PDA

View Full Version : STAR vs ARRIVAL

HaBuraTop
28th Oct 2011, 19:06
Hi guys!

Today I got a question:
What is the difference between STAR and ARRIVAL? (there should be quite similar difference between SID and DEPARTURE as well).
I've looked a lot at the internet and on pprune, but I couldnt find any answer.
Anybody got an idea????

parabellum
28th Oct 2011, 21:16
It might just come down to semantics, for example, in the Jeppesen there will be a page, or pages, of Arrivals, small(ish) airfields, one page will show all arrivals each end, Chicago O'Hare = several pages of Arrivals, the STAR is the individual arrival as per it's specific name and number. Same for Departures and SIDs , I think?

Grasscarp
28th Oct 2011, 21:33
A STAR is a standard terminal arrival and a SID a standard terminal Departure. These will be published as such and aircraft fly in accordance with the published procedure. Not every airport has formal published procedures but people still need to get in and out of them. These will be lumped together as arrivals and departures and or directs to connect them to a transition waypoint and an airway. So there will be recognised direct tracks and no doubt vectors to expedite you, but they will not be called SIDS or STARS.

dusk2dawn
29th Oct 2011, 09:23
My copy of DOC 8168 (Fifth edition – 2006) defines STAR & SID as follows:

Standard instrument arrival (STAR). A designated instrument flight rule (IFR) arrival route linking a significant point, normally on an ATS route, with a point from which a published instrument approach procedure can be commenced.

Standard instrument departure (SID). A designated instrument flight rule (IFR) departure route linking the aerodrome or a specified runway of the aerodrome with a specified significant point, normally on a designated ATS route, at which the en-route phase of a flight commences.

- - -

DOC 8168 does not define the terms "arrival" and "departure" - I take it they consider them axiomatic [Self-evident or unquestionable].

HaBuraTop
30th Oct 2011, 19:02
Finally, I've found an answer!!! Basicaly, STAR is procedure leading you to an approach wich establish you on final for runway and is based on VOR DME, ILS, e.t.c.
ARRIVAL is a procedure wich is based on NDB only, and it will not establish you on final for runway, in most cases it should end up with circling locator.

dusk2dawn
30th Oct 2011, 22:52
And just exactly where did you find that .... "definition"?

bfisk
30th Oct 2011, 23:07
To my knowledge, that is incorrect. You will see that in the jepps for instance ENNA have arrival routes leading to ILS and/or LOC approaches, but they are not STARs.

My impression is that a STAR is a procedure designed in compliance with very specific PANS-OPS/TERPS criteria.

Any other published way of getting from the airways to the approach will be named an "arrival". Such may be military designed procedures or other published routes, that are not compliant with the term STAR for one reason or another.

M.82
2nd Nov 2011, 02:09
Sorry guys but fot me is simple,

STAR and ARRIVAL are the same.
STAR is the procedure, and ARRIVAL just the standard phraseology that we use to communicate with the ATC.
:ok: