PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining residency in US /AUS / NZ / CAN prior to becoming an ATCO.

bigbillbeak
4th Nov 2011, 09:35
I work in the UK as an ATCO, and have for 10 + years, thing is, I'm pretty much tied to my present unit, just being approach rated, the unit;s shore (Which isn't eh?) and movement within the company isn't what it was anyway. My partner worked in the NHS prior to starting a family, and there is a possibility that her qualifications would see us accepted for residency. I'm guessing that this would be one way to sort out a move, but it's a big risk, moving without an offer of employment for me...

Any other ideas?

eastern wiseguy
4th Nov 2011, 09:55
As far as the US is concerned they will ONLY accept US citizens as controllers.

I am married to an American and when we retire there I will have 5 years before I can become an American citizen(should I choose to do so).

I respectfully suggest that you try somewhere else.:)

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Nov 2011, 10:02
My choice out of that lot would be NZ, followed by Oz, because we love the South Pacific but others may have other opinions. Whether you could accrue enough points for NZ depends on their recruitment situation. If they're recruiting they'd welcome you with open arms; if not, the door is shut! Presumably you have visited all the countries in question so have your own ideas?

Good luck - take it if you can; you may only get one chance to live in Paradise.

On the beach
4th Nov 2011, 11:13
Hi Bigbillbeak,

Have a look at this link.

Australia Immigration | Australia Visas | Australian Skilled Migration Occupations List (http://www.workpermit.com/australia/skilled/occupation_list.htm)

It lists all the occupations that Oz is short of at present. There are quite a few in the "Healthcare and medical industry" category towards the bottom of the page. I don't know if any of those would apply to your partner. ATC doesn't appear on the list, but you can always e-mail Air Services Australia with your CV and see what the response is.

Air traffic controller | Airservices (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/careers/air-traffic-controller/)

I migrated to Oz back in the early 70's to become an ATCO. Mind you they were desperate for controllers back then (must have been to take me with no ATC experience :E). We went out initially regarding it as a 2 year working holiday, but ended up staying for 9 years (those damn shackles take a long time to saw off :E).

An experience not to be missed.

Good luck with wherever you decide on. :ok:

On the beach

zkjaws
4th Nov 2011, 23:13
Sounds like there is no room in NZ - even Kiwi controllers returning from their OE can't get a job there.

Married a Canadian
5th Nov 2011, 01:12
Canada....not recruiting foreign controllers at the moment.

Blockla
5th Nov 2011, 17:29
At the moment to be employed by Airservices as a controller you need to be eligible for permanent residency; before being offered work. It's not on the skilled migration list for supported visa's. A few years (maybe 4 years ago) ago a handful of controllers were recruited directly from various locations including South Africa, UK, Sweden, Denmark and possibly some others (without the residency requirements) but that's not happening now. It was essentially stopped due to politics.

BeT
6th Nov 2011, 08:37
Canadians definitely not recruiting....

I tried to get in touch with them a few months ago and they weren't even bothered to send a reply.