PDA

View Full Version : approach ban point

staraviator
1st Nov 2011, 06:29
Friends,
Somebody please explain the concept of approach ban point.
Is it defined in terms of radial and distance ?
Where it can be on the approach segment ? whether it can be after IAF ?

bfisk
1st Nov 2011, 07:18
It is normally the Outer Marker or equivalent point (such as DME distance or a crossing radial/bearing). If no such point exists, using 1000' above aerodrome elevation is not uncommon.

An instrument approach may not be continued past this point unless the weather are at or above minima (rvr/vis for precision approaches, and also cieling for non-precision approaches). Once this point is passed, the approach may be continued to minima regardless of reported weather conditions.

Edit: mixed the cards there - cieling is required for planning purposes but is not part of the "commencement or continuation of approach". Mea culpa.

fireflybob
1st Nov 2011, 08:57
(rvr/vis for precision approaches, and also cieling for non-precision approaches).

As far as I am aware for JAROPS even for non-precision the only requirement is to have the prescribed rvr/vis - ie a ceiling is not required (unless required by the State or possibly the company operations manual)

Pilot1002
29th Apr 2013, 07:37
I failed at the wizz air interview last Friday (26th od April) because I didn't know this answer for that question :(
Now I know it ;)