PDA

View Full Version : time after flight training

blue yellow condor
16th Oct 2001, 16:19
hello,

I have some quations the job of a F/O after flight training at KLM and Swissair (I know that at Swissair nothing is the same than the last time ...)

A student pilot from the netherlands told me that you will fly the first year at KLM just above FL 200 (without take-off and landing) on lang distance flights. Is this true?

Also I hear that after the two years flight training at Swissair you will fly for the next 1 1/2 year as 2nd officer? That means there are three pilots on board.

If anybody can answer me ths questions it wold be very nice!

Thank you very much!
byc :cool:

Track
16th Oct 2001, 18:44
Normally after flight training with KLM (KLS at Eelde Airport) you start off as a second officer (somehow called coco)on the MD11, 744 or 743. If times are really good you may also start off as a F/O 737 but this rarely happens.

Being second officer basically means that you are only allowed to occupy a pilot's seat above FL200 i.e. no T/O and LDGs. You will serve as a required (relief) crewmember on long haul flights. This way KLM saves money because an additional F/O or Capt is oof course much more expensive (actually nowadays FO and SO get the same cash).

When demand is high you will serve as an S/O for about a year before being "upgraded" to F/O. The last couple of years demand is very low so many of them have been S/O for more than 3 or 4 years. You can imagine that these guys are getting a bit frustrated and are by many considered to be the best paid passengers in the world!
--------------------
Track

blue yellow condor
16th Oct 2001, 22:26
Thank u very much for your information Track!

So the student pilot from the Netherlands was write. The guys in my class didn't belive it as I told them this story today.

Well, I like the way of our company. You will start as F/O on 737 or 320, with a lot of luck 757.