PDA

View Full Version : NATS - 3rd time selection

flyinghigh34
25th Oct 2011, 13:47
Hey

I just failed miserably twice in last 2 consecutive years for NATS.

I'm curious to ask, should I apply a third?

How many ATCOs that have the job or training or trained with you "got in" third time?

I don't know if its worth it, will I get grilled like meat at the interview regarding this?

Thanks people

SilentHandover
25th Oct 2011, 15:27
Don't give up hope, I first applied in 1999, I got in on a fourth attempt (due to an admin error on a previous application) in 2006, I'm now valid at a unit. Look at why you've failed before, work on those areas to improve and turn it into a positive in an interview that you have showed commitment and worked hard to get through setbacks to achieve what you want. :ok:

Spitoon
25th Oct 2011, 17:30
Can't comment on NATS' current policies but if you want to do the job then give it a go. Don't get put off by the possibility of a tough interview - you'll face far greater challenges if you make it through to working as a controller. If you try again prepare well - be ready for tough questions about your previous attempts, there are plenty of books out there about handling difficult interview questions.

Think about your attitude and how you come across at interview too. I'm not trying to put you off but if you're wondering whether it's all worth it if you might have to face a tough interview perhaps the interview board is making the right decision.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Oct 2011, 17:47
There was an ATSA at Heathrow who applied for a cadetship. We gave the candidate every possible help, including mock boards by our Supervisor, etc. First time was a failure so when another chance came round our boss suggested a glass of brandy prior to the board. It worked and that ATSA went on to become a very good ATCO - probably still at Heathrow now.

alfaman
25th Oct 2011, 19:16
There are many examples of people who've been successful after trying a number of times; also sadly examples of those who aren't - it's not refined enough, or stable enough, a process to say whether it makes some or any difference.
For you, though, at what stage did you fail? Early both times, or slightly better on the second attempt? It also depends on what you mean by "just failed miserably" - were you miserable as a result of only just failing, or did you get feedback saying that there were a number of things that didn't meet the criteria, that you'll need to work on. If it's the former, well, that's to be expected. If the latter, maybe they're trying to send a message that ATC isn't really for you.
You can expect to be asked at interview, because they'll want to know what you've done to use the intervening time effectively. But if you still have a desire to try, the number of attempts won't be held against you - if NATS is recruiting, & you make the grade, that's it for that hurdle. The third time will be the last though - NATS as a company has a policy of no more than 3 - so, if you go for it, really give it everything you've got.

LEGAL TENDER
25th Oct 2011, 22:49
what did you fail on? the interview or the aptitude tests?

I failed at my final interview (didn't do any preparation towards it), was given another chance (still didn't do any preparation - apart from ironing a shirt) and went through. Sometimes it's luck, circumstances, timing and a bit of "x-factor" ;) 2 YES's and you're off to boot camp!

The recruitment process is sketchy and unpredictable, and in that respect it does a good job at preparing for the training process ;)

Bitter? Never. :)