12th Apr 2012, 17:11
Rather than purely Bishop, I'd be inclined to point the finger also at Lufty's advisers just before they signed the contract (the 'put option') that allowed Bishop to force Lufty to buy bmi.

Agreeing to buy a company far into the future for a price that bears little or no relevance to the strength of the company when it changes hands and when there are no guarantees that the company will be well managed between now and then only encourages the main shareholder(s) to do as much asset stripping in advance as possible

Sonic Bam
12th Apr 2012, 19:40
Basic gist of a briefing today:

90 day consultations across the board start tomorrow
Stockley Close, DH, bases outside LHR and EMA hangar to close by the end of the year
LHR operational staff to TUPE to BA, everybody else to get an offer, subject to the consultation process
bmi contractual terms and conditions apply to severance
BA internal vacancies to be made available to bmi staff
bmi/BMA ceases to exist as an airline by the end of the year
A319/320/321s start transfer of AOC to BA commencing end of May
A330s cease flying end of summer season
The above applies to bmi mainline only, not baby or Regional.

:{ or :ok: depending on your North - South divide.

RevMan2
12th Apr 2012, 20:04
I'd be inclined to point the finger also at Lufty's advisers just before they signed the contract...Agreeing to buy a company far into the future for a price that bears little or no relevance to the strength of the company when it changes hands and when there are no guarantees that the company will be well managed between now and then only encourages the main shareholder(s) to do as much asset stripping in advance as possible

That would be LH's ex-CEO but one (and current chairman of the Supervisory Board) and the current CEO of Condor.
The Alliance Agreement was a horrendously optimistic document, based on PowerPoint presentations that were totally devoid of risk-management strategies. Or reality, for that matter.

mutualswap
12th Apr 2012, 20:35
be interesting to see how they expect to run the airline for the next 6months with completely demotivated staff..(engineering,crewing,ops)........... that's those that choose to stay and not leave !!!

22/04
12th Apr 2012, 21:51
Guess it doesn't really matter. No long-term reputational issues and BA will absorb any disgruntled pax issues by making offers.

Customers won't be motivated to book BMi now.

If I were managing, that would be my mangment view.

Fairdealfrank
14th Apr 2012, 13:32
Quote: "Rather than purely Bishop, I'd be inclined to point the finger also at Lufty's advisers just before they signed the contract (the 'put option') that allowed Bishop to force Lufty to buy bmi.

Agreeing to buy a company far into the future for a price that bears little or no relevance to the strength of the company when it changes hands and when there are no guarantees that the company will be well managed between now and then only encourages the main shareholder(s) to do as much asset stripping in advance as possible"

Yes the "put option" arrangement does appear ill-advised from LH's point of view. Suspect that at the time, LH were greedily eye-ing up the future opportunity to get its hands on 14% of LHR slots.

Well they now have 8% (for another week) so 6% have "disappeared" to LH, or been sold by LH to offset losses.

Either way it's a disgraceful example of asset-stripping, and a classic example of an artificial market distortion (i.e. slot trading) directly caused by an absence of adequate runway capacity at LHR.

How many are losing their jobs as a result?

quantumofcheese
15th Apr 2012, 15:47
Hi all, I really want to log an ERJ but won't be able to travel until early July.

I'm looking at MAN-LHR with BMI Regional, the prices are good...but is it likely (I fear) that the aircraft will haved changed ie. BA/BMI A320 etc. by that date (c.July 2-6th?)

Any feedback would be much appreciated! :ok:

davidjohnson6
15th Apr 2012, 17:21
As expected, Sir Beardy has decided to appeal the EU's decision on BA and bmi. VS also seem likely to bid for all 12 slots up for grabs. Can only guess VS have realised that this is such bad news for them, that they have to act.
BBC News - Virgin Atlantic to appeal against BMI sale to BA (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17722171)

Very difficult to see what VS realistically hope to achieve from the appeal, apart from putting more FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) into bmi

bmi expat
15th Apr 2012, 18:44
Hey quantumofcheese, 1200 people out of work and all you care about is flying an ERJ, class!

quantumofcheese
15th Apr 2012, 19:08
bmi expat, I am sorry but:

1. 1200 job losses are preferable to 2700 job losses, that could have been over twice as many you know. Any magnitude of job losses is terrible but I am so glad that 1500 jobs will be saved!

2. The fact that an ERJ is on routes to LHR gives no suprise that BMI is where it currently is, I have never comprehended this...and that's in fact very reason which made me ask my original question as if I doubt IAG (or whoever BMI Regional's buyer may be..) want to keep them on such a route for much longer

I have read that the summer schedule is expected to remain as it currently is...does anybody know otherwise? I will be very grateful for any responses :)

quantumofcheese
15th Apr 2012, 19:45
protect slots for a pittance

I agree, but I just think they could have been used more effectively

so you should get your trip in

And thanks :)

Jack1985
15th Apr 2012, 19:47
Haven't seen anything but has Sir Michael Bishop had anything to say about the bmi/ba merger?

Little Blue
15th Apr 2012, 19:51
Doubt it ... He'll be too busy counting his pennies !!!

Rivet Joint
15th Apr 2012, 19:54
Not likely, is probably still laughing his head of all the way to the bank!

Jack1985
15th Apr 2012, 20:06
Had expected him to say nothing :hmm: really is such a shame what happened to bmi in the end only flew with them once and really enjoyed flying with them! hope to make a final journey with them in the Summer, I wish all staff the very best of luck in the coming days.

davidjohnson6
15th Apr 2012, 20:11
In buying bmi, would LH not have inserted a clause somewhere in the legal stuff, requiring that neither SMB or LH criticise each other publicly or make comments on how bmi is being run from the date of sale onwards for a number of years ?

When buying a company, the new owner does not want the previous owner to start playing the role of back seat driver - tends to mess up the morale of the employees

PAXboy
15th Apr 2012, 22:21
Jack1985... but has Sir Michael Bishop had anything to say ...Not withstanding the porbably correct observation by davidjohnson6, SMB does at least have the money to compensate him for seeing the exact opposite of all his plans.

(my speculation) For years, he prevented BA or VS from buying BD and thought he had 'won' by selling to LH. Now the worst has happened and his business has been shown to be badly managed, overblown and sold off to his arch enemy. Whilst he is not soley responsible - he was the one who held all the strings and was reported as being hands on in the main era of the carrier.

Still, money and sitting in the house of lords will probably convince a few folk what a jolly clever business man he was ...

The Royal Family
16th Apr 2012, 06:39
Mr Cruddas also said he nearly won a £1million donation from Australia-based tycoon Lord Glendonbrook. To try to seal the deal Mr Cruddas went to Sydney with a birthday card signed by the PM.

David Cameron's secret lavish dinners with party donors - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-camerons-secret-lavish-dinners-778795)

ETOPS
16th Apr 2012, 13:05
Take a look at this anaysts briefing about the plans for integration. Some fascinating detail in it

Centreforaviation.com/analysis (http://www.centreforaviation.com/analysis/british-airways-plans-two-phases-to-bring-bmi-and-its-london-heathrow-slots-to-profitability-65333)

INKJET
16th Apr 2012, 14:06
Thank you for posting that link, it illustrates just how much the lack of a 3 rd runway is holding back BA and the UK in terms of growth and jobs. Branson must be spitting feathers, but if you can't come up with the dosh, then tough luck, in any event bmi could have pushed Virgin over the edge, RB is just wanting some spoils, a few slots for free.

Short haul would be suicide for Virgin, I though the most illuminating fact was the average number of seats per aircraft LHR average 201 BA 199 bmi 119 and bmi struggled to fill even that small number, whilst a full ERJ may have lost less than a 40% full 320 the ERJ is a route killer out of LHR, it's a nice aircraft to fly in on thin or routes that would other wise be a turboprop, but lacks the space that you get with a bus or 737 for locker luggage. It has no role to play in a LHR that is 99% full.

Benjamino
16th Apr 2012, 16:03
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know what is happening with the FRA flights from BHX & MAN which are operated for Lufthansa? And any idea when these are likely to end?

quantumofcheese
16th Apr 2012, 16:10
BMI used BMI Regional's 145's on just a few LHR routes

duir:

In the link very kindly supplied by ETOPS it states that 'At Heathrow, bmi uses 50-seat regional aircraft on approximately 25% of its slots' - that means 1 in every 4 slots is used by an ERJ

..that figure pretty much speaks for itself

le grand fromage
19th Apr 2012, 08:15
So LH seem to be ditching the bmi pension scheme and have persuaded the trustees to agree to put it into the Pension Protection Fund. When they said early in the process with IAG that LH would be retaining the pension scheme I don't suppose that anyone thought they would be getting reduced benefits. This will affect everyone in some way and particularly pilots and management. Seems to me that the unions involved need to start a major campaign to persuade LH to change their mind and honour the commitments that all employees in the scheme expected. A noisy press campaign trashing LH's reputation in the UK might be a good start. As for the trustees, how did they get conned into this....they are supposed to be looking after the interests of members.....

FQTLSteve
19th Apr 2012, 08:38
Hi Benjamino, I've just been on the bmi reservations site and it appears that from 20 APR both services are all operated by LH, with bmi codeshare. Since I'm no expert, when the announcements have stated that bmi's full summer schedule will operate I assume (?) that all code share's with *A will continue until the start of the winter schedules. I would appreciate an explanation of how this works given the allaince situation after 19 April, if someone with more knowledge could explain please?

MaxRange120
19th Apr 2012, 10:22
Lufthansa, which is offloading the loss-making carrier to British Airways, on Wednesday told existing bmi pensioners and employees that changes were being made to the final salary scheme ahead of the takeover, which closes on Thursday.
The final salary pension scheme is being entered into the Pension Protection Fund (PPF) - an option normally used for companies that go bust.
The trustee of the scheme, Clive Grimley, admitted in a letter the move would "result in members receiving compensation that is less than their full expected benefits".
Bmi employees who are yet to retire will now only receive 90pc of their final salary pension. Payments will also be capped depending on their age at retirement.
Lufthansa has agreed to pay £84m to make up for some of the lost benefit, which will be distributed according to "individual members' characteristics".
Balpa, the pilots' union, said: "This will have a direct and negative effect on pilots' pensions."
A Lufthansa spokeswoman said the PPF was a last resort after the Pensions Regulator rejected a previous proposal.

Bmi pensions to be cut after sale to BA - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/transport/9212565/Bmi-pensions-to-be-cut-after-sale-to-BA.html)

BMI pensioners face cuts to benefits - FT.com (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6eeb1f8c-8979-11e1-85af-00144feab49a.html#axzz1sONjVB7d)

le grand fromage
19th Apr 2012, 14:50
Presumably the regulator only rejected LH keeping the scheme itself as it was using a shell UK subsidiary with little or no assets. If LH at the parent level had guaranteed the subsidiary, there's no way the regulator would have turned it down. So for the LH spokesperson to say it was a last resort to put the scheme into the PPF is disingenuous to say the least.
Can't believe the lack of outrage on these pages....this is a very large and financially sound company abandoning its wholly owned subsidiary and it's pensioners to much reduced pensions, limited increases and no widows or dependants pensions. Whilst I'm not surprised at LH 's behaviour, it's morally reprehensible. Where's the Daily Mail you need it!

Say again s l o w l y
19th Apr 2012, 15:19
Oh there's plenty of outrage, but everyone has been so ground down recently with all of the uncertainty and lack of direction that most are just too fed up and tired to do much about it.

A sorry state of affairs I'm afraid.

Nice e-mail from Lufty has just landed in the inbox too...

nigel osborne
19th Apr 2012, 15:48
La grand fromage

Im afriad its a ruthless business, LH had to cut millions,so doubt if they will be that devastated to let Baby go to the wall,if thats the final situation.

Its horrible for a dedicated workforce as you say !

Nigel

le grand fromage
19th Apr 2012, 16:34
Should point out that widows pension is payable at 50 percent ....my error in previous post.

G-AWZK
19th Apr 2012, 21:41
LH had to cut millions,so doubt if they will be that devastated to let Baby go to the wall,if thats the final situation.

Their management of bmi was woeful, and the sales process for the bmi group a pantomime, and deeply unprofessional. It has cost them millions by mis-management and short-sighted idiotic non-decision making.

It will cost thousands of people their livelihoods and mark my words, there will be people who will suffer the ultimate price.

ZeBedie
19th Apr 2012, 23:18
Why is the pension regulator allowing two profitable companies to do this?

Why did anyone believe LH when they said that they were creating a UK company to manage the fund?

ZeBedie
19th Apr 2012, 23:20
there will be people who will suffer the ultimate price.

You mean suicide? Or fatal stress related medical conditions? Yes, I wouldn't be surprised.

Howsie2007
20th Apr 2012, 11:44
LONDON — International Airlines Group has completed its takeover of Lufthansa unit bmi, and agreed to purchase its low-cost and regional operations at a "significant" discount, IAG said on Friday.
"IAG has completed the purchase of bmi from Lufthansa. It is planned that bmi mainline will be integrated into British Airways and consultation has begun already with bmi mainline staff and their trade unions," a statement said.
The London-headquartered group, holding company of British Airways and Iberia, added that it would continue to operate the no-frills division bmibaby and bmi regional in the short term, but look also to offload them because they were not part of IAG's long-term plans.
"bmibaby and bmi regional have not been sold prior to completion" of the deal to buy bmi mainline, said IAG.
"Under the terms of the purchase agreement, IAG will also acquire these businesses and receive a significant price reduction. IAG will pursue options to exit these businesses and more details will be provided in due course.
"The costs associated with exiting these businesses, including the impact of operating them in the short term, are expected to be offset by the price reduction."
The discount would be applied to the overall price. IAG had agreed late last year to purchase Lufthansa's loss-making unit, formerly known as British Midland, for £172.5 million ($277.8 million).

MaxRange120
22nd Apr 2012, 16:40
Lufthansa is criticised by MP for benefit cuts

UK/GERMANY - An MP has attacked German airline Lufthansa for failing to protect the interests of longstanding British workers who face massive cuts in their pension entitlements.

Does this look like something recent?
Did the unions know about these previous trends ?

Lufthansa is criticised by MP for benefit cuts (http://www.professionalpensions.com/global-pensions/news/1457971/lufthansa-criticised-mp-benefit-cuts)

le grand fromage
23rd Apr 2012, 11:24
Bloggs, really don't like your tone towards either LH or SMB....and just what is so wrong about SMB requiring LH to comply with a contract that was negotiated in good faith in 1999? The whole point of that deal was to allow SMB an exit from the business at a time of his choosing within certain time limits. There were no conditions placed on the condition of the business and LH had veto rights over all major decisions and 3 board members at all time. They had all relevant information at all times and have only themselves to blame for the mess that has now occurred.
If there is shame to be apportioned anywhere LH's abandoning of the pension scheme to the PPF takes some matching.

wings11
30th Apr 2012, 15:33
I understand there will be a gradual transfer of aircraft, crew and routes acros to BA from mid May to Oct. Anyone know which routes/aircraft are due to go first?

Aero Mad
30th Apr 2012, 15:45
Wonder if we'll see this anytime soon then.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4081/4741667191_fbd34005ba_n.jpg

jethro15
30th Apr 2012, 15:48
For a/c transfer see here (http://www.jethros.org.uk/fleets/fleet_listings/bmi.htm)

Updated as and when info becomes available

Flypuppy
30th Apr 2012, 20:06
Wonder if we'll see this anytime soon then.

In a word; no.

Sonic Bam
30th Apr 2012, 20:37
BA not interested in A330s, out of service from end of summer 2012 season.

crewmeal
1st May 2012, 05:42
I guess what goes around comes around. BMED buses were all painted in BA colours when the BA franchise was in operation. Now they will be back in BA colours proper.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o575/crewmeal/0744690-1.jpg?t=1335850896

Aksai Oiler
1st May 2012, 06:05
Does this mean the A330 will be replaced on the Almaty route with a return to a 321 as in the old BMED days or will Almaty be dropped ?

queenvic
1st May 2012, 07:17
Its been mentioned that IAG will give an update on what routes are likely to be operated and which routes will be dropped when they announce their Q1 results on May 11th.

Tagron
1st May 2012, 13:04
If BA continue the Almaty service then the only way to use the A321 would be via an intermediate stop. My guess (and it's only a guess) is they will continue it with the 767 or 777 which they used on that route prior to handing it over to BMed.

But I was curious to see that although BA have already placed their flight code on LHR-ALA they have not done so for the Almaty-Amritsar (ATQ) rotation.

queenvic
1st May 2012, 13:49
I believe there is no code share in place due to issues with the route licence...

I know a while a go BA were in Amritsar looking at hotels for the crew implying there are considering introducing a direct service.
Also I hear the station manager is not at risk of redundancy where others are.

Loads from London in the last few weeks have dropped of slightly... maybe as a result of BMI withdrawing from * as a high number of pax were from air canada's flights.

I would imagine Almaty would be kept with a direct 767...
Its think freetown is the best route revenue wise, then Almaty

JonnyBfs
1st May 2012, 16:30
Im a bit confused. wonder if you could help!

Booked flights in july for BHD-LHR-BER
Was wondering who will be operating the Berlin leg.

BMI Site says Lufthansa
LH site says BD

Who do you think? Will the BA Integration affect it?

queenvic
1st May 2012, 17:00
according to the latest timetable i have (update a few date ago) suggests bmi will be operating the route on behalf on LH until end of october.

overstress
3rd May 2012, 09:53
BA announces LHR-ICN to be flown on the 777 for the Winter season.

(Perhaps this should be in the BA thread but I though it was relevant!)

MaxRange120
15th May 2012, 12:18
British Airways has revealed more details of how it will integrate Bmi over the next few months and years.

Here are details of the airline’s plans over the next 12 months and beyond

http://www.abtn.co.uk/feature/1517361-british-airways-outlines-plans-bmi

Menne, currently CFO at the company’s former BMI unit, will assume her new role on July 1, Cologne, Germany-based Lufthansa said

BMI finance chief to take over at Lufthansa - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2012/05/08/40413/bmi+finance+chief+to+take+over+at+lufthansa.html)

TCX69
16th May 2012, 14:41
bmi to end services to DAM from the end of the month.

The last flight from Heathrow will be on Tuesday 29 May, returning from Damascus on Wednesday 30 May. Affected customers will be reaccommodated on other carriers or refunded.

TCX69
25th May 2012, 14:09
bmi will also end ADD by the middle of June.

The last departure from Heathrow will be on Sunday 10 June, the last departure from Addis Ababa will be on Monday 11 June. Customers affected will be reaccommodated on other carriers or refunded.

Sonic Bam
25th May 2012, 21:49
First bmi hull goes across to BA tomorrow night, G-DBCB. Painted up in the Dove livery. G-DBCC goes over to BA Tuesday still in bmi livery.:ouch:

LHRKLBD
27th May 2012, 20:22
G-DBCE is now over at the BA hanger being painted.

TCX69
27th May 2012, 22:02
G-DBCE is now over at the BA hanger being painted.

G-DBCE is in SOF. G-DBCC is in the BA hangar.

LHRKLBD
28th May 2012, 13:49
Here she is G-DBCB, taken yesterday, being towed from the BA hanger to the BMI hanger.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/577476_10150807177582583_552942582_9823269_1425001687_n.jpg

Sonic Bam
28th May 2012, 18:57
And G-DBCC is not being painted just yet.

nitefiter
30th May 2012, 10:33
And all of the hard working loyal bmi baby employees are being painted with a tarred brush and chucked on a large scrap heap come september.!!!!!

Sonic Bam
30th May 2012, 20:13
:sad: And the bmi mainline staff at EMA in December. :sad:

babybaby
31st May 2012, 04:54
And many of those at LHR too, not to mention those at BHD, EDI, MAN, ADD, KRT .....

babybaby :{

EastMids
31st May 2012, 07:41
Rumour doing the rounds that Jet2 are taking the big bmi (ex bmi) hangar at EMA from the end of the year...?

LBIA
31st May 2012, 09:06
Now thats a bit wierd as jet2 are rumoured to increseing the fleet to 58 aircaft next summer and building a new engineering hangar on site at LBA as well. So i wonder if that plan has been put on hold and instead they moving in the bmi's hangar at EMA.

MaxRange120
31st May 2012, 11:14
British Airways gains another lounge at Heathrow, while Star Alliance loses one, as BA takes over BMI's superb Great British Lounge at London Heathrow's Terminal 1.

British Airways takes over, rebrands BMI lounge at Heathrow T1 - Flights | hotels | frequent flyer | business class - Australian Business Traveller (http://www.ausbt.com.au/british-airways-takes-over-rebrands-bmi-lounge-at-heathrow-t1)

JonnyBfs
1st Jun 2012, 16:39
Read on another forum that Belfast City was to become a BA flight as of June 27

Any truth in this? What differences will there be for passengers, like myself wanting to connect onto a LH flight?

Thanks for your help

bex88
2nd Jun 2012, 07:09
The flights are slowly moving over from bmi to ba flight codes. Take Vienna for example. That was a bmi flight using a bd flight number. It is now a ba flight using a ba flight number. The aircraft and crew are still bmi so other than a flight number you should not really notice any change. It will still arrive into T1 so wont affect your connection. Its worth noting the bmi summer program is running as planned so time should also remain the same. Hope this helps

JonnyBfs
3rd Jun 2012, 16:07
The flights are slowly moving over from bmi to ba flight codes. Take Vienna for example. That was a bmi flight using a bd flight number. It is now a ba flight using a ba flight number. The aircraft and crew are still bmi so other than a flight number you should not really notice any change. It will still arrive into T1 so wont affect your connection. Its worth noting the bmi summer program is running as planned so time should also remain the same. Hope this helps

Thanks! Was wondering mainly if my baggage will be checked through BMI/BA to Lufthansa?

Heathrow Harry
3rd Jun 2012, 16:20
This week BMI from DUB/EIDW was still BMI staffed and used LHR T1 but the booking was redirected to the BA site from the BMI login

Impossible to print off boarding pass in advance - had to check in at airport (how quaint!!) due to the change

frontcheck
3rd Jun 2012, 18:19
It is a known problem Heathrow Harry, seems to be due to the different security requirements of BA.com and the BD check-in system. Don't think it will be sorted
in the near future, just have to live with it until all flights are transferred to BA check-in system.

TCX69
3rd Jun 2012, 21:21
The flights are slowly moving over from bmi to ba flight codes. Take Vienna for example. That was a bmi flight using a bd flight number. It is now a ba flight using a ba flight number. The aircraft and crew are still bmi so other than a flight number you should not really notice any change.

You will notice a change. The following bmi flights that have moved over to a BA flight number are now operated by BA crew on the newly refitted ex-bmi A319's & with BA in-flight service:

BA8138 LHR-BSL
BA8139 BSL-LHR
BA8141 BSL-LHR
BA8142 LHR-BSL
BA8146 LHR-NCE
BA8147 NCE-LHR
BA8148 LHR-VIE
BA8149 VIE-LHR

The following flights will also become BA operated:

Commencing 07Jun:
BA8140 LHR-BSL
BA8143 BSL-LHR
BA8144 LHR-NCE
BA8145 NCE-LHR

Commencing 18Jun:
BA8150 LHR-BGO
BA8151 BGO-LHR
BA8152 LHR-SVG
BA8153 SVG-LHR

This therefore means that from these dates all flights to BGO, BSL, NCE, SVG & VIE will no longer be 'bmi operated' flights.

ib26uk
3rd Jun 2012, 21:31
Is the Dublin route likely to be transfering over to BA aswell ??

TCX69
3rd Jun 2012, 21:42

The remaining shorthaul network to ABZ, BHD, DUB, EDI & MAN, aswell as AGA, CMN & RAK will also transfer over to BA in due course, as and when the aircraft also transfer. Commencing the beginning of July BA operated flights may start to see a mix of BA & ex-bmi crew as the crew start to migrate across also.

crewmeal
4th Jun 2012, 05:31
I'm due to fly to AMM in August. Is that like to be a BA service or still BMI?

BAladdy
4th Jun 2012, 06:04
The remaining shorthaul network to ABZ, BHD, DUB, EDI & MAN, aswell as AGA, CMN & RAK will also transfer over to BA in due course, as and when the aircraft also transfer. Commencing the beginning of July BA operated flights may start to see a mix of BA & ex-bmi crew as the crew start to migrate across also.

Phase two of BMI's integration was announced on the 30th of May. Phase two will see BD's flights to ABZ/AMM/BEY*/BHD/DUB/EDI & MAN have there current BD flight numbers be replaced with BA ones. On the BEY route ONLY the direct non stop flights will have there flight number changed. With BD's services to BEY that continue to Khartoum continuing to operate under there BD flight numbers.

Flights to AMM and BEY are expected to take on there current BA codeshare flight numbers. The other phase 2 routes will operate with flight number starting either BA81xx and will continue to operate from Terminal 1 until at least the end of October. BA have decided that the integration of the phase two will be carried out in two parts.

Part 1 - Flights to BHD, DUB and MAN will begin to operate under there new BA flight numbers from 27th June. BA will begin to contact those customer who have already booked with for travel after 27th June from the 6th June. To advise them that there flights will now operate under new BA flight numbers.

Part 2 - Flights to ABZ, AMM, BEY and EDI will begin to operate under there new BA flight numbers from July 4th. BA will from June 11th begin to contact those customer who have already booked with BD for travel after July 4th. To advise them that there flights will now operate under new BA flight numbers.

ALL new bookings for travel after June 27th for part 1 flights and July 4th for part 2 flights will cease to be handled by BD's website from around the 7th & 12th June respectively. All new booking enquires being automatically redirected to BA's website from those dates

The exact dates that the phase 2 routes will switch from being op by BD aircraft/crew to BA aircraft crew will be announced in due course

BFS101
4th Jun 2012, 15:44
BAladdy, from the dates you've mentioned, 27th June for BHD, will the onboard service also change to reflect BA's, ie complimentary catering, ability to accrue BA miles, baggage policy etc??

I have booked to travel BHD-LHR in September to connect onward, and entered my Virgin frequent flyer number on booking. I presume BA will give me the chance to now change this to obtain BA miles??

mutualswap
4th Jun 2012, 18:11
you have to wonder how on earth the chaps at the hall continue working knowing full well 90% of the staff are not going to BA and will be unemployed in about 3-6 months time

davidjohnson6
4th Jun 2012, 18:59
mutual - because it's still a monthly pay cheque. Better to keep the cash coming into your bank account for as long as you can, keep that record of employment on your CV, while looking at job websites at work.

Virtually every office worker I know has worked out that what matters is that your boss sees you at your desk, appearing to work. Whether you're actually doing any work, or just playing Minesweeper / surfing or doing anything else is largely irrelevant !

frontcheck
4th Jun 2012, 19:20
Outstation groundstaff still working as normal. The longer you can hang on , the more money in the bank before the chop! Not easy and very strange atmosphere:{

one day soon
4th Jun 2012, 19:35
Any word on the DME flights BAladdy?

BAladdy
5th Jun 2012, 07:50
Any word on the DME flights BAladdy?

BD will continue to operate there DME service until the end of S12 schedule. Last I heard the two BD slot pairs are to be leased to Transaero from the start of W12.

BAladdy, from the dates you've mentioned, 27th June for BHD, will the onboard service also change to reflect BA's, ie complimentary catering, ability to accrue BA miles, baggage policy etc??

Yes you will be able to accrue Avios Points from the 27th June. From the same date Online check-in for flights that have changed to a BA flight number will have to be done through ba.com.

At present the majority of the 1st wave of routes that have been changed to BA flight numbers are mostly being still being operated by BD aircraft and crew and have for now retained the onboard BD product. Over the next couple months the exterior and interior design of bmi’s aircraft, as well as the onboard experience will gradually transform into British Airways’ style.

There is a way to check whether your flight will be operated by a BA aircraft, crew and service or BD aircraft, crew and service. All you do is :

1. Go to BA's website and click the information tab at the top of the home page

2. Then click arrivals and departures and enter your flight number.

3. Once the info has loaded just look at the left hand side of the screen there you will see a General information box. This is were you will see whether your flight is to be operated by BD or BA.

You can check your flight up yo 14 days before departure. However it is worth baring in mind that this info could change at the last minute due to operational reasons.

I have booked to travel BHD-LHR in September to connect onward, and entered my Virgin frequent flyer number on booking. I presume BA will give me the chance to now change this to obtain BA miles??
According to the FAQ's on the BA website

"Bookings on non-Star Alliance partners (Virgin, Qatar, TransAero and Jet Airways) will continue to earn destinations miles."

Further information on changes to cabin baggage allowances, check in times etc as well as some FAQ's can be found here:

bmi (BD) flights changing to British Airways (BA) flights - British Airways (http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bmi-policy-disclosure/public/en_gb)

Hope this info is of some help

BCALBOY
5th Jun 2012, 10:11
The slots used by Transero on their current 2 daily services are leased from BMI . These are now owned by BA but under the terms of approval for BA take-over of BMI , BA has to continue to lease these slots to Transero.

The slots used on BMI's own services to DME are now owned by BA and can be used as they see fit - it remains to be seen if BA use them to increase frequency on DME or they may be passed to a competitor who wishes to commence new service to DME ( e.g. VS ) or used by BA to do something completely different.

ajamieson
6th Jun 2012, 09:34
Outstation groundstaff still working as normal. The longer you can hang on , the more money in the bank before the chop! Not easy and very strange atmosphere
Your regular customers appreciate all your ongoing hard work and professional despite the horrible circumstances :ok:

Businesstraveller
6th Jun 2012, 11:20
Anyone know what the plan is for the BMI lounges, especially the London Lounge and those at Manchester and Edinburgh? I have to say I prefer the BMI lounges at each of those locations.

irishlad06
6th Jun 2012, 11:56
it has already been confirmed that the lounge in T1 in heathrow is turning into a BA lounge. dnt know about the rest, i couldnt see them turning to ba lounges unless they are in different terminals in man and edi, but this i dnt know. only my opinion.

frontcheck
6th Jun 2012, 13:16
Pure speculation but would not be surprised if BA took on the EDI lounge and cut a deal with the new owners of the airport to share the cost of a revamp by giving up some of the space which would mean the bottleneck at gate 4 could be addressed by moving the kitchen area further back. Result for both BA and GIP :ok:

mizake the mizzen
6th Jun 2012, 15:06
British Airways (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airline.php?airline=BA) (BA, London Heathrow (LHR) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?airportid=1892)) has announced that it will transfer bmi british midland (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airline.php?airline=BD) (BD, East Midlands (EMA) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?airportid=1868)) routes from London Heathrow (LHR) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=LHR) to Belfast Aldergrove International (BFS) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=BFS), Dublin International (DUB) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=DUB) and Manchester Ringway International (MAN) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=MAN) to its own BA flight numbers from June 27 and routes to Aberdeen Dyce (ABZ) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=ABZ), Amman Queen Alia International (AMM) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=AMM), Beirut Rafic Hariri International (BEY) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=BEY) and Edinburgh (EDI) (http://www.ch-aviation.ch/portal/airport.php?iata=EDI) from July 4. The flights will be operated by bmi aircraft and crew and it is expected that all transferred routes will continue to be served following the full integration of bmi into British Airways. Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Manchester are already served by BA from Heathrow as well.

Source: CH-Aviation.

EI-BUD
6th Jun 2012, 15:25
mizake the mizzen;

LHR to Belfast International, surely this is a mistake?

EI-BUD

mizake the mizzen
6th Jun 2012, 15:36
EI-BUD

Very possibly a typo, it's a direct copy word for word from the news release, possibly they got confused between Belfast BFS and BHD..
As the saying goes..don't shoot the messenger..

FQTLSteve
9th Jun 2012, 09:29
G-MIDX is at BHX op for LH to FRA. It is large STAR c/s, but has brand new bmi brown leather interior and has had the business class seats removed. Travelled twice last week on it, very smart interior, howeve very troubled crew.....both cabin managers told me that IAG aren't giving them any info, they don't know how long they will continue to op for LH. This must apply to MAN as well, would I be correct to think that G-MIDS is based there now for similar LH ops, this a/c was previously at BHX, not sure what has happened, some threads say it has gone to be painted into BA colours???

MaxRange120
4th Jul 2012, 14:40
Well the tool is live… so it’s time to convert those BMI Diamond Club Destination Miles to British Airways Avios (unless there’s a reason you want Diamond Club miles – eg redemption space on Jet, Qatar, Virgin Atlantic or Transaero).

How to do it:

A Guide to migrating your bmi Diamond Club Miles to British Airways Avios…. - Ghetto IFE (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/ghettoife/2012/07/02/a-guide-to-migrating-your-bmi-diamond-club-to-british-airways-avios/)

EI-BUD
4th Jul 2012, 15:40
Yes and the conversion to Executive Club took just minutes! Which is great, I can now go further on BA with my avios!

Does anybody know and I cannot get a direct answer from bmi or MBNA on this one... I have bmiAmericanExpress card and I earn diamond club miles on all spending to the rate of 1.5 per £1 spend, (most).

What happens now that all of Diamond Club miles are now AVIOS? MBNA will not link my card to Executive Club, surely the Diamond Club Scheme will be wound up eventually???

I may very well move to BA Card.

EI-BUD

ib26uk
4th Jul 2012, 18:23
Maxrange,

Thank you for linking to that website - I`ve just moved my miles across aswell

Thank you :ok::ok:

EI-BUD
4th Jul 2012, 22:57
I see that Aer Lingus are offering a 'Diamond Club Tier Match'. That's not very much working with BA.... Interesting though.

Fairdealfrank
4th Jul 2012, 23:04
Regretably, this implies that the demise of the Diamond Club is imminent. Doubtless a Star Alliance carrier will make a similar offer(?)

ara01jbb
6th Jul 2012, 20:33
Unless the new BMI-R takes it on, Diamond Club will be wound down before the year is out. The staff are already being laid off.

AC and I believe TK are both currently offering *A status matches.

dpconlan2011
7th Jul 2012, 12:20
anyone know how competitive avios redemption taxes and charges for ba flights are? Just want to know if it's worth collecting them?

flying officer kite
9th Jul 2012, 10:25
I've already moved my Diamond miles over to Avios, but is there any point keeping the Diamond Club card or account now? I tried contacting BMI and BA about this, but got nowhere.

Omnipresent
9th Jul 2012, 10:50
anyone know how competitive avios redemption taxes and charges for ba flights are? Just want to know if it's worth collecting them?

The combined fuel surcharge on APD on redemption tickets is very high (over £500 per ticket for a long-haul redemption in Club World). However the "Upgrade Using Avios" (formerly Miles For Upgrade) option to upgrade a paid ticket from World Traveller Plus to Club World is still a very good deal.

BA has also introduced a "reward saver" option for short-haul redemptions where you pay a small flat fee instead of the APD and fuel surcharge and this has made short haul redemptions much better value than in the past.

EI-BUD
9th Jul 2012, 12:21
I've already moved my Diamond miles over to Avios, but is there any point keeping the Diamond Club card or account now? I tried contacting BMI and BA about this, but got nowhere.

FlyingOfficerKite; Like you I've have moved my avios over to BA so there is no need whatsoever to keep your diamond club card, doesnt serve any purpose. In addition, if you log into flybmi.com you will see balance is now zero.

However, if you have a bmi american express card like me, you will continue to accrue diamond club miles on spend on the card, and at the end of the month (or whenever your statement is run and diamond club points awarded) you will have to go into BA.com and use the tool to bring those points over.

There is still absolutely nothing arranged for the bmi credit card, as it is american express (now with a supplementary Visa card on the same account), I figure this is at odds with BA's own Amex card, which is direct from AMEX rather than MBNA with bmi.

I dont know what will happen, but I am guessing that the mbna amex will disappear and BA do a deal with MBNA for a Visa card. That wont be at odds with AMEX arrangement, and allows BA to have new income stream and MBNA to hold onto a bunch of customers. THis is just my speculation, though I am not sure how many on here hold such a card as I had no responses to a post on the same topic.

EI-BUD

Skipness One Echo
13th Jul 2012, 17:44
G-WWBM has returned to service, now in basic BMI colours, last aircraft ever to be so painted I would say.

ballyctid
14th Jul 2012, 07:17
Well the tool is live… so it’s time to convert those BMI Diamond Club Destination Miles to British Airways Avios (unless there’s a reason you want Diamond Club miles – eg redemption space on Jet, Qatar, Virgin Atlantic or Transaero).

How to do it:

A Guide to migrating your bmi Diamond Club Miles to British Airways Avios…. - Ghetto IFE (http://boardingarea.com/blogs/ghettoife/2012/07/02/a-guide-to-migrating-your-bmi-diamond-club-to-british-airways-avios/)

Thanks for the heads up, didn't realise that you could move points over. Just managed to add another 50% to my Avios account! ;)

TCX69
14th Jul 2012, 10:54
G-WWBM has returned to service, now in basic BMI colours, last aircraft ever to be so painted I would say.

Indeed & what a not so good them they've done aswell!

It has had its interiors updated to brown cow too! :D

ajamieson
16th Aug 2012, 13:56
TCX69 and others - any word on a date for the final BD-operated or Midland callsign flight?

I understand the last date for BD as the primary flight code on EDI/LHR is Sat 25 August, but I guess it could be different on other routes.

Will it be marked in any way?

frontcheck
16th Aug 2012, 14:59
EDI/LHR flights have been under BA primary flight numbers for weeks now.
The handling of all ex BD EDI/LHR flights transfers to Menzies as of midnight tonight.

Sonic Bam
16th Aug 2012, 19:46
Have not heard of bmi's last flight but baby's lands at EMA 22:45 on Sunday 9th September. I think the last bmi aircraft transfers to BA first week of November.:sad:

TCX69
17th Aug 2012, 09:24
From what I can work out the last bmi flight operating a BD flight number will be A321, BD928 GYD-LHR on 27th October 2012. :{

irishlad06
17th Aug 2012, 19:00
While the flights may be operating under BA flight numbers in appearance its not the actual case. If the aircraft is still painted in the BD livery and still on the BD AOC then the BD call sign and flight number is still used, to the passengers it's a BA flight but it's still BMI crew in BMI uniforms.

bex88
17th Aug 2012, 20:39
although about 6 weeks ago BHD was midland crew and aircraft but a speedbird call sign. Anyones guess

JonnyBfs
17th Aug 2012, 20:57
Bhd was BMI crew and aircraft as recently as last Monday. Was a great service!

17th Aug 2012, 23:26
While the flights may be operating under BA flight numbers in appearance its not the actual case. If the aircraft is still painted in the BD livery and still on the BD AOC then the BD call sign and flight number is still used, to the passengers it's a BA flight but it's still BMI crew in BMI uniforms.

For factual accuracy. The aeroplane can be painted in BD colours, but still be operated on the BA AOC. The aircraft's registration on either respective AOC is the only determining factor I believe!

And of course, ALL crew are BA crew now, regardless of whether they are temporarily wearing another airline's uniform.

TCX69
18th Aug 2012, 11:19
And of course, ALL crew are BA crew now, regardless of whether they are temporarily wearing another airline's uniform.

ALL crew are not BA crew now. Only those crew that have transferred over, get paid by BA & wear a BA uniform are actually BA crew. IAG may well of purchased bmi but all of the crew are not yet BA & most probably won't be until early next year!

crewmeal
8th Sep 2012, 22:08
Well done to whoever was waving the BMI flag whilst 'Rule Britannia' was been sung.

jedigtr
11th Sep 2012, 20:22
Midnight tonight and all in engineering at LHR become BA staff.

MaxRange120
4th Oct 2012, 16:37
Last bmi commercial flight

The last commercial BD flight on the bmi AOC with passengers on board will be on Saturday 27th October. A very sad day.

Also Bmi’s Diamond Club to wind down from October 27

Bmi’s Diamond Club loyalty scheme will effectively close at the end of October, following the integration of the carrier into BA’s Heathrow operations.

From October 27, members will no longer be able to earn or spend destinationmiles on Bmi or partner airline flights, nor will they earn miles with partners including hotels, BAA Worldpoints, etc.

Buying destination miles will also no longer be possible, nor will upgrading using miles, and members will no longer earn status miles on flights.

In fact the only Diamond Club benefits that will remain, for now at least, are access to BA’s Heathrow T5 lounges for existing elite tier members who haven't already opted to status match with BA's Executive Club, and the ability to earn miles through the Bmi credit card, for transferral into Avios (click here for more information).

From October 28 members will need to visit diamondclub.org to check their balances. All non-UK members will need to transfer their Diamond Club miles into Avios by December 31, at which point their accounts will close and what’s left of the scheme will become UK-only.

The exception is for members living in Australia and New Zealand, who will see their accounts “frozen”. Bmi says it is “currently reviewing options” for customers in those countries.

Bmi’s Diamond Club to wind down from October 27 - Business Traveller (http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/bmia-s-diamond-club-winds-down-from-october)

MaxRange120
22nd Oct 2012, 13:19
Good bye, bmi

bmi’s final commercial flight will arrive at Heathrow on Saturday 27 October at approximately 10.30am UK time - the BD928 from Baku.

The touchdown of BD928 will signal the end of the bmi flights at Heathrow and if anyone wants to go along to watch this.It has been arranged for BD928 to land on the runway adjacent to Bath Road, and, as it taxies to the gate, the aircraft will pause whilst the airport fire engines create a water arch to welcome it home for the last time and into history.

fjencl
22nd Oct 2012, 15:07
Whats happening to the cabin crew and flight deck who are based up in Edinburgh, Over in Belfast City and Manchester.

Have they all had to apply for jobs with BA at LHR, as we all know BA don't have crew bases at EDI, BHD or MAN.

Just wondered what was happeing to everybody now........???????

bex88
22nd Oct 2012, 16:51
they were all for the chop but everyone did a deal to prevent this. Most senior guys at outstations forgot and now want to screw the junior guys.:D

fjencl
22nd Oct 2012, 17:12
sent you a private message.

The Royal Family
23rd Oct 2012, 10:54
they were all for the chop but everyone did a deal to prevent this. Most senior guys at outstations forgot and now want to screw the junior guys

I'm sorry but I am crew in MAN and this statement is utter tosh, we are all going (though some of us are fighting) :mad:

bex88
24th Oct 2012, 13:26
the statement refers to flight crew only

Surreyman
24th Oct 2012, 14:16
Anyone know if T1 is going to be 're-jigged' re check-in desks for BA flights from 28/10?
Currently they use Zone A (Club class) Zone B desks 1-8 & Zone K for whats left of BD until Saturday (Lufthansa/Austrian use the other B desks).
Can't help thinking that 8 desks (yes I know many people are just using them for bag drop) will be insufficient for the new BA flight schedule from Sunday.

The Royal Family
24th Oct 2012, 14:18
the statement refers to flight crew only

I think you missed off "because that's all we are interested in" from your quote :ugh:

skip.rat
24th Oct 2012, 14:35
they were all for the chop but everyone did a deal to prevent this. Most senior guys at outstations forgot and now want to screw the junior guys.

How are the outstation guys screwing the junior guys? (just curious)

SR

bex88
25th Oct 2012, 19:13
It is Professional Pilots Rumour Network after all. I am not in a position to comment on cabin crew because I just don't know whats going on.

edi_local
25th Oct 2012, 19:53
Anyone know if T1 is going to be 're-jigged' re check-in desks for BA flights from 28/10?
Currently they use Zone A (Club class) Zone B desks 1-8 & Zone K for whats left of BD until Saturday (Lufthansa/Austrian use the other B desks).
Can't help thinking that 8 desks (yes I know many people are just using them for bag drop) will be insufficient for the new BA flight schedule from Sunday.

I don't know what's happening for sure, but T1 check in is going to get a major shake up in the next few days and weeks. A lot of airlines are moving about. They have already started removing the glass panels which used to segregate bmi premium check in and taken up the black flooring to be replaced with the standard BAA tiles. The same has happened at the TAM premium check in area in Zone G, so something is happening there too!

EI-BUD
25th Oct 2012, 19:55
Can anybody tell me if any of the bmi BHD based cabin crew or pilots at bmi were offered or eligible to get positions with BA either at LHR or BHD?

My understanding was that BA would not have any locally based crew?
Today, I heard that some were kept on???

EI-BUD

bex88
26th Oct 2012, 07:21
BHD pilots were put at risk but this was mitigated against by collective action of BALPA and the mainline pilots. A agreement was reached that allowed the pilots to take up a LHR base in their current role. They were however required to move at their own cost waiving the clause in their previous contract of employment. I am sorry but I do not know 100% about cabin crew but it was my understanding that a transfer was not offered but they could apply for a position in mixed fleet through the regular recruitment channels but I could very well be ill informed

ETOPS
26th Oct 2012, 07:39
Many outstation BMI cabin crew are losing their jobs at the end of next week - oddly the date will be the 30th not the 31st. There is a group ET action underway so I can't comment further.

TURIN
27th Oct 2012, 09:59
The last commercial BD flight on the bmi AOC with passengers on board will be on Saturday 27th October. A very sad day........etc.

Not strictly accurate. The Lufthansa FRA-MAN service operated by BMI is scheduled to arrive at 2200hrs (ish) tonight.

OltonPete
27th Oct 2012, 11:38
I assume the BHX-FRA due at 22.50 (G-MIDO) is also on the BMI AOC?

I realise that it is a Lufthansa flight but it is on code-share LH958/BD3326 per the Frankfurt website and GDS (BD not on the BHX site).

I know this is a minor point and of absolutely no comfort to those affected but it would be good to know if this is the ever commercial flight under the BMI AOC and it ends in the Midlands

I only manages four flights on BMA (not BMI) including the DC9-15, SH6 and ATP but fond memories including my one and only business trip flying on BHX-LHR - Shorts 360.

Pete

TCX69
27th Oct 2012, 14:03
Not strictly accurate. The Lufthansa FRA-MAN service operated by BMI is scheduled to arrive at 2200hrs (ish) tonight.

The LH flights from BHX/MAN are just that, LH. They're not commercial 'BD' flights, just flights for LH operated by BD & on the BD AOC. There are several non-commercial 'BD' flights over the next few days to get A/C to where they need to be.

lexxity
27th Oct 2012, 14:58
To all my ex-colleagues, the very best of luck in the future. It was an absolute pleasure to have worked with the best people in the industry and I'm so grateful I got to be a part of it.

DaveReidUK
27th Oct 2012, 16:19
BMA928 reportedly given a water-cannon salute on arrival from Baku this morning.

Nice touch.

OltonPete
27th Oct 2012, 16:30
All gone pear-shaped for the last day of BMI operations on BHX-FRA.

LH959 departed a little late and got into Frankfurt at about 08.50 UK time but a three hour forty turnaround at Frankfurt has put paid to a smooth operation for the last day.

LH954/5 operated about 90 minutes late and of course you start hitting Frankfurt curfew times with the last flight. Recently LH have used their own aircraft on LH956/7 leaving the BMI A320 on the ground ready for the last FRA-BHX of the day but not this time.

BHX arrivals & FRA departures now show LH958 as cancelled and LH956 operating late with LH957 cancelled.

What a disappointing end to BHX operations, was this due aircraft tech, weather or slot problems earlier in the day?

Pete

insuindi
27th Oct 2012, 17:08
FRA has suffered from the weather today - long list of delays and cancellations.

crewmeal
27th Oct 2012, 17:30
So what will happen to the BMI a/c that operate the last MAN & BHX flights afterwards? Position to LHR and join BA's fleet?

MaxRange120
27th Oct 2012, 17:32
Not much else to say

bmi British Midland tribute - The way we were in 2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=6eLo4fXqgyQ&feature=fvwp)

Thanks Mr Flashjet

Gonzo
27th Oct 2012, 17:42
BMA928 reportedly given a water-cannon salute on arrival from Baku this morning.

Yep, I was standing on the stand when it arrived.

A sad day, BMI have always been a pleasure to work with, both over the RT and liaising with their ground and flight ops departments.

All at Heathrow ATC will miss them.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/Gonzo_1979/20121027_103727.jpg

BHX2FRA
27th Oct 2012, 19:49
The LH flights from BHX/MAN are just that, LH. They're not commercial 'BD' flights, just flights for LH operated by BD & on the BD AOC There are several non-commercial 'BD' flights over the next few days to get A/C to where they need to be..

Even though the plane is wet leased to LH surely this is still a commercial BD operation as it is earning money for BMI. I agree the positioning flights to come are non commercial flights.

Nubboy
27th Oct 2012, 23:07
Cheers Gonzo, thanks for the piccy. There were quite a few of us watching from over the fence, hardly a dry eye in the house, so to speak.

Mushroom_2
28th Oct 2012, 08:33
A sad day, BMI have always been a pleasure to work with, both over the RT and liaising with their ground and flight ops departments.

All at Heathrow ATC will miss them.

We're still there - just in a different uniform and a posh accent!

1013.25mb
29th Oct 2012, 15:20
Emotional arrival for bmi's final flight into Heathrow - YouTube

Its been a pleasure working with you all. See you on the dark side......

:ok:

compton3bravo
29th Oct 2012, 17:24
A very sad day indeed, always enjoyed flying with BMI and when it was just British Midland. In my mind its demise just about sums up what has happened to the UK and most of Europe over the last 20 years - corporate greed and everyone for themselves and sod the rest!

Businesstraveller
29th Oct 2012, 19:47
As a punter who had the pleasure of choosing to fly BMI, BMI Regional and BMI Baby countless 100s of times I'd like to say how friendly, professional and polite I found all staff to be at all times. This applies across the whole BMI family. Flying within or out/in of the UK will be a little less rich as a result of the end of BMI.

edi_local
29th Oct 2012, 22:20
I only flew with bmi a few times, all in the last few years (pretty much since the rebranding to bmi took place). I must say that they offered a very nice product. I found them to be more comfortable than BA and the aircraft always looked like they were cared for a bit more on the inside, no worn or tatty seats. I know a lot of people who worked for them at various stages and thankfully most of them have been taken up by other airlines or handling agents in one form or another. Sadly, a few have lost their jobs.

I am missing them already as I book flights home from LHR to Edinburgh. Before there used to be good competition on flight times and especially prices. Now, while the times have more or less remained unchanged as both airlines had a pretty regular shuttle in both directions anyway, the prices however have shot right up. Now that the route has a sole operator, BA can charge whatever they want, really. The sooner someone else can step in and take away BAs monopoly on that route the better! :mad:

champair79
29th Oct 2012, 22:56
Yes all bmi owned aircraft are now at LHR.

The ones which haven't transferred across to the BA AOC are waiting outside the hangars at LHR whilst they try and rush them through. Transferring AOC is not just paperwork. It also involves fitting the aircraft with BA SEP equipment and the like. Usually the process takes 2-3 days per aircraft. Once the aircraft have transferred across, they will be released for line flights for BA. There is a complex schedule for getting the interiors changed and the aircraft repainted into BA Union livery.

The A321's take a while as the cabin upgrade takes about 5 weeks as new lie-flat seats and IFE are being installed as part of the new BA mid-haul product. This is part of the reason why Cairo is only moving to T1 and A321 ops in January as a substantial proportion of the ex-bmi A321's will be offline for cabin fitting or painting until the end of December.

So far, about 75% of the fleet has already been integrated into BA. G-MIDX (Star Alliance jet) is currently in the paint bay having her BA spray. G-DBCA is having her interior stripped of anything related to Lufthansa and being configured into BA configuration like her sister A319's as well as being transferred across to the BA AOC.

The last aircraft will be fully integrated into BA (cabin refresh, AOC, paint all completed) on 31st December when G-MEDG rolls out of Iberia's paint hangar in Madrid.

Champ

vctenderness
30th Oct 2012, 10:21
Interestingly GMEDG will actually be going back to BA livery as it must have been one of British Med's aircraft operated as BA prior to being flogged off!

Skipness One Echo
30th Oct 2012, 13:04
Anything short of G-MEDN was previously operated on the BA franchise by BMED. The more things change....

ematom1
30th Oct 2012, 15:22
Apparently there a BMI A321 left at EMA in the hangar, will be departing at 9:30 with a flypast and then will fly over to heathrow? anyone confirm this?

EastMids
30th Oct 2012, 16:22
Airbus A321-231 - Large Preview - AirTeamImages.com (http://www.airteamimages.com/airbus-a321_G-MEDL_british-airways_163421_large.html)

Sorry, but as a former long-term Midland employee I think that Airbus paint job is just wrong - and sad - on so many levels! :(

champair79
31st Oct 2012, 09:20
Could be true. Will be G-MEDG leaving today with a nice new cabin installed but still in bmi livery.

champair79
31st Oct 2012, 09:23
EastMids - fear not. It will be rectified shortly. Time in the hangar was limited so this short term solution was used. I don't think it's right at all but it's 'unusual' and I like it.

Champ

ETOPS
31st Oct 2012, 13:26
It will be rectified shortly.

But in the wrong direction for EastMids ..:rolleyes:

TCX69
31st Oct 2012, 14:14
Here's G-WWBD taxying out for departure to BGR :{

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh498/TCX69K/5A4910E9-0AAF-4385-989A-85F9945DA166-2193-00000118A1BC2619.jpg

Surreyman
31st Oct 2012, 16:15
Anyone know what's going to happen to the BMI Hangar at LHR?
Ditto EMA?

jedigtr
31st Oct 2012, 16:20
There's no final decision on the bmi hangar (now known as TBD) but they are in the process of putting up the BA logo. It will probably continue to be used up until Christmas and then might be closed down and used as a casualty hangar.

No idea about the EMA hangar.

TCX69
31st Oct 2012, 16:22
Anyone know what's going to happen to the bmi Hangar at LHR?

BA will take over the operation of the LHR hangar. The bmi branding has already started to be taken down & BA branding will be put up in it's place. It will also, quite appropriately, be named as 'TBD'.

NutLoose
31st Oct 2012, 21:53
Last BMI Airbus departure from EMA in full livery, had a water arch see off

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/BMI/th_IMG_0086.jpg (http://s536.photobucket.com/albums/ff321/taylortony/BMI/?action=view&current=IMG_0086.mp4)

DaveReidUK
31st Oct 2012, 22:29
BA will take over the operation of the LHR hangar. The bmi branding has already started to be taken down & BA branding will be put up in it's place. It will also, quite appropriately, be named as 'TBD'.

That's a nice touch.

The original T(echnical) B(lock) D, pulled down a few years ago, was the hangar block housing Bays 11-20, and many workshops, on the BEA Engineering (West) Base.

OntimeexceptACARS
2nd Nov 2012, 15:28
Just saw a report that this 2001 built A330 is for the chop. You'd think it was still viable as an airframe rather than parts, given the (imagined) demand for the type. I know parts prices, blah blah, but a sad and premature end.

NutLoose
3rd Nov 2012, 21:03
And it's just had a big check done

Mr A Tis
5th Nov 2012, 08:21
Very surprised such a young machine is for the chop, can't have that many hours / cycles for her age.
As she has just had a major check done on her, one can only speculate that there must have been some underlying problem with her -too expensive to rectify ( ?)
Shame, as I enjoyed flying on her when she was based at MAN.

Sonic Bam
5th Nov 2012, 17:57
Absolutely nothing wrong with the aircraft. The lessor wants to break it for spares. Up to them.

tubby linton
7th Nov 2012, 20:19
Where has it gone to be cut up? I heard that another one BM has gone as well.

jethro15
8th Nov 2012, 09:07
G-WWBD to Sanford 31 Oct to be parted out
G-WWBM to Victorville 07 Nov for storage

jethro's UK and Ireland Airline Fleet Listings (http://www.jethros.org.uk)

RoyHudd
8th Nov 2012, 09:17
Some companies did put in bids for these relatively recent aircraft, but they were too low. Now one is to be broken up. What a wast of resources! Environmentally criminal.

Skipness One Echo
8th Nov 2012, 10:59
I agree, however I think it's more of a recycling job as much of it will be re-used. Very odd given new A330-243s with RR Trents are very much in demand.

EastMids
9th Nov 2012, 00:31
Just happened to see A330 G-WWBM land at Victorville a few hours ago... Very sad... I watched it land at East Midlands on its delivery flight from Toulouse more than yen years ago and now I've seen it land on its last "bmi" flight too... I flew on it MAN-ORD and MAN-IAD a number of times... End of an era, and particularly sad as I used to work for BM...

Andy

(I'll post a pic of it at Victorville when I get home next week)

Bearcat
17th Feb 2013, 12:50
Last week she did Victorville-Honolulu - Manila .

Flies well....at least it didn't get the chop and has found a new home.

cornishsimon
17th Feb 2013, 23:12
WWBM is off to Thomas cook for winter 13 isnt it ?

cs

MKY661
18th Feb 2013, 13:38
Yes it is :)

flowerpot1
15th Mar 2013, 20:20
to Norton Motorbikes

Norton Motorcycles Acquires Donington Hall | Norton Motorcycles (http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/news/norton-motorcycles-acquires-donington-hall/)

Akrotiri bad boy
14th Aug 2013, 09:00
I'm planning a trip for Mrs BB which, at the moment, relies on a BMI flight ex MXP. I have two questions concerning BMI Regional:

1 Will they still be around next summer season?
2 When can I expect routes/fares to be published?

I appreciate the limited vis that crystal balls offer but look forward to any answers.

Thanks in anticipation

Akro

davidjohnson6
14th Aug 2013, 10:59
Akrotiri - as with any company, airline or otherwise, the cheapest way to credit check a company is to look at their audited accounts. You may wish to look at the website of Companies House to download a copy of the company you are interested in
Alternatively the CAA website may have abbreviated accounts