PDA

View Full Version : Arriving at Heathrow too early to land

Captain Windsock
15th Oct 2001, 19:16
A very common senario. A nice tailwind across the Atlantic and then low and behold you arrive at OCK too early to make an approach. First landing is at 0601 and then horror of horrors you find there are 6 other aircraft with the same problem but they are all ahead of you. Thats another 12 mins delay on top of your delay.

Question. What do you tell the punters down the back?

:confused: :confused:

DouglasDigby
15th Oct 2001, 19:45
The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth!!

mcdhu
15th Oct 2001, 20:56
This happens at LGW too, particularly in the summer. The 'charter' boys come charging back at the speed of heat after a frustratingly slow t/r at,for example, KGS, only to find that they can't use their night landing slot simply because those who have conspired to arrive in the terminal area before 06L, without a night slot, are blocking the airspace.
Land and take the hit, or manage your flights better!
Cheers
mcdhu

Mycroft
15th Oct 2001, 22:29
Had it happen to me as a PAX, pilot just told everyone what was happening, including the most important fact you're still going to be landing ahead of schedule

Whipping Boy's SATCO
15th Oct 2001, 23:20
Although not at HRW we have a similar problem. Our Ops accepts aircraft from across the Atlantic and issue an arrival 'slot' of 0800 (right on opening time). I've lost count of the number of times I have had a bun fight with Ops when the aircraft miraculously arrives early.

Any pragmatism out there? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Fright Level
16th Oct 2001, 01:09
Capt Windsock. Very common scenario. Accept that if you adjust speed etc to arrive at 0601 you will be in a queue and hold for 10-15 mins (happens every day), then keep normal speed and arrive at Ockham at 0545. Still hold for 15 mins but be at the front of the queue. My clock clicked from 0600 to 0601 in the flare recently (not that I was watching it!).

Arrive into the hold and tell pax truth. Watch all the joiners go in as you leave for the approach cos a dozen a/c tweaked their FMC's to say exactly 0601 through the night!

Rod

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Oct 2001, 11:18
Captain.. tell them the exact reason, i.e. the British Government Heathrow noise restrictions prevent your flight from landing prior to 6am and unfortunately there are several other flights in the same boat. DON'T blame ATC, which is a favoured ploy of vast numbers of aircrew! That hour from 6am-7am is the absolute busiest of the day for us, with two runways often being used for landing. If we could get you all on the ground as soon as you turn up life would be easier for us all.

Captain Windsock
17th Oct 2001, 14:24
I am all for the simple life and telling the truth certainly seems to help in that department. I started this thread because I know for sure that recently a Big Airways Capt told the passengers that the delay was all down to ATC. I think that a touch unfair and I wunder exactly who he thought he was protecting/helping by making such a statement.

radeng
17th Oct 2001, 15:21
What happens if you're that early and have an emergency - a fire or a passenger in a bad way? Is it a case of 'go somewhere else to crash' or 'tell the passenger there's no landing for another 20 minutes and death is their responsibility'?

Hand Solo
18th Oct 2001, 02:27
Err being a bit silly now aren't we? The early landing problem relates only to the limited number of 'night' landing slots the airlines are given per year and the desire to preserve them for the scheduled flights which need them most. I don't think anyone except the beancounters would be the least bit concerned about landing early in the event of an emergency.

GoneWest
18th Oct 2001, 06:37
MUCH smaller scale, but often found myself on final at Ronaldsway (Isle of Man) - in my charter days - listening to the one ahead calling for time checks rather than wind checks.

Landing before 0600 got very expensive.

Warped Factor
19th Oct 2001, 02:20
radeng,

If you have to mention the magic words beginning with "P" or "M", the night noise restrictions will not be a problem for you.

WF.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
19th Oct 2001, 17:44
radeng plainly is NOT a commercial pilot.