PDA

View Full Version : L.A.P. vs Heathrow

A30yoyo
4th Nov 2011, 10:10
One for HD and perhaps it should be in History/Nostalgia. Did the controllers at 'London's main airport' use the term London Tower or Heathrow Tower talking to aircraft back in the Fifties before the name change from London Airport to London Heathrow?

Minesthechevy
4th Nov 2011, 10:47
Neither - the folk at 'London's main airport' used the word 'Croydon'.;)

But seriously, Im sorry that I don't know the answer you seek.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Nov 2011, 11:26
It changed in the 70s. It was still London Ground/ Tower/ Approach/ Director when I started. It changed when somewhere called Gitwack suddenly became London'd #2 airport.... Bizarre.

chevvron
4th Nov 2011, 11:29
S'funny; every time I phone them they answer 'Luton'.

A30yoyo
4th Nov 2011, 14:23
HD... over on abix we've nailed down the date for the official name change from London Airport (L.A.P) to London Heathrow Airport as between 1January and 1April 1961 with a corresponding change from Gatwick Airport to London Gatwick Airport. The codes changed from LON to LHR and GWK to LGW by March 1963 apparently. So presumably the Tower switched from being 'London' to 'Heathrow' on the official date? Would there have been any confusion between the Tower name and the Area name back then?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Nov 2011, 15:22
All I can tell you is that I started at LAP in November, 1972 and the R/T callsigns were "London xxx" then and for sometime after. The precise date of change I cannot recall. If you mean confusion between London Tower and London Airways/ Radar, I recall none. I recall an Aer Lingus pilot who always used to call us "Tower of London".

Talkdownman
5th Nov 2011, 21:42
I recall an Aer Lingus pilot who always used to call us "Tower of London".
Ah, so that's why you came to work dressed as a Beefeater...

Heathrow was 'London Approach' etc. at the same time that Gatwick was 'Gatwick' etc. for a period. 'Heathrow' came later. Can't remember when, I haven't had my medicine today...

vintage ATCO
5th Nov 2011, 21:50
Wasn't Heathrow Radar the forerunner of London Mil?

Talkdownman
5th Nov 2011, 22:03
Spot on. Located at SATCC, Block 1, Heathrow Northside. Type 7 and Type 14 'nodding dog'.

chiglet
5th Nov 2011, 23:31
Type 7 and Type 14 'nodding dog'.

Surely it was a Type 13 [Type14 rotated 90 degrees]?????

Bern Oulli
8th Nov 2011, 13:23
Type 14 surely rotated 360 degrees? Details here. (http://www.radarpages.co.uk/mob/rotor/type14.htm)

Bern Oulli
8th Nov 2011, 13:41
Sorry, penny has just dropped. Type 14 tilted on side = Type 13. Just as well for the travelling public that I am retired!