PDA

View Full Version : Whats the most Serious turbulence?

Topper187
17th Oct 2001, 03:13
Whats the most Serious turbulence you have incounted when flying? What caused it? i.e. cumulus clouds, cbs, or just plain old CAT?
Just asking cause it was real bumpy into heathrow the other day and my stomach was all over the place. Not good for a wanabee!

DownIn3Green
17th Oct 2001, 03:57
Generally the worst turbulance you will ever encounter on a scheduled flight is moderate. The minute the crew report "severe" turbulance the a/c becomes due for an inspection. (in many cases)

Aircrews usually monitor the frequency for "ride reports" from a/c ahead of them and can usually avoid the worst.

Of course CAT (Clear Air Turbulance) is unpredictable, but if you were to have an encounter with something severe, I'm sure we'd all be reading about it.

My suggestion, relax and enjoy the ride. They used to call this an "E" ticket, from the old way of doing business at Disneyworld.

G SXTY
17th Oct 2001, 16:45
As passenger:
Twotter flight from VGT to the Grand Canyon, with scarcely a cloud in the sky. Early afternoon, 30 degrees plus, crossing over water, desert, canyons & forest. It found it a real education in the different heat capacities of the respective surfaces. The missus just threw up. :) (Talking to the FO afterwards, he put the turbulence at 4 on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the mildest . . .).

As pilot:
My 2nd ever flying lesson, one grey December day, practising straight & level flight (!) in a C152, with none of the instruments, or indeed my control inputs, making much sense. My instructor described it as ‘moderate’.

I wouldn’t worry about your stomach too much – you very quickly get used to turbulence, and after a few lessons, you’ll barely notice it.

Wings
20th Oct 2001, 12:10
Worst I ever had in terms of sheer abrupt violence for about 20 seconds followed by...... nothing at all, was taking off from Seoul South Korea. Passing FL200 we encountered CAT which was on reflection, one of those massive 200Kt jetstreams you get in that part of the world. I NEVER EVER want to experience it again.

The most mind numbingly sickening turbulence was in the days of flying light twin pistons (Barons, C 310s C 402s etc) around outback Australia. The turbulence was convective in origin (hot air rising off of the desert like - ground). Not violent, just unpleasant, and on going for hours and hours. Guaranteed to make any passenger (or pilot) recovering from a hangover or a greasy breakfast regret consuming such items in the first place.

paulo
25th Oct 2001, 13:04
Had a fair bit of very manageable bumps in ppl flying, but still to this day nothing 'beats' flying as pax on the Boxing day when there was the storms in Europe. The crew apparently only got about a minutes notice (don't ask me to explain - my met is crap). Half pax were screaming, half nervous laughing, lots of tears, and some very quiet white faces at Turin airport when we landed. Only later did we read that a light ac gone down at the airport, a gondola lift had blown down in switzerland, and loads of trees had gone down in France.

Seriously though, I wouldn't worry about it - I think if you are at the pointy end you'll find it easier to deal with. I *hated* that incident a pax, but have just caught the aeros bug as a ppl.

ramsrc
25th Oct 2001, 14:17
I flew into Gatwick from Frankfurt a few years ago just after New Year. The seatbelt signs remained on for the entire flight, but it was the approach into LGW which sticks in my memory.

The captain told us to expect turbulence for the entire flight, as there was an extensive low-pressure system over Northern Europe and heavy thunderstorms in many areas. Gatwick was still open (just) but was experiencing crosswinds gusting to 55mph.

I was sitting next to a most annoying passenger who spent the entire flight complaining about anything and everything. She went strangely quiet and a peculiar shade of green as we got closer to Gatwick. Many passengers were either throwing up or just moaning quietly.

Upon landing at Gatwick the captain said he suspected he had enjoyed the approach more than we had!

I felt fine, but was nevertheless glad to be back on Terra firma – must have been pretty close to the crosswind limit for a 737?

[ 25 October 2001: Message edited by: ramsrc ]

DiverDriver
27th Oct 2001, 01:15
Would have to agree that enduring heavy turbulence as a passenger is far worse than when you’re at the pointy end (I’m not a good passenger at all). Having said that my worst experience happened whilst hour building in Texas a long time a go. I was returning to Lubbock Int when Air Traffic advised me that the Low Level Wind Shear Advisory was in effect. Having never heard anything like this before I blindly carried on in my C152. At about 800ft on a clear day I hit what felt like brick wall. My Door flew open, my bag levitated displacing all its contents, my head hit the ceiling and the control column was wrenched from my hand. By the time I recovered the situation my alti showed I had lost over 400ft. Needles to say I checked up on this phenomenon after that.

27th Oct 2001, 09:50
Worst was in NT (outback aus) over that red rock country- it just goes on and on. As for the most violent - hitting my own wake after a steeep turn in a 182B..near knocked me out! :eek:

Short and Sweet
31st Oct 2001, 02:49
Worst I ever had was enroute from Lightning Ridge (NSW) to Coolangatta (QLD). Left Bankstown early one morning with fine weather forecast. After leaving Lightning Ridge was asked by Flight Service if I had received the SIGMET re: Severe Forecast. Said no and they advised of the SIGMET. I had two very big men in a Seneca. It was looking fine until we got to the mountain range just to the east of Coolangatta and then it hit. Leaving 9000' on descent it was like being in a washing machine. It was the bumpiest ride I have ever had. Encountered wind shear on finals that even made the 767 on approach behind me go around.

Things I would do differently is on being notified of severe turbulence is slow the aircraft up well before entering because once I was in it, it was very difficult to slow. And get my pax to put something soft above their head! :D

Final 3 Greens
2nd Nov 2001, 01:30
Inadvertent embedded CB penetration in SEP. Sev Turb (couldn't read panel), a/c pretty much out of control (think we stalled a couple of tiems, difficult to be sure) - spat out after about a minute having lost 3000' - fortunately airframe not overstressed, no ice and we came out right side up in VMC - engine never missed a beat.

No way I'm ever doing that again.

Also, since this incident, like some other posters, I've not been at my best "in the back" of heavy iron in light/mod turb.

:)

[ 01 November 2001: Message edited by: Final 3 Greens ]