PDA

View Full Version : Air Australia!

Pages : [1] 2

Bear Grylls
2nd Nov 2011, 10:27
Fresh photo, hot off the press. The new Strategic branding, which is having its launch tomorrow.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2mra7ie.jpg

How long will this one last...

jas24zzk
2nd Nov 2011, 10:37
This Help????

AFP: Budget 'Air Australia' to fly after Qantas chaos (http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iUrz0l8b3KF6SEVekbtBJVE9Kbrg?docId=CNG.b8acfbc8dffcbd3 40e12dc8e0f2b4923.1f1)

Wizofoz
2nd Nov 2011, 10:51
Wish them the best of luck, BUT......

Do we REALLY need ANOTHER LCC??

Lasiorhinus
2nd Nov 2011, 10:55
New paint scheme?

I liked the old one...

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/0/9/0781903.jpg

Slippery_Pete
2nd Nov 2011, 11:17
But Lasiorhinus, the most important question... does the Airbus have the signature matress down the back?

Xcel
3rd Nov 2011, 01:57
Hahaha and the curtains slightly opened! :yuk:

TBM-Legend
3rd Nov 2011, 02:14
....and they do their heavy maintenance overseas! Can't be Australian.....

bankrunner
3rd Nov 2011, 03:43
Makes me think of Air America. Doubt the flying would be as interesting though :E

ANCDU
3rd Nov 2011, 05:19
Crikey! Launching a "new" airline when one of the biggest price wars between airlines is about to start. Gutsy move.

Busboy92
3rd Nov 2011, 07:13
Interesting....

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/australia-gets-a-new-budget-airline-20111103-1mwm5.html (http://www.theage.com.au/travel/travel-news/australia-gets-a-new-budget-airline-20111103-1mwm5.html)

1a sound asleep
3rd Nov 2011, 07:41
The start-up again came under the spotlight this week after the release of accounts showing its losses widened from $2.1m in 2008-09 to:uhoh: $9.3m last financial year and that it was cashflow positive only because of a $6m loan from the charter business.

The accounts, which also identified an $11.4m net asset deficiency, were accompanied by an auditor's warning of "material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt about the company's ability to continue as a going concern".

| The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/strategic-airlines-looks-beyond-90m-contract-loss-the-airlines-founder-is-predicting-a-small-profit-this-year/story-e6frg95x-1226023451821)

YPJT
3rd Nov 2011, 07:48
I wonder if Chuckie did a deal on the name rights?

1a sound asleep
3rd Nov 2011, 07:49
There only hope is a buyout by somebody with more money

Artificial Horizon
3rd Nov 2011, 07:50
Not gutsy, stupid. Why take a moderately well performing charter business and saddle that with a tiny 'low cost' start up in a market that is already saturated with airlines that have very very deep pockets.

sagan
3rd Nov 2011, 08:25
New scheme keeps reminding me of the Woolworths logo.... Must buy spuds.

At least it is not red.

jas24zzk
3rd Nov 2011, 09:04
Maybe they ARE being underwritten by Woolies :ugh:

you'll be buying new cars at the same time as your bag of spuds next.

Mr.Buzzy
3rd Nov 2011, 09:05
White with an accent.......green.....hmmmmm

Bbbbbbbzbzbzbzzzzzzz

mikk_13
3rd Nov 2011, 09:34
Strategic need to be start australian charter. Pay a certain amount and get everything included. European style. might be a hit.

PPRuNeUser0161
3rd Nov 2011, 10:08
I heard Branson is somehow backing it???? Got this from a travel company manager in Thailand.

SN

1a sound asleep
3rd Nov 2011, 10:14
I heard Branson is somehow backing it???? Got this from a travel company manager in Thailand.

The only reason that could wildly be possible is for the AOC and for Virgin to start a low cost carrier now that Virgin is moving up market:confused:

But I really think SRB has enough on his plate with VS

AN1944
3rd Nov 2011, 10:17
A low cost virgin ! Hope they have regular checks i wish them well ;)

PPRuNeUser0161
3rd Nov 2011, 10:29
1a
That's what I was thinking??? Its hard to do both at once and really no one has done it yet.

SN

GAFA
3rd Nov 2011, 10:35
Doubt Branson would be backing it, he learnt his lesson about buying an established airline and said he would never do it again. His reasons were they come with to much baggage and is far easier to start from scratch.

They don't need another AOC, they already have 2 (Virgin Australia and V Australia). If they want to start a new low cost carrier they could use V's once the group's have mergered.

antheads
3rd Nov 2011, 12:33
I wish this family owned battler airline all the best, All the doomsayers who were glibly predicting bankrupcy when super payments where due have now choked on their toast. :D

Phuket Bali and Honololu flights are selling well, they need to increase yield tho, marketing of their business class is terrible. I wonder who their partner will be to onsell flights to mainland usa?

If the Qantas/Mas alliance does not go to plan, an air asia/air australia linkup does have a nice ring to it..

1a sound asleep
3rd Nov 2011, 13:17
antheads Marketing is their HUGE letdown. Their website is just horrible. I just looked and can booked BNE-HNL return for $888. Its easy to find a $500 HNL-LAX return flight. Thats under $1400 to LAX. They are so missing so many opportunities here. Classic case of charter operator not knowing how to run/sell an airline.

If they came out with a $1499 return to LAX with stop in both directions in HNL they could just be on a winner. I just dont think they know how to do it

Bear Grylls
3rd Nov 2011, 22:07
antheads Marketing is their HUGE letdown. Their website is just horrible. I just looked and can booked BNE-HNL return for $888. Its easy to find a $500 HNL-LAX return flight. Thats under $1400 to LAX. They are so missing so many opportunities here. Classic case of charter operator not knowing how to run/sell an airline.

If they came out with a $1499 return to LAX with stop in both directions in HNL they could just be on a winner. I just dont think they know how to do it. Amen!

Buster Hyman
4th Nov 2011, 01:10
Well, I worked with Michael James at Ansett & I found him to be a nice guy. Bit of an Aviation nut, but a lot of us are.:8

I wish them well. Anybody trying to create more aviation jobs in this market deserves some support. :ok:

antheads
5th Nov 2011, 13:26
Say "fare-well" to Strategic Airlines and "G'day" to Air Australia with these good-buy fares:

Brisbane - Bali: Economy from $249* & Business from $649*
Brisbane - Phuket: Economy from $329* & Business from $729*
Melbourne - Phuket: Economy from $329* & Business from $729*
Brisbane - Honolulu: Economy from $349* & Business from $749*
Melbourne - Honolulu: Economy from $349* & Business from $749*

*Subject to availability on selected flights only. Terms and conditions apply. Honolulu services commence 14th Dec 2011 and are subject to regulatory approval. On sale until 21 Nov 2011 or until sold out.

sic as bro, pretty damm close to air asia to bali n phuket with their sale fares.. i think AA(sic) has a bright future..

DeltaT
14th Nov 2011, 09:07
Is the ex Strategic/new Air Australia going to get a new website?

training wheels
14th Nov 2011, 13:32
I saw them taxi in at Bali on the weekend .. still using 'Strategic' as their callsign.. the new paint job looks great. Also on the apron were two freshly painted Virgin Australia 737s also looking great.

jackthelad
14th Nov 2011, 20:51
Here it is Air Australia - Home (http://www.airaustralia.com/)

BOBO THE CLOWN 23
15th Nov 2011, 01:25
I see they are starting bne-Mel next month. I guess thats a better run for a 320 than bne-Gladstone.

Fat Ops Controller
15th Nov 2011, 05:08
$69.00 BNE-MEL or vv, good for the XMAS/New Year Break

Eastwest Loco
15th Nov 2011, 11:22
ant

You need a travel professional.

Currently under $600 SYD or MEL return DPS on GA. Full service included and gentle on sporting equipment like grass filled bodyboard bags etc.

I however am very pleased to say I have a VC "plate" and a mate ex Korean Air who is with them in senior management. Great bloke looking forward to his tenure with a start-up. Wish I was there too.

If anyone here wishes to book VC flights for the next 3 months I will do it at face value and give 20% discount on insurance. That means full after hours service and no service fees. I want them to do well.

Bear - there is a cheaper 1 airline way to get to LAX. I would publish it here but that would further defuse my alleged reason for being. Mixing airlines is always a risk unless you intend to chuck a stopover in both directions.

I would love to know how they snagged Air Australia. That name was property of TAA (Australian National Airlines Commission) for years. Obviously lack of use allows such to lapse.

Love the colour scheme. A little bit of the Eeenie Weenie in there.

Go you good thing you.

Best all

EWL

jarden
18th Nov 2011, 14:10
This could have potential for Air Australia, as currently there is no BNE - Vietnam direct flights:
The application announced today to the International Air Services Commission for an allocation of four flights a week between Australia and Vietnam for Air Australia, formerly Strategic Airlines, is intriguing at number of levels.
Then there is the future shape of Air Australia to consider. The airline has now applied for or already been allocated more capacity to the US, China, Indonesia and Thailand than it can service with six A320s and one A330-200. It has indicated that it will obtain additional A330s, and it has been recruiting additional pilots, but details of those substantial investments to service the traffic rights granted or sought have not yet been announced.
In the case of Vietnam the Air Australia application says it wants to operate the four flights from any or all of the mainline cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth, starting in March next year, and reaching the full allocation by the end of February 2013. Air Australia additionally requests an allocation of capacity from smaller Australian ports, which of course could mean Darwin, Cairns, the Gold Coast, Canberra and Adelaide, but that would mean even more A330s.
The services to Honolulu, and to destinations in China, are also due to begin next year.
The Air Australia application is just over one A4 page in size. It doesn’t need to be any longer because as a wholly owned Australian carrier, already flying abroad, it is automatically a flag carrier, and eligible for any unused or otherwise available allocations that are provided for by the various open skies or bilateral air traffic agreements Australia has made with other states.
It is a case of ask, get, and then find the money and equipment needed to fly

Jack Ranga
18th Nov 2011, 22:58
I've been banging' on about the shafting you get going to Vietnam for ages. If they get this route, they'll get custom from me for sure.

Melbourne-Darwin (insert bullsh!t 4 or 5 hour stopover)-Vietnam on the supposed flag carrier.

Good luck to them!

Bear Grylls
19th Nov 2011, 14:06
Is it me or does it seem they're lacking a bit of advertising? I've never seen an ad on telly, nor an advertisement in the Herald Sun.

Cargo744
20th Nov 2011, 06:56
Bear,

I have seen adverts on TV (mostly the digital channels) and heard adverts on radio (B105 from memory). These were as Strategic though. I haven't heard anything other than an interview on Today regarding Air Aus.

20th Nov 2011, 07:58
Good luck to Strategic-Air Aus, I hope they do well.
With the routes they are aiming at, I wouldn't be surprised to see them get involved with a large international player looking to get local access to Australian based international routes.

Heritage 1
21st Nov 2011, 07:49
Anyone know what the T&C's are for flight deck?

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
21st Nov 2011, 09:35
As for no ads - saw an ad for Air Australia on Channel 10 in MEL at 2104.

Not flash, not glitzy, not cheap. Just a no-nonsense, informative 30 seconds which I think, if repeated regularly, will get the brand into the heads of the average punters.

Go you good thing!!

aussie027
21st Nov 2011, 11:24
Heritage,
I dont know re T & C but they are hiring. As far as I can tell though only looking for Airbus endorsed drivers and their app form requires a list of aircraft flown over 40 tonnes.
so I guess that leaves most/all GA drivers out??

Anyone have any info to the contrary??

airdualbleedfault
22nd Nov 2011, 08:20
Aussie, I believe that is the case and prob will be until they run out of Airbus and/or jet > 40T applications. Unless of course you used to work for Ansett, but then you wouldn't be GA, but....oh bugger it :ugh:

ivan ellerbai
22nd Nov 2011, 08:50
Unless of course you used to work for Ansett, but then you wouldn't be GA,

Oh, I wouldn't be so sure ...............................

PoppaJo
22nd Nov 2011, 11:06
The majority they have/are hiring, are mainly Tiger guys considering most are heavily experienced plus have time on the big bus. Alot of the current VC pilot body and management are ex Tiger, so you would want to have a hell of alot of experience to get in if you dont know anyone. Some JQ guys there too.

It worries me that they are only a few weeks away from Hawaii yet the second A330 shows no signs of coming...

dodgybrothers
22nd Nov 2011, 12:55
maybe they're missing 1 vital ingredient for the new 330....

aussie027
23rd Nov 2011, 03:51
Thanks, for the info guys, I figured as much.
I cannot even get an interview for a job flying a kite at the moment let alone a jet over 40 tonnes so I will cross them off my list. :(

witwiw
1st Dec 2011, 23:10
Had an interesting email passed on from a Travel Agent regarding the suspension of an airline's insolvency insurance. Doesn't sound good.

#####-#### Travel Advice Announcement:
Cover withdrawn - ######### ######## t/a ### #########
Overnight the re-insurer of our Travel Services Provider Insolvency benefit – IPP London, has advised that it is currently conducting a financial review of “######### ######## t/a ### #########” and until their assessment is completed they feel it is prudent to temporarily withdraw cover for this airline.

An official advice will be available as soon as possible but seeing you may be booking with this airline today, please inform customers that Options and Travelsure policies will not cover this airline under the Section 1 benefit – Travel Services Provider Insolvency.

the_company_spy
1st Dec 2011, 23:34
Not the new air aussie?

Packvalve
2nd Dec 2011, 00:03
It seems so.

here's the link Airline News about Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI) products for the Travel Industry | IPP - International Passenger Protection (http://www.ipplondon.co.uk/airline-news.asp)

Jabawocky
2nd Dec 2011, 00:10
Soooooooooo.............................

You pay butt loads for insurance, and the very minute they think you might need it, they cancel it. :=

Do they offer you a refund for all the insurance they charged you for and never used?

What a crock and fraud.

zanzibar
2nd Dec 2011, 02:13
And if they go under but you'd already bought your insurance before their cover was suspended (28/11, according to that link). Are you covered then?

vitamin B
2nd Dec 2011, 02:28
Perhaps the rumour refers to another AA airline which has filed for Chapter 11 protection??

zanzibar
2nd Dec 2011, 02:59
'fraid not, VB. I checked on that link first thing to clarify that. Here's the relevant excerpt:-

Airlines currently excluded from cover:
* Please note cover excludes any airline where there is a threat of, or has filed
or applied for any form of insolvency or insolvency protection at the time
of effecting cover or issuance of the air ticket

STRATEGIC AIRLINES PTY t/a AIR AUSTRALIA AIRWAYS
UNDER FINANCIAL REVIEW - as of 28 November 2011

Rudder
2nd Dec 2011, 06:46
The only thing surprising here is that this is surprising.

jackthelad
2nd Dec 2011, 10:22
Found this link on Crikey.com
Air Australia acts to overcome insolvency insurance scare | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/12/02/insurer-withdraws-air-australia-insolvency-cover/)

gobbledock
2nd Dec 2011, 10:58
I heard a rumor today from a reliable source who is a gentleman and non vindictive individual that the airline in question has enough jam in the jam jar to feed them until the end of February.

ivan ellerbai
2nd Dec 2011, 14:26
Of course you'd expect SA to answer as they have in the link in jackthelad's post.

Methinks there's no smoke without fire .........................

antheads
2nd Dec 2011, 14:58
I think ILFC would do due dilegence before throwing airplanes at them. The a330-200 is in high demand. Or perhaps they missed the experts on this thread :rolleyes:

The claim of profit is interesting, if true a welcome suprise. They have had near 100% loads over the holiday period to bali from what i have heard. Yields would be the concern.

The airline has finalised lease agreements with International Lease owFinance Corporation ILFC to take delivery of an initial two Airbus A330-200 aircraft. It will also reposition two of its 180 seat Airbus A320 aircraft from its European charter operation to Australia. The first of the aircraft arrives next month.

"Our team at Air Australia is doing an outstanding job and with the strong support of our travel industry partners we are currently tracking ahead of forecast and expect an operating profit this financial year," he said.

PoppaJo
2nd Dec 2011, 19:39
Honolulu services commence in just over a week. The second A330 isnt even in the country yet...nor registered..:eek:

Ozdork
2nd Dec 2011, 23:08
Apparently it isn't going onto the register; ACMI charter, flown by Turks.

Arnold E
3rd Dec 2011, 00:16
ACMI charter, flown by Turks.

Air Australia, ha,good name for it then.:ugh:

1a sound asleep
4th Dec 2011, 13:51
Apparently it isn't going onto the register; ACMI charter, flown by Turks.

This should be illegal on a number of grounds. False advertising and misleading conduct come up as #1

PatTheDog
5th Dec 2011, 10:57
Does anybody have any interview dates yet???

Rudder
6th Dec 2011, 02:51
Anthead,

Someone better tell ILFC that they have done that deal as they certainly don't have it on their website.

If there is any truth in the posts above it would also seem to indicate that there is no deal with ILFC.

I'm with 1a on this. Will be interesting to see if CASA and DOTAR's have the backbone to do something about it if its is true.

None of it makes any sense but sure hope it works out OK for all the staffs sake.

Anthill
6th Dec 2011, 06:52
Is 'God' Watson, Willie O'Neill and David Blake still associated with this crowd?

jarden
6th Dec 2011, 16:31
http://www.aviationrecord.com/FC/FCn...anes-3388.aspx"
Our team at Air Australia is doing an outstanding job and with the strong support of our travel industry partners we are currently tracking ahead of forecast and expect an operating profit this financial year," he said.

Anthill
6th Dec 2011, 21:10
I recall similar words at Ansett about 6 days before the music stopped.

stevenpat72
8th Dec 2011, 03:00
They don't need a second A330 to start the Honolulu route. They will be using their existing A330 that they currently use on their Phuket route and the Phuket route will change to a A320.

porch monkey
8th Dec 2011, 03:13
Really? Where will the tech stop be?:hmm:

Rudder
8th Dec 2011, 05:08
That may be the case but it is very different from their stated position of additional A330's and is a bandaid.

stevenpat72
8th Dec 2011, 05:33
Air Australia are saying their second A330 arrives on the 13th of December.

PoppaJo
8th Dec 2011, 05:57
Where is it coming from?

Ozdork
8th Dec 2011, 06:17
Where is it coming from?
Turkey. Initially on ACMI charter, to take over the Phuket route, so their own one can start HNL. Eventually the Turks hand the plane back to ILFC and then, only then, do Air Oz take over the driving.

dmussen
9th Dec 2011, 06:09
Me thinks Chuckie is "Air Australia International".

down3gr33ns
11th Dec 2011, 08:55
From a mate today, none too flash if as described ....................

“Air Australia / Strategic Airlines.....WARNING”

Just warning others about the complete lack of service that you can expect to receive if you are planning to fly with Air Australia. We (wife & I) flew Brisbane (wlmailhtml:{410D74D2-FAA0-4779-B738-47B06989D9A1}mid://00000000/!x-usc:http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Tourism-g255068-Brisbane_Queensland-Vacations.html) to Bali in November and booked prior to the cut off date to ensure we received free entertainment, food and drinks included in the price. We paid full price for our tickets (not on sale). The only drink we were offered during entire trip was when lunch was served. Each time we pressed button for service we were either ignored or told they would bring us a drink "later". The only beer I was served during entire 6.5 hour trip was about 2 minutes before they announced bar service was closed prior to landing in Bali. My wife was told "sorry no wine left". So in 6.5 hour flight the only drink she was given was half a glass of pineapple juice when lunch was served about an hour into trip. All other requests for drinks were denied. The entertainment was a communal screen which hung about 6 rows in front which played "The Blind Side" which we've both seen and had no desire to watch again. To make matters worse no headphones were required! You had to listed to it blaring out which is quite annoying when you are trying to read. The Flight Attendants were rude and unfriendly. Part way during flight a fellow passenger sitting in row behind us asked when we would be issued with the incoming passenger card that was required to be completed for immigration. The flight attendant said that they don't issue them on Strategic flights. The fellow passenger said he flew with strategic to Bali in August and it was issued on board last time. To cut a long story short, upon arrival in Bali we waited approx 45 minutes in queue to get to immigration officer to be asked where our immigration card was. The immigration officer said it should have been issued on board prior to arrival! We were sent to back of room to obtain immigration card and had to queue up again. Not happy! There was also a 45 minute stopover in Darwin which we were not informed of either at time of booking, We sent an e-mail to Air Australia informing them of our experience and had absolutely no response. Never again will we fly with Air Asutralia. Terrible, terrible, terrible!

chuboy
11th Dec 2011, 14:10
Jeez, sure is a lot of pessimism in this forum!

AnQrKa
11th Dec 2011, 14:29
http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/471438-foreign-pilots-warn-about-turkish-airline-danish-news-paper-politikken.html

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
12th Dec 2011, 07:32
I couldn't help myself - after reading the dribble that '3Greens' mate wrote, I felt the overwhelming need to respond.

Firstly, the whole thing sounds completely unbelievable; an unreasonable behavior by cabin-crew if true - and I think it's fictional/delusional ranting at it's best (or worse depending on viewpoint).

If I could be bothered, I'm sure I could find similar muck having been written about Jetstar, Virgin and Tiger from time to time.

Usually it's written by those who surf the net looking to pay a rock-bottom price, while demanding rock-star treatment: you know the kind..."I paid my $199 fare, that entitles me to a board position!"

I'll be particularly generous and won't even begin to talk about the quality of the writing...

What it sounds like to me ("...sorry, no beer...sorry, no wine...") is that 'mate' and 'mate's' missus got into the 'holiday spirit' well before the flight got under way, and the CC were not willing to encourage any further 'holiday spirit' until certain that things were not going to get untidy enroute.

I don't work for Air Australia, but I'm sure that they'd be as happy as 'mate' that 'mate' won't be flying with them again.

Until of course he starts to troll the net for the next bargain flight...

zanzibar
12th Dec 2011, 07:48
he starts to troll the net for the next bargain flight...

What part didn't you read RAL, this part?

We paid full price for our tickets (not on sale).

Rudder
12th Dec 2011, 08:06
Should it make any difference?

Why would you pay more than you have too?

Its the company and competition that is setting the prices in the market and if the flight is full service across all fares then they should be able to expect a reasonable service standard. That is the game.

Why would you act like the company is a charity and pay more unless of course it really is a basket case?

You can always have a bad Cabin crew day. I've had some doozies and most have been on QF. Next day they are all fantastic.

Going Nowhere
12th Dec 2011, 23:48
*Anorak on*

Jetspotter.com • View topic - Brisbane December Noteworthy Movements (http://www.jetspotter.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12863&start=15#p100013)

*Anorak off* :E

1a sound asleep
13th Dec 2011, 01:00
Photos: Airbus A330-223 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Saudi-Arabian-Airlines/Airbus-A330-223/1792198/L/&sid=bdb8003c138a0b645277ed1a623ece4e)

Welcome to Air Australia. Disgusted

chuboy
13th Dec 2011, 04:49
Lol, that livery will probably leave the punters scratching their heads :hmm:

DeltaT
13th Dec 2011, 10:04
Has anyone had a Pilot interview this Nov/Dec with Air Australia?

stevenpat72
13th Dec 2011, 13:08
It might look more like this.

Photos: Airbus A330-223 Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Atlasjet-Airlines/Airbus-A330-223/1964044/&sid=8ece6009540a46b3b6b7434267a61914)

edit: Here's the A330 in Brisbane.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/stevenpat72/IMGP9009.jpg

stevenpat72
14th Dec 2011, 11:44
First Air Australia flight bound for Honolulu left this afternoon from Brisbane, departed 35 min late at 6.35pm. Good to see the new route has started. :)

antheads
14th Dec 2011, 13:43
any idea of loads? Hopefully they will get some more press coverage if they gave lots of freebies out :D Wonder how long atlasjet will fly this before its returned to lessor and airaus take over.

zanzibar
14th Dec 2011, 22:37
When was the proving flight or doesn't CASA require them these days?

Or was yesterday's flight the proving flight with the usual array of hangers-on, travel writers etc - the freebies antheads speaks of?

Ozdork
15th Dec 2011, 07:08
More importantly, how did the Turks first flight to Phuket go?:confused:

stevenpat72
15th Dec 2011, 09:53
Here's the two A330s in Brisbane yesterday.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m253/stevenpat72/IMGP9011.jpg

down3gr33ns
18th Dec 2011, 23:42
Travel insurance issue with AA

Just got this, can anyone confirm?

"cover formally withdrawn and issued supplementary PDS revoking insolvency cover."

Must have found some issues during the review.

1a sound asleep
19th Dec 2011, 00:28
Airline News about Scheduled Airline Failure Insurance (SAFI) products for the Travel Industry | IPP - International Passenger Protection (http://www.ipplondon.co.uk/airline-news.asp)

Airlines currently excluded from cover:
* Please note cover excludes any airline where there is a threat of, or has filed
or applied for any form of insolvency or insolvency protection at the time
of effecting cover or issuance of the air ticket

STRATEGIC AIRLINES PTY t/a AIR AUSTRALIA AIRWAYS
UNDER FINANCIAL REVIEW - as of 28 November 2011

tourismman
19th Dec 2011, 00:40
Gosh this has already been brought up on page 3 of this same thread.

It is still being covered by Cover more.Clients are covered.Travel agents are still making bookings.This is old news.

Are you guys going to keep bringing up info every week as apart of a dirty tactics campaign.

1a sound asleep
19th Dec 2011, 00:57
Its simple they are UNDER FINANCIAL REVIEW. One Insurance company may cover them and another may not.

cyclone8888
19th Dec 2011, 01:10
Looks like I was given the same advice this morning.

In answer to your question tourisman the email I have specifically highlights that it is effective FROM the 21st of December not to, as such this doesn't appear to be old news as you have suggested.

This email I have details the supplementary PDS being that is being released effective for policies sold from 21st December withdrawing insolvency coverage.

The email does state that the review has been completed (as opposed to the advice that it was underway as previsouly posted on this thread) and that cover will not be provided for policies issued from the 21st of December.

I guess any decision by the insurer could be entirely without base, it is general insurance retail policy after all. In essence there are no real regulations on what they have to include or exclude, just that they have to advise specifically what they do and don't cover at the time of purchase. I assume that this information will be covered by the supplementary PDS being issued in conjunction with the standard PDS for the consumer to decide whether or not they want to purchase that policy.

It is a rumour network after all so believe what you want to believe.

witwiw
19th Dec 2011, 04:12
Does this excerpt look like it possibly came from the email you saw, cyclone?

"Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement

*Effective 21st December 2011*

In the coming days your support office will receive a package
including a new Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement (SPDS).
This is a one page flyer that will accompany your current PDS. This
SPDS relates to the withdrawal of insolvency cover for ********* ******** (trading as *** *********).

Why has the Supplementary PDS been issued?

After a review of ********* ******** our re-insurer has withdrawn
cover for the airline. This means there will be no Travel Services
Provider Insolvency cover for ********* ******** for policies issued
on or after 21st December."

Courtersy of my friendly travel agent contact.

A little different from your understandings, tourisman/1a sa.

tourismman
19th Dec 2011, 07:48
Air Australia announces BNE,MEL-SGN and BNE,MEL-SHA from June 2012.

http://www.travelweekly.com.au/getattachment/1817f49f-db4e-4010-9999-dbd5eacb6565/pdf.aspx

As i said many times previously they are doing OK and they are covered for insurance. .
They are filling the gaps that our beloved Air Sydney doesn't.Yes remove the QANT and you end up with AS (Air Sydney)

jackthelad
19th Dec 2011, 08:07
Where has our Ozzie spirit gone, we should be getting right behind AA, you never know when your airline will close its doors and you might need somewhere to go.

From what Im told AA has great T&Cs and pay the crews rather well. I would see this as a bonus in todays aviation market as far as wages go. As least their not ripping off their crews and pay them what their worth.

Come on Australia give them a go. You never know when you might just need them.

PS: Ive just purchased tickets to Honolulu and Phuket and i can confirm they are well covered by insurance.

A37575
19th Dec 2011, 09:17
Talked to my next door neighbour this morning who had just arrived bleery-eyed on the Air Australia flight dct from Bangkok. Problem was the aircraft was a ex Turkish Airlines aircraft and the entertainment videos were still in Turkish so people were bored stiff. The passengers were informed of this problem at boarding. Something about a Honolulu aircraft not being available for the Bangkok - Melbourne flight.

Cactusjack
19th Dec 2011, 09:22
What, bored on a flight from Bangkok?? When the IFE fails - What ever happened to a game of 'hand puppets' under the blanket or under you and the little ladies coats???

Captain Gidday
19th Dec 2011, 14:49
What was the movie? Gallipoli? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_%281981_film%29) :)

Rudder
19th Dec 2011, 22:44
Unfortunately its only a matter of time for AA. You will find that all the insurers will ditch them. There is no way one is going to stay in the game when another has assessed them as unworthy of insurance. How does that work for anyone when/if it all goes to crap. There would not be enough money in it as they are so small a player to take that risk.

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
19th Dec 2011, 23:04
As Air Australia doesn't fly to Bangkok, I have to wonder which airline it was that the passengers were bored on...

The amount of unqualified bulltish that sprouts from this website (some of it most certainly vindictive) makes me very comfortable that the insolvency insurance issue is, in fact, a non-issue.

Only a few years ago, there would have been universal support for Air Australia from all the wannabies on this forum. Now look - typical ozzie tall-poppy lopping!

Pathetic!

Captain Gidday
20th Dec 2011, 02:08
Air Australia does fly from Phuket to Melbourne a couple of times a week, so at this stage we'd have to say this turkish rumour might have some truth to it. Can't completely rule it out, anyway.

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
20th Dec 2011, 03:12
Indeed Capt Gday - that was the origin of my frustration; I'm sure that there may have been an IFE issue, but it would be nice to add cred to the rumour by being more accurate with the (basic) details, such as where the aircraft departed from.

When scribes can't even get that right, then I start to doubt the other stuff that they write.

darragh
20th Dec 2011, 04:31
I have flown them several times to phuket and have found them to be most reasonable to fly with.
Nice staff. Comfortable aircraft. Good service.
Only problems have been they are consistently late.

antheads
20th Dec 2011, 05:48
Looks like another 330 in march, hopefully dry leased. Vietnam route will be a good revenue stream for them. As is using the allegiant model to sell package holidays.

Air Australia will start three times weekly services to Shanghai and Ho Chi Minh from Melbourne and Brisbane in June 2012 pending regulatory approval, the carrier has confirmed.

It marks the latest expansion for the fledgling airline which last week began service to Hawaii from the Victorian and Queensland state capitals.
It's one of the big risks.

The carrier will also launch Air Australia Holidays next year with product sourced from wholesalers and sold online through its website.

“China is more of a package market – more so than Phuket and Bali,” said chief executive and founder Michael James. “The way that accommodation is structured in Hawaii also makes it a much bigger package market.” James said the airline’s Australian credentials will make it an appealing option for wholesalers.

“If I was an Australian doing a Helen Wong’s tour, I’d rather an Australian airline,” he said. While James claimed the airline now had outbound distribution “down pat”, the task of distribution in China would be a challenge.

"It's one of the big risks. If we don't get distribution right in
the Chinese market, it could all go pear-shaped," he said, adding that the airline would enlist government support to help them “do it right”.
Meanwhile, he claimed that load factors for its Honolulu services, which took to the skies last week, were averaging 92%.
“For such a young start-up to have such high loads shows that we are doing the right things,” he said.

The airline will increase frequencies to Honolulu and Phuket from March 25 to three weekly services from both Melbourne and Brisbane.

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Dec 2011, 12:40
So. How do you make a million bucks in aviation.......?

Bbbzbzbzbzbzb

sb_sfo
22nd Dec 2011, 14:22
Easy, start with 100 million...

stevenpat72
22nd Dec 2011, 14:35
They're now having talks with Flight Centre over the insurance issues. Hope they can sort it out.

Cookies must be enabled | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/air-australia-flight-centre-locked-in-insurance-dispute/story-fn91v9q3-1226228856388)

And this

Air Australia hikes commission as Flight Centre row continues | Travel Weekly (http://www.travelweekly.com.au/news/air-australia-hikes-commission-as-flight-centre-fe)

Busboy92
22nd Dec 2011, 21:50
I've pulled my application..... even Tiger is a safer bet now I reckon. Staying where I am, just cant risk it.

I reckon insurance might be the least of there worries. :sad:

Icarus2001
23rd Dec 2011, 00:17
So. How do you make a million bucks in aviation.......?
Easy, start with 100 million...

Preferably someone elses 100 million. OPM.:bored:

Worrals in the wilds
23rd Dec 2011, 00:19
So. How do you make a million bucks in aviation.......? Easy, start with 100 million... Preferably someone elses 100 million. OPM.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wbored.gif
And don't pay any bills. That's just a waste of the 100 million. :E
Which is not a dig at Strategic/Air Australia, but at a few smaller airlines who are no longer with us, although the bills remain. :sad:

Ozdork
23rd Dec 2011, 00:43
I hear it is not just their insolvency insurance that is at issue. Seems there is also a not so inginificant ammount owing on their airframe insurance that has upset the lessors.

JMEN
23rd Dec 2011, 01:14
Ferk me,

Show some Christmas Cheer, well done AA, hope it lasts Ozland needs it!

Oz the land of the poppie cutter :ugh:.

Enjoy.

Jetstarpilot
23rd Dec 2011, 01:15
Let my puppets come (http://www.google.com.au/m/search?q=let+my+puppets+come&hl=en&client=safari&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Gs_zTs-OFsiXiAeFwpDLAQ&ved=0CEsQsAQ&biw=480&bih=268#i=7)

1a sound asleep
23rd Dec 2011, 02:13
https://secure.covermore.com.au/quote/View_Document.aspx?DocType=pds&DocName=PDS_CMT_CMAGENT_20101001.pdf
I went and read covermores policy and here's what I found. Wont cover Insolvency of a Travel Services Provider if at the Relevant Time,
the Travel Services Provider was Insolvent or a reasonable person
would have reason to expect the Travel Services Provider might
become Insolvent.Amendment of cover under Section 1
The Product Disclosure Statement is amended as follows:
Under Section 1:-
No cover is provided under Section 1 in respect of Strategic
Airlines Pty Ltd (trading as Air Australia Airways).
This Supplementary Product Disclosure Statement is issued by Great
Lakes Reinsurance (UK) PLC (ARBN 127 740 532, ABN 189 64 580
576, AFSL No. 318 603) trading as “Great Lakes Australia”.

Where there is smoke one assumes there is fire. AA needs to sort out this very smart or they are going to lose a lot of business. There has been a lot of secrecy about their financials and structure.. I would love to see them succeed, but its fine to be a private company but hiding behind the privacy of a non-reporting environment scares many.

Air Australia customers need certainty now
December 23, 2011 – 7:00 am, by Ben Sandilands
Air Australia under insolvency imsurance coud | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2011/12/23/air-australia-customers-need-certainty-now/)

The story broken here on 2 December about Air Australia losing its insolvency insurance cover is well and truly in the broader media today and consumers need very clear or very direct statements from the airline and Flight Centre, the travel retailer associated with Cover More Insurance, as to what is going on.

Flight Centre agents, and other retailers, are said to be asking potential buyers of Air Australia fares as part of their holiday arrangements to Thailand or Hawaii to sign product disclosure statements acknowledging that they do so knowing that the retailer’s insolvency insurance cover for the airline has been withdrawn or doesn’t apply.

That is a serious sales killer when it comes to sealing a purchase for a product that one of the most respected brands in travel retailing has otherwise seen fit to offer alongside a range of airline/holiday products from larger better known brands.

If Flight Centre has any doubts it is hard to understand why it has been offering the Air Australia product for weeks, and apparently, with great success.

Similarly, it may or may not be a situation in which the buyer then assumes all the risk that Cover More, associated with Flight Centre, declines to cover. That risk, whether the customers knows about it or not, may still have to carried by the retailer, and Flight Centre and Air Australia both need to make it crystal clear what happens to the customer’s money if the airline was to go out of business before the product is used.

Doubt in these matters can be near lethal to a new competitive offering in air travel.

It would be fair to say Air Australia faces challenges in launching itself on the market. However it has also chosen areas where the competition doesn’t offer matching air access or similar value. If Air Australia is working to a viable business model it has to be a good thing for consumers, and travel retailers, whom it now offers up to 7% in commission.

The withdrawal of insolvency insurance appears to be linked to the airline’s reluctance to email commercial-in-confidence details to the insurer or its underwriter.

Air Australia and Flight Centre are supposed to be in ‘discussions’ today aimed at resolving the issues. Whatever comes out of this needs to be relayed to consumers in the clearest of terms.

Busboy92
23rd Dec 2011, 02:27
Don't think there is much christmass cheer around there office and I reckon the poppy dosnt need cutting cause it has weak stems anyway and might just fall without being cut, cause I hear from a mate working there that the safety manager has gone (2nd in 6 months) and the COO has just walked. I even hear the nice flight admin guy, who was looking after my application stuff, is going too. Kinda glad I steered clear in the end.

THRidle
23rd Dec 2011, 06:01
Busboy92,
You sure you pulled your application from Air Aust ? := Just rang a mate of mine who is doing one stage of the recruiting and he said no one has pulled their bid. In fact, they have so many applications coming in he wished a few would.

PoppaJo
23rd Dec 2011, 06:18
No safety manager? Tiger didn't have one for what...3 years? :eek:

gobbledock
23rd Dec 2011, 06:34
I'm not totally familiar with the inner slings of AA but I have also been told that the COO has walked, Safety Manager has walked and Chief Pilot has gone?
Anyone know if there is truth in all this? If it is true then things are not looking good.

jack diamond
23rd Dec 2011, 11:26
Yes you are right, and apparently the wing came off of one of the aircraft and it crashed . The tea lady has also resigned apparently no teabags, who really gives a s@@# mate im sick and tired of all this crap yes it will fold and then who else can we start with, Is there ever anything positive in this forum?

HF3000
23rd Dec 2011, 12:49
Agreed. It really annoys me every time I read a Rumour Forum and people keep posting rumours all over it. ;)

A37575
23rd Dec 2011, 13:24
As Air Australia doesn't fly to Bangkok, I have to wonder which airline it was that the passengers were bored on...

The amount of unqualified bulltish that sprouts from this website

Quite right. Pilot error. Significant factors: Bleery eyed passenger meant to say Phuket.

Thats what she said
23rd Dec 2011, 23:42
Given the huge amount of QF related threads in this forum that have been locked, presumably for reasons around potential damage to QF, I would repectfully suggest that it may be just as timely to lock this thread. Mods, please consider this.

Regardless of any internal issues the airline is clearly getting on with the job and should not be threatened by any rumours (accurate or otherwise) that may do unneccesary harm.

1a sound asleep
23rd Dec 2011, 23:50
Dig your head in the sands. Some people in this industry deserve what gets dished up sometimes when they refuse to see and hear the facts going on around them.

Air Australia in dispute with Flight Centre and Cover More Travel Insurance| The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/companies/air-australia-flight-centre-locked-in-insurance-dispute/story-fn91v9q3-1226228856388)

FACT - The airline has refused to show financials (as Qantas or any other public airline would) and Australias largest Travel Insurere has declined cover.
FACT - The largest Travel Agent in Australia is effectively warning passengers about the risk of insolvency
FACT - IF you work for Air Australia you should go and knock on Sir Michael's door and tell him to get off his ass and sought it out

FACTS not RUMOURS

winglets747
25th Dec 2011, 00:43
This insurance issue has sprung up only as Flight Centre pushes for its agents to receive a higher commission. Yet there is no fight against JQ, who gives 0%. :(

The insurance provider has blocked JAL for 8 years, China Eastern (I think it was) is on the no go list as well, yet the provider says AA (who is closest to bankruptcy of them all) is safe on the list. Who sets the criteria?

For the majority of pax, if you pay with a credit card, standard credit card T&C should cover any loss if - if - anything happens.

Safety manager leaving...COO leaving...all rumours, and rumours likely started by the competition. Staff and management there couldn't be happier. Well, maybe they could be happier if they could get A330s faster. Sound like another recently re-branded airline?

Air Australia is forecasting a profit for the year.

prairiegirl
27th Dec 2011, 04:14
for pete's sake -

Rudder
27th Dec 2011, 07:52
Why don't you explain it PG. I'm interested to hear your theory on this as well.

1a is absolutely correct.

This is all of AA's doing and can be corrected by them providing the info requested. The FACTS as he has laid them out speak for themselves.

This is normal industry practice and has not been driven by Flight Centre but the insurers after the main underwriter queried AA's solvency. The other main underwriter just followed suite as you would expect.

Seems to me that this should be easily solved if you are in fact solvent. Who knows whether they are, but giving out of date accounts would tend to indicate that AA may not know either.

It is AA that is increasing commission to increase demand from all travel agents.

Now if it makes no difference whether you have this insurance as would be indicated by Winglets then all will be OK. However having it plastered all over the press will have all their creditors and banks now jumping on the bandwagon for confidence. This is going to become a major issue within this business.

And if the accounts are any good you shouldn't have to have them explained. That little cherry speaks for itself I would think. While I am not a lover of some of Ben Sandilands stuff on Crikey. He would appear to have it right this time. This is in AA's court. It is in their interest to get this fixed and fast.

As I have stated before none of AA makes any sense "TO ME" but hell there is lots I don't understand.

I hope they succeed but don't think they will.

Cargo744
27th Dec 2011, 08:23
Rudder

You are correct in what you say. And so so is 1a

1a sound asleep
27th Dec 2011, 09:55
I think people assume I want to see AA go broke. Nothing could be further from the truth BUT I am also business minded and realistic. For interest sake I just looked at BNE-MEL-BNE for the next 14 days.

Some of the cheapest flights are on Qantas, Tiger, Jetstar and Virgin. On a number of days AA is nearly double the cheapest Qantas fare. Qantas sale fares on the route are as low as $109 and $119. Why pick a route with already 4 competitors fighting it out??? Because somebody will accuse me of being wrong here are the screen shots and NO the AA planes are not full.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2u7r6l0.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/4u757r.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/wbykpz.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/34j3yv4.jpg

1a sound asleep
27th Dec 2011, 13:25
Just noticed Strategic VH-SSA A330 operating for Air Pacific tonight MEL-NAN tonight. Interesting as this is a QF code share flight as well. So pax on a QF ticket on a Strat A330:D

http://i44.tinypic.com/znq71v.jpg

Artificial Horizon
27th Dec 2011, 19:31
Yea but maybe all the cheap fares at AA have already been sold and it is only the more expensive fares available now.

chuboy
27th Dec 2011, 20:12
Also AA has said explicitly they have no intention of going head-to-head on MEL-BNE, they expect most of the traffic to be transferring passengers who want to avail of the convenience of only having to check bags in once. Something like 25% of the load they expect to be transferring pax.

ivan ellerbai
27th Dec 2011, 20:20
this is a QF code share flight as well

Interesting. Is AA a QF code share partner/operator? If not did the QF ticketed passengers travel because I had an experience where I was on a QF ticket but travelling on a code share partner. The partner airline had a break down and another carrier was substituted. This substitute carrier, however, was not a QF code share operator so we were told we could not travel unless we bought another ticket from the original code share partner.

apacau
27th Dec 2011, 20:30
Did this charter to FJ impact at all on VC's own scheduled services? I don't imagine their A330s have too much downtime.

If this charter did indeed delay one or more of their own services, it speaks volumes as to where the money is or isn't being made, especially at this peak time of year.

Torqueman
27th Dec 2011, 23:06
I can see some birds circling above, but when you look closely they are vultures waiting for them to breath their last breath.

tourismman
27th Dec 2011, 23:28
VH-SSA has downtime this week from 4PM mondays to Wednesday 6pm which fitted in nicely with the Fiji charters.

BOBO THE CLOWN 23
28th Dec 2011, 06:06
Not sure where u get your info from 1a sound a sleep, but the loads are very good on the AA flights. On average I would say they are 90% full.

1a sound asleep
28th Dec 2011, 06:49
Flights are full!

Well no the flights are not exactly all full. Some of their routes get fairly respectable loads. It's the BNE-MEL flights that worry me. There is a huge capacity between these 2 cities. Supply and demand - and at this time there is way more supply than demand. It is not enough to sell 100% of your discount tickets on a route. A low coast airline MUST sell a decent % of higher fares too to get close to just breaking even. For example, once they sell all there very cheapest seats their fares can become the same as other airlines, and I am sorry but 99% of people will fly Qantas for a similar pric. In the example I showed Qantas was actually cheaper for the same dates

sleeve of wizard
28th Dec 2011, 14:02
From The Australian

FORMER 1980s high-flyer Geoffrey Edelsten has emerged as a potential white knight for the troubled airline Air Australia.

The investment would be the latest in a string of purchases during a six-month spending spree that has so far yielded the entrepreneur and deregistered medico an Indonesian coalmine, 1200 US properties and a Caribbean casino.

Speaking to The Australian, Mr Edelsten said: "Some weeks ago I received an approach to look at investing in an airline, which I declined. They have since made a new approach and we will listen to what they say."

A spokesman for Air Australia said the owners were "open to the possibility of equity investment with the right partner . . . however, no commitments have been made".

Sources close to the deal say that discussions are under way to make Mr Edelsten's 28-year-old wife Brynne, a former fitness instructor, the face of the company.

"You really need to understand the business if you invest in an airline. Although I am a pilot, running a commercial airline would require a great deal of expertise to be successful," Mr Edelsten said.

"As an investment it's got to stand alone."

The deal would cement a lifelong interest in aviation for Mr Edelsten, who survived a helicopter crash at Melbourne's Moorabbin airport in December 2009.

Asked if his involvement would extend to flying, he said: "My wife won't let me. The closest I get to flying these days is with a remote control helicopter she bought me for Christmas."

Last week, The Australian uncovered a dispute between Air Australia and travel agents Flight Centre who were concerned about reports that underwriters would not provide the airline with insolvency insurance.

Formerly Strategic Airlines, Air Australia operates a limited service between a handful of Australian cities and some Southeast Asian holiday destinations. The airline was acquired by Strategic from aviation entrepreneur Paul Stoddart in July 2009 under the name OzJet.

Rudder
28th Dec 2011, 17:50
Says it all really. Anyone still think that it is not probably a basket case.

Edelesten would be seen as a last ditch investor that you troll around for when desperate. There is no natural linkage to this business. People with something to add and who could see the potential haven't seen any I would think.

They certianly don't need this sort of press. Anyone with concerns before would now be very worried.

Oh... Did someone mention vultures!!

gobbledock
28th Dec 2011, 20:55
R.I.P AA.
Not a good news report by any means. Regardless of people's personal feelings within this competitive industry there would be some stressed staff at AA about now, best of luck to you all over the coming months.

1a sound asleep
29th Dec 2011, 12:48
R.I.P AA.
Not a good news report

Obvious signs not good

Strategic Group open to outside equity
BY: STEVE CREEDY From: The Australian December 30, 2011 12:00AM

STRATEGIC Group says it has overseas interest in its recently formed engineering business and restated the group's openness to outside equity investment in its airline operations.

The airline confirmed yesterday that two overseas companies had expressed interest in investing in Brisbane-based Strategic Engineering Australia, set up to carry out maintenance on its Air Australia fleet of Airbus A320 and A330 aircraft, and that talks were under way.

Cactusjack
29th Dec 2011, 13:10
And the Doctors wife wants to be the 'face' of the company? Maybe some billboards showing her jubblies will drum up business?

d_concord
29th Dec 2011, 22:52
They could always put them on the side of the aircraft if they got some A380's.

Then again, what a horrible thought!!

MACH082
31st Dec 2011, 07:03
Tuesday 22nd November 2011

Air Australia International P/L has been a flying school and a charter company since 1992.

Another company has now renamed itself to Air Australia and is offering cheap flights to foreign destinations. And the Australian Government Department in charge of registering names will not stop anyone from using anyone else’s company name unless the original company can prove the new company is damaging the original company.
Lots of people have been calling and emailing us through our website to find out more on the price and destinations of these cheap flights.
We are still only a flying school and air charter company. We suggest to them the old adage “ If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is” . The price of these trips do seem to be too good to be true.
About 10-12 years ago a company calling themselves Air Australia World Travel offered $99 Return flights to Bali from various places in Australia. This new company seems to have all the markings of them. As far as I know, no one made it to Bali on their offer but lots of people called me bitchin’ and wanting their money back after the company disappeared overnight with their money. As I offered to these irate folks, “Fools and their money are easily separated.” I truly hope I do not have to say this to anyone else but I suspect I will.
Chuck McElwee
Managing Director
Air Australia International P/L

At least chuck is enjoying himself :)

antheads
31st Dec 2011, 07:36
webjet has dropped them it seems, aa does not show up on the melb-bris search anymore, :( sounds like a conspiracy to me

1a sound asleep
31st Dec 2011, 07:48
webjet has dropped them it seems,

That is incorrect. They probably dont get many bookings but they are still in their system

http://i43.tinypic.com/zkhegl.jpg

Up-into-the-air
31st Dec 2011, 08:11
d concord:

So long as it involved a FLY-BY of the MCG on Boxing Day!!!

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/472569-a380-over-melbourne.html

Have fun!!

witwiw
4th Jan 2012, 02:55
Some pretty unhappy travellers ex MEL and BNE this morning.

Any details, anyone?

Going Nowhere
4th Jan 2012, 03:25
A320 went u/s yesterday by the sounds, so A330 sent in to do a BNE-MEL.

**** happens! :ok:

Cargo744
4th Jan 2012, 10:21
Less than 30 on a A330.. yep **** happens

stevenpat72
5th Jan 2012, 15:15
Looks like the insurance issues with Flight Centre are drawing to a close.

FLEDGLING carrier Air Australia has moved to end a stand-off with Flight Centre over its financial details. Flight Centre spokesman Haydn Long confirmed yesterday that the travel company had signed a preferred airline deal with Air Australia after the airline moved to allay concerns about its finances.
Cookies must be enabled | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/air-australia-impasse-ends/story-e6frg95x-1226237771492)

tourismman
6th Jan 2012, 00:07
**** happens when all of you guys that bag the airline, end up being wrong all the time.:=

Just love IT !

Rudder
6th Jan 2012, 01:10
Its all of their doing Tourismman. Nobody has been proved wrong in any way.

They were the ones that had their solvency questioned by companies that they needed on side (which by the way there have been no reports that they have satisfied... Hopefully they have or this will rear its head again:)

As alluded to, 30 seats on an A330 may not be a winning formula but neither is it on an A320.

The people I know that work there are great guys and in fairness don't appear to bag the company any more than any other company gets it so they must be doing something OK.

Like I keep saying, I hope it works out for them but don't think it will.

BOBO THE CLOWN 23
6th Jan 2012, 02:20
Rudder I'm not sure where you get 30seats from? Most a320 flights have been about 120 to 140 on them. A330 have been getting great loads as well. If your 30 seat story is correct than it would of been just one flight. I have been on qantas flights and had most the cabin to my self. I'm not sure why you have to be so negative for?

Torqueman
6th Jan 2012, 02:21
What is going on with the Atlas 330 operating for them?

Rudder
6th Jan 2012, 04:55
Bobo,

Go up a couple of post and you will see where the 30 seats come from. All in the context of an A330. And clearly in the context of Brisbane to Melbourne RPT service. Well if true, its bad on an A320 as well.

I really couldn't care less how they go personally. Happy for them to succeed for a number of friends sakes. I have been aware of other issues that I have not thrown in the mix intentionally. The issues here in the forum of recent times have been very public and of Strategics doing entirely.

Strategic makes no sense and as I keep saying I doubt that they will succeed. just an opinion but hey, I've been wrong before and will be again. I will be more than happy to be proved wrong in this case.

Cargo744
6th Jan 2012, 09:11
Rudder,

You are right... i also have alot of friends involved in this op and hope they don't have to go thru a company failure. Unfortunately the BNE-MEL flights are a massive mistake. As is always the case when a company fails the big boys walk away not too bad off and the rest get screwed.

PoppaJo
6th Jan 2012, 09:18
AtlasJet looked a little lost the other day, cut us off and went into the wrong bay! About on par with AirAsia!

1a sound asleep
6th Jan 2012, 10:37
jet_m How nice to have somebody from AA management join the discussion. May I suggest that "Pax loads are 120-140 on every flight" is a complete and utter lie.

Now I remind you that the rest of your issues are because your PR machine has no idea. The issue with Flight Centre was real and of your own doing. The bad PR you created on Facebook and other public media is because you deliberately deleted people with feedback you didn't like. Be far more honest and forthcoming with fact and truth. ie. Dont lie that you have your own flight crew on Turkish wet leased a/c to pax and maybe they wont hate you.

Dont pretend that the BNE-MEL is a huge success. 2 weeks over the peak holiday season does not in any way equal making profits.

Respect the travelling public with honesty and integrity and they may well support the new kid on the block. Piss them off with "twists of the truth" and they will hate you with spite. For the sake of everybody I hope you survive.

stevenpat72
6th Jan 2012, 12:31
What is going on with the Atlas 330 operating for them? Answer from Air Australia:

the aircraft current operated by Atlasjet on our behalf is actually our third A330. Our second A330 is currently undergoing maintenance to be delivered to Air Australia February 15. Once this aircraft is delivered the Atlasjet aircraft will go into maintenance to be delivered to Air Australia mid May. Both aircraft have been leased from ILFC.

Hoofharted
7th Jan 2012, 03:30
So "rudder" if you couldn't care less how they go, why do you spend every waking hour (along with A1), dumping your bile and negativity for all to see?

You actions don't support your purported attitude. You really got to wonder don't you?

Rudder
7th Jan 2012, 04:01
Simple retort to this is "What bile?"

The Hooker
7th Jan 2012, 08:51
Some of you are justing praying that they will fail, some others are just pure **** stirrers and a few of you know the truth.
The loads are very good ( and that is from the horses mouth, not conjecture) and with a little luck it will continue for them.
This is supposed to be forum populated by some bright and capable people but from some of the crap written I sense that many fall well outside of these parameters.

antheads
7th Jan 2012, 13:00
Indeed if you look at the thread the naysayers were wrong about the deal with ilfc. I am sure they are wrong about many things, but making up for ones own faliures in life is quickly band aided by a 'they'll never make it' post on pprune! :}

down3gr33ns
7th Jan 2012, 21:08
Any comments on evilC's decision to leave? Did his reading of the writing on the wall have anything to do with it?

nomorecatering
8th Jan 2012, 07:56
I for one hope Air Australia keeps going and grows.

It's a shame here in Oz, so many people like to see someone who gets off their butt and has a go at something fail. This is so different to the US where people will try out a new businiss, no matter what it is and let it succeed or fail on its merits.

So instead of bitching about how blogs doesnt have the right to have a new business, lets get out, try that new shop, resteraunt, airline etc etc. Encourage friends and family to try it.

For too long we in Oz have sat back and said how good are we, and how good we have it,but the reality is we are falling behind the rest of the world at an ever increasing pace.

You never know, we just may be able to keep a few jobs in this country.

autoflight
23rd Jan 2012, 06:57
Can anyone comment on Air Australia ground staff recruiting?

Someperson
23rd Jan 2012, 13:49
That would be Menzies.

geeup
23rd Jan 2012, 19:03
Who and what are they? :sad:

tail wheel
23rd Jan 2012, 19:14
Air Australia (http://www.airaustralia.com/) is the new name for Strategic Airlines. Read Page 1 of this thread.

VBPCGUY
24th Jan 2012, 08:28
VH-YQC had issues in MEL today and looks like it went unserviceable was still parked at F17 when I left at 1430.

PoppaJo
24th Jan 2012, 09:09
Unfortunately they have a very aged A320 fleet.......20 year old machines.

Compared to the issues Skywest have had with their A320 which is a year newer at 19 years old, they are not doing too bad....yet.

Going Nowhere
24th Jan 2012, 09:48
Back in service.

AA are getting a hiding on their social networking page about the Turkish A330. :ugh:

dodo whirlygig
24th Jan 2012, 19:12
Is there a link to that page?

Alloyboobtube
24th Jan 2012, 22:39
R they still recruiting pilots. Looking for a way home.

autoflight
24th Jan 2012, 23:09
Check out the about, careers on Air Australia - Home (http://www.airaustralia.com/)
Abt, check your PM

Captain Nomad
27th Jan 2012, 01:37
I see they are advertising for pilots.

Seriously though, I'm rather tired of recruiting people with no idea writing the list of what a pilot applicant should have... What the heck is a "Class 1 Australian ATPL?" (which is immediately followed by "Class 1 Medical" requirement)

If I wrote similar nonsense on a resume I'm sure when read by the appropriate person it would be given the appropriate round file treatment, yet when the shoe is on the other foot... :=

Management can sprout whatever nonsense they like yet if our p's and q's are not in order we are incompetent and not worth the time of day... At least get the CP or head of T&C to write the requirements so the secretary can 'cut and paste' when doing her job. How hard can it be?!

TSRABECOMING
28th Jan 2012, 14:22
It is possibly written by HR :ugh:

noclue
28th Jan 2012, 23:29
Anyone know if they provide endo training with a bond/sal sacrifice type scheme?

Roger Greendeck
29th Jan 2012, 04:31
Short answer, no. A type rating s a requirement to apply.

74world
2nd Feb 2012, 23:22
Air Australia is looking for DEC, any of you guys know what the terms and conditions are?

(FACTS would be appreciated instead of B/S) :cool:

hongkongfooey
4th Feb 2012, 22:30
74, these are the facts :

1) if you don't have A320/330 command time, you are 99% sure not to get DEC.

2) if you are not ex Ansett and or know someone in flight ops management, you are 99% chance of no DEC.

3) there are plenty of capable effos that exceed the command requirements that you will be displacing ( this doesn't normally bother pilots :rolleyes:

Non facts : as with the last advert for pilots I believe they are on a fishing expedition as the have no immediate need for drivers .

As with a lot of Australian outfits it's an ex AN boys club. Sorry if that offends some but I'm sure most will agree.

Good luck

Going Nowhere
4th Feb 2012, 22:39
A330 to HNL last week had 3 CAPT's up front and 2 on the return.

Unless it's all training, there didn't appear to be a shortage of Skippers.

As a side note, they better get some more A330's quick because the ones they have looked totally f%*ked inside. :yuk:

Plenty of pax grumbling that tv/seats/lights/toilets didn't work.

Crew were very good, but you could tell they were frustrated at the state of the cabin.

74world
5th Feb 2012, 00:06
Hongkongfooey thanks for the reply, I do have Airbus COMMAND time but I'm not an ex ansett. I have however sent my CV.
I presume you have no idea on the terms and conditions since you haven't answered my questions..... :cool:

MASTEMA
5th Feb 2012, 01:38
HKF
Just the facts…
At last count there were just as many ex-Dragon guys there, with yet another ex-Dragon A330 DEC joining soon. The new Chief Pilot, his deputy and the fleet manager are all ex- D and they prefer to employ their own. Some other management and checkie positions about to be filled by ex-D guys also.
AA pilots are the lowest paid A320/A330 pilots in Oz. There is no CPI, no bonus, no overtime, no union, barely a uniform (if you’re lucky) and they refuse to clean the aircraft and crewrooms, not even a rubbish bin for 200 crew.
The culture is punitive Dragon style, rife with cronyism, depressing due to the problems onboard the old aircraft and not financially secure. If anyone dares to speak up they are interrogated by the Jackboot Gestapo and told “Wenn Sie mögen es nicht, f**k off”
Aircraft are the oldest and filthiest in Oz and are clapped out.

All thick smoke and cracked mirrors, real shame as it could be good :bored:

old rope
5th Feb 2012, 04:56
The trouble for the ever winging, always negative HKF is that although he is KA, he is just a lowly 320 FO who's opinion of himself far exceeds his ability. He also has a pathological hatred of anything ex Ansett. So a company that only takes DEC's whom are also ex Ansett is just a perfect target for his puerile venom. :{:{

THRidle
5th Feb 2012, 05:14
Mastema, you're full of it.:= I assume you are a bitter and twisted ex AA employee.

I've a few mates flying there ( and yes, two are ex Ansett ) and although they could always do with more money, they don't seem that unhappy.

They don't get too many resignations amongst the pilots, although I do believe they have a turnover in the F/A dept

MASTEMA
5th Feb 2012, 07:33
THRidle

I did ask for the messenger to not be shot but okay, I'll play.

Which part of my post is not accurate? You even admit that your Mates are not well paid.

If my source is correct about 12 pilots have resigned since 'Strategic' started and about 10 looking to move on.

I dont have an axe to grind, just bored in a grungy hotel room and responding to the HKF post.

hongkongfooey
5th Feb 2012, 08:57
Old fart, 18 posts and you know me so well, I'm flattered. Unfortunately like most of the dribblers on PPRUNE, you are full of it, I am neither an FO or with KA. My info comes from current employees of AA, and I apologise, ex AN ex KA boys club, would not surprise me if u belong to one of those, and here's a news flash : ANSETT WENT BROKE 11 YEARS AGO, THAT'S HOW GREAT IT WAS.

jackthelad
5th Feb 2012, 09:17
I would say 10 pilots leaving since strategic started is a pretty good retention rate give they have been around 4 or 5 years. I'm sure JQ VA of QF would love to boast a number like that. BTW my good friend is an FO there, he's paid more the Aussie JQ pilots and nearly on Par with VA Fo,s there his exact words, so I don't think pay is an issue. What is concerning is all the Bull**** that you guys dig up and call facts. Most but not all of you need a life.

MASTEMA
5th Feb 2012, 10:11
Jack
That was 12 pilots since Strategic Airlines started in late 2009/ 2010. I think comparing 12 pilots leaving a group of 50 odd (24% attrition) with 1000 odd in VA or JQ and 3000 odd in QF is hardly apples for apples.
I didn’t say there was a pay issue. I was referring to a previous Pprune post which listed the payscales of the Oz carriers. AA was at the bottom.
It is very easy to make sweeping statements that everything you don’t like reading is BS and posters should get a life.
I see from your previous posts that you are very protective of AA so let’s just say the bit about your AA mate’s pay is BS and maybe you should get real?

GAFA
5th Feb 2012, 10:49
Find it hard to believe the Air Australia FO's are nearly on par with VA 737 FO's. Most VA 737 FO's are on a base of around $120K and pick up another $15-25k in allowances and overtime.

jackthelad
5th Feb 2012, 11:53
Mastama! let just say as you did, dont shoot the messanger, my meager 30 posts in total tell you I dont live on here.

Im just following this thread with interest as I do have friends working there and basically from time to time I have a look as I am interested in whats happening. But Im glad you took more time to review my previous posts, make me feel all warm and fuzzy to think someone cares that much.....

GAFA, Ok maybe on par was a rash statement, but just having spoken to him they are not far behind and Iam only talking a few thousand below your quoted 120K mark. Certainly not the lowest paid 320 F/Os in Australia by a long stretch.

I dont know if AA is going to be a success or a failure, but I hope for all the staff and people that work there that it becomes a raging success. If not only to prove all the doomsayers wrong.

Ive wasted far to much of my valuable time on here already and this thread has run it course one would think.

ozangel
5th Feb 2012, 15:22
This thread is almost as much of a basket case as the bloody airline! :ugh::ugh:

I hope they don't fail - the reviews they're getting are spectacularly bad, both from the atlas bird and their own - at least as a spectator, they don't fail to entertain! Their social media policy of deleting complaints/banning customers with gripes shows a grave ignorance of basic PR.

They appear to be a cash strapped poorly run business earning a very bad reputation for themselves, being defended by a few eternally optimistic employees with blinders on to the harsh reality.

Load factors are one thing, yield is another, and it all means nothing if you treat your customers/passengers/guests (whatever you call them) like crap by over promising and under delivering.

Goat Whisperer
5th Feb 2012, 20:53
Jacktgelad:

"Certainly not the lowest paid 320 F/Os in Australia by a long stretch."

If Air Australia are not the lowest paid A320 FOs in Australia then who are?

hongkongfooey
6th Feb 2012, 01:49
I think the pay is pretty good for the work they do, and only people trying to make their pay sound good count allowances and/or OT.
I have 2 mates that are good operators, very experienced and bypassed by people with no experience ie CPs son, so that's not a boys club ? AN, KA whatever. Real airlines don't do that 5hit, and the irony of that almost never happening at their previous employers (AN/KA) is not lost on myself and a lot of others. Can anyone spell " hypocrisy "

( they would have screamed blue murder if anyone jumped the que at their previous employers )

gobbledock
8th Feb 2012, 11:51
I don't want to thread drift to far away from the ship here but don't JQ F/O's earn under 120k and Tiger F/O's under 100k??
This is not a piss-take and I am not wanting to stir up a wage war debate, I just though that unless you sit in the RH seat of a VA or QF turbine as an F/O you won't crack 120k?

Either way it is a disgrace. An incompetent geriatric FOI who last touched a stick and rudder in 1952 starts at around 140k at CASA!

Busboy92
8th Feb 2012, 17:23
I reckon talking about wages is a waste of time. The Skywest thread reckons that Network has won the FMG contract. A couple of months ago, when I was thinking about joining, I was told that Air Australia was going to get it and that would make sure they survived. So any new pilot slots will probably dry up??

flying-spike
8th Feb 2012, 21:05
General Aviation FOIs start at around $120K (no endorsement loading). You are not on the bigger money until the endorsement loading is added.

gobbledock
8th Feb 2012, 23:54
General Aviation FOIs start at around $120K (no endorsement loading). You are not on the bigger money until the endorsement loading is added. GA? Though we were talking about HICAP/LOCAP? But 120k is a nice start these days for a governemt job with 15% super and Mon-Fri work hours. Then you have coffee time, international 'best practise' conferences and seminars, travel allowances and laptops, phones and whatever else is 'added'. And don't forget most of those guys are pensioners who have been out of the real loop for eons! Not to mention potential career progression to where the big dollars start at around 200-250k for managers. AND these guys usually wear those flash blue ties and I am guessing a "Safe Skies For All' tie pin?
Sounds good to me Spike, can you get me an application form buddy?????

Just for Kharon
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR20Q1LpOWWnRh8Pb3sfHeka-EJe4kABH9kBveP7rajeajhjg6R

airdualbleedfault
9th Feb 2012, 09:40
Haven't heard anything about Network getting FMG but you would have to think with a lack of resources, on carriage, FF points, lounges etc, that Strategic were not really going to be in the running, if I were a betting man I would have said Network or VB

flying-spike
9th Feb 2012, 20:41
I believe you can find any vacancies on the net together with the present EBA. I didn't think you would be interest GD, besides, what would PPRUNE would be poorer for your absence. You wouldn't be posting here if you joined malfunction junction, would you? Perhaps you would change your moniker to......Casaweary or similar?

Maisk Rotum
10th Feb 2012, 05:07
27 January 2012

AIR AUSTRALIA......seeking Expressions of Interest from suitably qualified Flight Crew to join our outstanding team of professionals. A330 & A320 CAPTAINS

10th February

"Air Australia has no requirement for direct entry captains at the moment"

A lot happens in two weeks in that airline!!!!

Cargo744
10th Feb 2012, 09:44
Yep... More debt builds up.

crosscutter
11th Feb 2012, 20:39
Possible/expected announcement next week. Hope I am wrong but the vultures are flying

The Hooker
13th Feb 2012, 07:09
Oh and Cargo747 you would know about their debt would you.
A little man making big assumptions:=

cyclone8888
15th Feb 2012, 06:02
The Hooker et al, appears Cargo744 and others may not have been so far off the mark. This has just been published in the AFR in the last few hours, you can look it up for yourself to verify it however I have copied the below for readers ease;

Edited by Sarah Thompson and Stephen Shore
This is an edited selection of today’s best postings on Street Talk, which is updated throughout the day on AFR.com.

Just a month after Strategic Aviation Group, owner of low-cost carrier Air Australia, said it was courting a cornerstone investor to fund expansion, it appears the dream could be over for Australia’s youngest airline.
Initial rumours early this morning have firmed up that Strategic could be placed into administration, or already has been,due to it being unable to repay its debt to lender ANZ.
High oil prices and weakening yields, or ticket prices, have hurt the industry in general and particularly Australian carriers which have seen an onslaught of offshore competition operating off lower cost bases.
One source suggested to Street Talk that KordaMentha, which ran the massive Ansett administration for more than 10 years, has already been appointed.
If the administration is confirmed, it will be the end of an airline – at least in its current form – that had promised to bring competition to Qantas and particularly Virgin Australia, marketing low-cost air fares on a young fleet of aircraft to international leisure destinations such as Phuket and Hawaii in addition to domestic flights.
Air Australia had been planning to add routes in Vietnam and China and eventually the US west coast off a larger fleet of leased Airbus A330 jets, chief executive and sole shareholder Michael James said in an interview last month.
Calls to the press office at Strategic have been met with the vague response that the company cannot comment on anything right now but will be issuing a formal statement. The Air Australia website was still selling tickets for travel this month as of 2:30pm on Wednesday.

zanzibar
15th Feb 2012, 08:22
No comments after several hours!!!

Where have all the proponents gone?

BNEA320
15th Feb 2012, 09:33
seems strange that the AFR is the only one I can find reporting today on Air Australias woes.

Maybe Air Australias lawyers are working overtime, trying to kill the story ?

Do Air Australia own anything or is everything leased ?

RAD_ALT_ALIVE
15th Feb 2012, 09:57
I can't be fagged going through the process of becoming an online AFR reader, but the teasers on their website have published another story (only in the last 2 and a bit hours) with a headline that suggests the story is being denied by the ownership.

This rumour (and just 'coz it's published by the AFR doesn't mean it's fact) could be being peddled by any number of stakeholders with malicious intent.

Maybe Cyclone8888 might be so kind as to cut'n'paste the second article so that we might all share in the information released by the company.

BNEA320
15th Feb 2012, 10:22
can't find it anywhere online.

Have all reporters gone home for the evening ?

cyclone8888
15th Feb 2012, 10:40
Here you go

Edited by Sarah Thompson and Stephen Shore
Just a month after Strategic Aviation Group, owner of low-cost carrier Air Australia, said it was courting a cornerstone investor to fund expansion, rumour has it the dream could be over for Australia’s youngest airline.
Initial rumours swirled early this morning that Strategic could be placed into administration with the privately owned company unable to repay its debt to lender ANZ, though the company has since been at pains to deny it is in trouble.
“We’re not in voluntary administration, sales are going fine - it’s business as usual,” a company spokesman told Street Talk.
Insiders at Strategic blamed rivals with an agenda to push for the chatter which ran quickly through the industry today.
The chatter had been that KordaMentha, already an adviser to Strategic, was standing by as an administrator, but then if the company actually had gone into receivership it would be incumbent on both to inform the market.
High oil prices and weakening yields, or ticket prices, have hurt the industry in general and particularly Australian carriers which have seen an onslaught of offshore competition operating off lower cost bases.
Even if an administration isn’t on the cards, sources suggested that it was not all rosy between Strategic and ANZ, with talks under way today.
Air Australia has been planning to add routes to Vietnam and China this year and eventually to the US west coast off a larger fleet of leased Airbus A330 jets, chief executive and sole shareholder Michael James said in an interview last month.

[email protected]
[email protected]

1a sound asleep
15th Feb 2012, 12:35
Following News articles summarize the situation pretty well. . . . RIP although still 2 weeks until March

FLEDGLING carrier Air Australia yesterday hit out at rumours that ANZ Bank is considering winding up the company amid worries from some creditors about outstanding payments.

A spokeswoman rejected suggestions parent company Strategic Group was being put into receivership or administration.

She did not respond to suggestions the company was as much as $30 million in debt or that several creditors were chasing payments.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/air-australia-rejects-talk-of-closure-as-creditors-fret/story-e6frg95x-1226272168836)

AUSTRALIA's newest budget international airline, Air Australia, has been working closely for six months with specialists from corporate paramedic KordaMentha in a bid to turn around its ailing business.

The confirmation of KordaMentha's presence at the Brisbane-based airline follows intense speculation yesterday about its future. The airline is still taking bookings for flights but it declined to respond further yesterday to questions about its financial health.

Read more: Air Australia bids to lift its business (http://www.smh.com.au/business/air-australia-bids-to-lift-its-business-20120215-1t6d7.html#ixzz1mWnSZXhM)

AUSTRALIA's newest budget international airline, Air Australia, is working closely with specialists from the advisory arm of corporate paramedic KordaMentha in a bid to turn around its ailing business.
Air Australia confirmed yesterday that specialists from KordaMentha had been working in an advisory capacity for the airline for the past five to six months

Read more: Corporate doctor called in at Air Australia (http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/business/corporate-doctor-called-in-at-air-australia-20120215-1t6dq.html#ixzz1mWnZgAZa)

moa999
15th Feb 2012, 21:08
Unfortunately articles like those won't help Air Australia battle against the bigger boys.

Suppliers demand improved payment terms or stop supply - drain on cash
Customers become worried and look elsewhere - even further drain on cash

66biscuits
16th Feb 2012, 02:29
From the Australian article:

"...but Perth Airport chief executive Brad Geatches said his organisation was insisting that Air Australia pay outstanding charges. "We're not aware where others might be on the subject but we will be quite insistent on receiving payment," Mr Geatches said. "We are sensitive to these matters; I've got two Ozjet aircraft sitting on my airfield that are a constant reminder to our company of the risk associated with airlines failing."

This is exactly what was happening to OzJet at the end of their life cycle. PER wouldn't let them fly until they paid their bills. I believe it was about $200k that they owed.

1a sound asleep
16th Feb 2012, 04:32
Air Australia a victim of rumors, and credibility
February 16, 2012 – 3:04 am, by Ben Sandilands

Air Australia at risk from all directions, including itself | Plane Talking (http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking/2012/02/16/air-australia-a-victim-of-rumors-and-credibility/)

Air Australia is copping it from all directions this week, being the subject yet again of rumors of demise or administration, and the doubts it has itself planted by demanding and getting traffic rights to more places than it is plausibly going to serve without more investors and a stronger business.

The airline is owned by former Ansett flight attendant Michael James. It is a renamed Strategic Airlines, which appears in the search results as a carrier which generated occasional controversy over its providing lift to the Australian military effort in Iraq and now Afghanistan.

After a number of service malfunctions it appeared to lift its game and operates what are widely described as effective and competitive services to Phuket, Honolulu and Bali, and between Brisbane and Melbourne and Perth and Derby as well as offering charter services in a small fleet of owned or leased A330s and A320s.

It has also received traffic allocations for services to Vietnam and China but has not revealed anything useful as to when, how often, and with whose A330s, and much of its international flying today appears to be with leased a leased Turkish A330 that sometimes comes as surprise if not disappointment to passengers who expected the gleaming machines in Air Australian livery presented on its site and in its sales material.

Air Australia yesterday specifically and comprehensively denied that it had entered into administration.

Rumors to the contrary are likely to contribute to damage for the Air Australia brand. But so is the inability of the company so far to provide lucid and detailed accounts of what it is on about with its overseas ambitions, since the traffic rights that are automatically available to licensed Australian flag carriers are not in themselves going to translate into revenue unless they are offered as seats to the market, and as soon as possible.

It is fair to say that Air Australia is a welcome competitive force, but that it must decisively act to resource its ambitions, or run a very high risk of irrelevancy leading inevitably to failure.

airdualbleedfault
16th Feb 2012, 05:52
but Perth Airport chief executive Brad Geatches said his organisation was insisting that Air Australia pay outstanding charges. You, my friend, are a world class tool not worthy of being chief executive of anything other than one of the 10 worst airports in the world, oh wait, you are chief of one of the 10 worst airports in the world.

"We are sensitive to these matters; I've got two Ozjet aircraft sitting on my airfieldWhat airfield ? You have 10-15 aircraft parked up near the threshold of the active runways everyday, moron. But at least the factory outlets have plenty of parking, even if the passengers don't.

( apologies for the thread drift )

Busboy92
16th Feb 2012, 06:04
Geezz mate, bit rough.

I can understand he'd be nervous, Strategic own Ozjet, so if any money was owing to Perth Airport I can imagine he'd be a bit gun shy.

And if he trys to get any info and goes to the Air Australia website he'd notice that the menu item "media" is gone - guess when there is no good news you shut up shop and give nuthin.

I understand from the fellas inside that the flight attendent fella that owns the business doesnt communicate to the troops, so im guessing that coms to folks they own money to is even worse.

All a bit ugly I reckon.

Cargo744
16th Feb 2012, 09:48
What corner do you work "the hooker"? Might have to visit sometime. On a serious note the vultures are circling and as sandilands reported all the reports on their instability has and will cause further depletion in their fwb's. There are good people there, some friends of mine and i feel for them... Unfortunately the CEO ain't one

Moony123
16th Feb 2012, 15:56
Not looking good folks. I have a mate stranded in Phuket right now. 4 hour delay and counting. The airport authorities are telling him it's because Air Australia have not paid their outstanding fuel bills.

gflynorw
16th Feb 2012, 16:11
Officially in adminstration...:sad:

SOPS
16th Feb 2012, 16:28
the web site is live seems it is over:{

C441
16th Feb 2012, 18:28
My Son's at Brissy airport to check-in for BNE-MEL-HKT and Air Australia have definitely ceased operations......hoping Jetstar might look after him via SYD to HKT:(

Capt Claret
16th Feb 2012, 19:03
ABC quote KordaMentha saying no flights in the immediate future.

Air Australia grounded and placed into administration - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://tinyurl.com/85az7vd)

evil_hitman
16th Feb 2012, 19:08
Just heard on local radio that they've gone under.

tail wheel
16th Feb 2012, 19:08
Voluntary administration. All flights cancelled. Passengers told to find their own way home.

All over folks.

dragon man
16th Feb 2012, 19:21
Very sad. A reflection in many ways about the state of the economy here in Australia. Its only going to get worse in my opinion.

The Voice
16th Feb 2012, 19:21
... for those that may be interested or know someone affected by this, KordaMentha have released a detailed information statement in PDF format.

That can be accessed from the Air Australia webpage - FAQ's.

Bugger!

Selcalmeonly
16th Feb 2012, 19:28
Yes - me too. I feel for to all employees and customers affected. I have a number of friends who are/were aircrew.

Torqueman
16th Feb 2012, 19:39
While everyone supports the good work done by all those at the coal face.
It is poor form on the directors and owners to continue operating the way they have, not paying their bills and putting other businesses at risk.
So once again the hard work of the employees is undermined by the recklessness of its owners and directors. Sound famillier?

Led Zeppelin
16th Feb 2012, 19:54
Very sad news for the workers there. This will be the second time for some of them and their families.

EchoNovemberTango
16th Feb 2012, 19:55
long time coming sadly, guess its time to eat their words after the relaunch

The Voice
16th Feb 2012, 20:12
QF's AJ a short time ago has said that both QF and JQ are looking to assist affected pax - if pax present themselves at any of the QF/JQ counters with the ticket and they'll see what they can do to honour the travel for the same cost of the already purchased fare. I'd be thinking that may come as a surprise to the counter staff until the advice is given from above to below .. but refer to AJ's announcement via live interview about 15 minutes ago

Selcalmeonly
16th Feb 2012, 20:20
Can anyone refresh my memory as to which company won the defence force contract please?

Cargo744
16th Feb 2012, 20:34
Sel... It went to Adagold about 18mths ago using a HiFly A340

CharlieMikeKilo
16th Feb 2012, 20:49
Air Australia Goes Bust (http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/passengers-stranded-as-air-australia-goes-bust-20120217-1tcln.html)

I have a mate that was 1st officer for them. I hope he can find work soon, poor bloke.

Selcalmeonly
16th Feb 2012, 20:49
Thanks - so HiFly is a Portugese AOC holder right?

I'm not a Strategic defender. I don't really know too much about them; but how is it that the Government gives a contract to transport Australian Defence Force personnel to a foreign AOC holder? :hmm:

Selcalmeonly
16th Feb 2012, 20:53
I know a couple of their Skippers - they'll be in a difficult space. Getting too long in the tooth to do a major move OS again.

indamiddle
16th Feb 2012, 21:05
refueller in phuket last night wanted the bill paid up front. company couldn't pay.
another mate of mine unemployed.

cyclone8888
16th Feb 2012, 21:15
I'm not a Strategic defender. I don't really know too much about them; but how is it that the Government gives a contract to transport Australian Defence Force personnel to a foreign AOC holder? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/yeees.gif

Because it was made abuntantly clear in the tender that the primary criteria for selection was "value for money for the Australian taxpayer".

You could argue it either way, as it has been in the past many times in the past however the value for money argument was what was used by ADF to award the tender to who they did.

Lookleft
16th Feb 2012, 21:15
Strategic started the Defense contract by using a 330 on a Portugese registered aircraft. The Defense contract should be only open to tender to existing airlines with an Australian AOC.There is plenty of competition with Skywest, Alliance, Qantas, Virgin etc.Reminds me of the Coastwatch debacle in the 80s.

AN1944
16th Feb 2012, 22:09
Anouncement 01.30 mentha and :{corda took over no money what happens now ? Who could be a buyer aos must be worth something ,aircraft not owned?

Eastwest Loco
16th Feb 2012, 22:18
Damned shame - and brought down by an Insurance Company 10's of thousands of miles away holding back on paying out millions from an event last year.

I notice Mr Korda has bobbed up again amongst the administrators.

Looks like a looong wait for entitlements yet again:(

We had 14 passengers affected with 2 of them in the checkin line in Brisbane. They are rolling for the same fare on JQ and refusing the credit card charge on the VC flights. Decent move by AJ at short notice. Good for JQ PR as well and a top up of available seats for nothing.

Even top management (not from the Townsville refueller I know but reliable) didn't see this coming and are in shock.

Hope all the guys and girls find employment ASAP.

All the passengers I had on VC really enjoyed the experience.

Best all

EWL

dodgybrothers
16th Feb 2012, 22:21
EWL, come on, blind freddie could see this coming.

Phalanger
16th Feb 2012, 22:27
I notice Mr Korda has bobbed up again amongst the administrators.

Looks like a looong wait for entitlements yet againhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif
Lets face it, they had just sold everything quickly then everyone would of been out of pocket a lot more than by doing what they did.

Eastwest Loco
16th Feb 2012, 22:27
It was a possible Phalanger, however the 5.5M hole left by the HKT breakdown last year and the failure of the Insurance company to cough left a cash flow conundrum that was the source of many of the rumours.

It seemed that an "attack under the cover of darkness" approach was taken with receivers hitting last night in HKT and early today in BNE and elsewhere.

Sad

Best

EWL