PDA

View Full Version : Substandard quality of jet fuel

joflin
3rd Nov 2011, 12:39
As I read in international news, there's been a major disruption in an eastern EU-capital of fuel supply. Has anyone more information ?, or seen anything such recently / elsewhere ?

bbn.ee - Flights in Tallinn Airport disrupted by fuel crisis (http://www.bbn.ee/Print.aspx?PublicationId=cdeddb44-69bc-41c0-aa7f-48e5c117a14f)

I remember back when the wall had just come down, working Stockholm airport's line maintenance. Every now and then, some Baltic airlines would fly in using TU-134:aircrafts and not uplifting any JET-A1. The smell & "black cloud" they then left behind after take-off eastwards again, left environmental concerns to even my young eyes in 1993. I'd assume they first flew westwards unnecessarily heavy, and then had combustion-problems or some other kerosene-standard than JET-A1 in their tanks at that decade.

mark40
3rd Nov 2011, 13:17
Thank you

Good post

Dan Winterland
4th Nov 2011, 00:57
''or some other kerosene-standard than JET-A1 in their tanks at that decade'''

At that time, most Russian airports would have been supplying RT1 fuel which is very similar to Jet A, but has a lower freezing point. It's still widely used in the CIS states and China. The smokey engines are probably more to do with the engine's design rather than the fuel.