PDA

View Full Version : Buoyancy aids - where should I get one???

Cesspit 152
17th Oct 2001, 21:44
Before I rush out & buy one, I thought I'd conduct some primitive form of market research on my part: I'm being a little adventurous with the flying, some of which will prob. take me from sunny Ireland to the Outer Hebridies and other far flung parts of Scotland the next time I get a reasonable holiday. Hence the requirement for the gear.
The local Puma pilots (obviously) have the all-in-one wonder buoyancy aid/survival aid/Kitchen sink (I'll be corrected on that point), which does look the part & I'm sure would have all the pockets for the associated strobe & radio etc. Has anyone seen a civi equivalent? or something that will fit the bill?

DownIn3Green
20th Oct 2001, 03:43
Listen to the safety brief the next time you fly commercial...

"In the unlikely event of a water landing, your lifejacket is located in a pouch underneath your seat"...

Cesspit 152
20th Oct 2001, 21:07
As nice as the concept of getting one for "free" the next time I fly somewhere on a 737 might be, I can't see the airline agreeing with my logic.
Whats the current favourite with everyone else out there? .... there is someone out there isn't there???

IFollowRoads
23rd Oct 2001, 03:43
I've got a pair of Remploy ones - obtained through Transair (If they're in your vicinity, you can go in and pick them up. Saves all that messing about waiting for the postman/securicor/tnt) They were around 70 or 80 quid each, the annual service is around 25-30 each, and are the 'permanent wear' type - best option for GA. Whilst on holiday in the summer, required a third, and the only option in Cannes was a 'one shot wonder' Probably cost about the same, can't be serviced, is not permanent wear. I won't be buying another of those. :rolleyes:

Cesspit 152
23rd Oct 2001, 19:41
If nothing else comes out of this thread then that story made it worth its salt, and into the bargain there's a link to aircrew lifejackets in there:
:) Equipped.com (http://www.equipped.com/avvests.htm) :)

Thanks!

Mycroft
23rd Oct 2001, 23:36
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=53&t=000929
one of the replies gives details of a company selling immersion suits, which I think is what you're after