View Full Version : educational systems

16th Jul 2001, 12:05
Hi all,

US or UK airlines ofen say that they require pilots to have this and that degree.
How do Bristish or US educational systems work?

You do several years of elementary school, and then? What are the further ways of education?

Superpilot
16th Jul 2001, 13:35
In the UK:

Ages 11-16 are spent in what we call ‘Secondary schools’. The final 2 years at Secondary school, referred to as year 10 and 11 are where the students undertake the GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) level of education. Each student takes anything between 8 to 12 subjects at GCSE level, gaining a grade between A* (star) and G. U stands for ungraded. The core subjects are Maths, English, Science and a language. The others are ‘options’ which the student is normally required to choose from (e.g. pick 6 from History, Geography, R.E, etc etc).

From the ages 16-18, in the UK, some schools allow the students to continue their education at the same school they had their secondary education, whilst others have limited capacity, therefore the students are required to attend a College (referred to as a 6th Form College). At this stage they undertake A’ Level education or ‘Advanced Level’ in 3 or 4 subjects entirely of their own choice. Alternatively if they wish they could undertake a less intensive course such as a GNVQ (General National Vocational Qualification) in a field of their choice, normally I.T or a social-science field.

On completion of their A’ Levels or GNVQs, they can decide to go on further. This is quite smartly referred to as ‘Further education’ :). Further education is normally undertaken at a University and the end qualification is ‘a Degree’ in a discipline, which normally allows them to undertake a certain profession.

In the US, for pilot jobs, they nearly always ask for a degree, this is not the case in the UK. From my limited knowledge and understanding I don’t think you can compare the two systems. In the UK, learning is very much accelerated through the ages of 16-18. However in the US it happens a bit later in life.

hope this helps.

mad_jock
16th Jul 2001, 14:02
Beg to differ thats the system they use in England and Wales.

In scotland you have alot broader subject range and you also start school slightly earlier (4 years old). The exams are standard grades and Highers. Highers are single years course and it isnt unusal to have 5 or 6 of them when you go to uni.

Degrees are 4 years i started when i was 16 but normally it is 17/18. Graduate 21/22.
Its quite good this way because you hit the market a fair bit younger than the english graduates or if you stay on to do post grad you can be selling yourself with a PHd or Msc when the english guys only have the normal graduate degree at the same age.

MJ

Superpilot
16th Jul 2001, 14:11
Oh yes, sorry.

The above is only for England and Wales, not the entire UK.

[ 16 July 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

16th Jul 2001, 21:38
Thanks,

Glad to hear that UK airlines don't require a degree. I do my equivalent to the A-level this year and I'm quite fed up of going to school.