PDA

View Full Version : Lion Air over run at Balikpapan 24 Oktober

alawman
25th Oct 2011, 02:48
According to Jakarta Globe early on Sunday morning a Lion Air 737-900 over ran. Aiport diverted 4 000 passengers/35 flights during the day.

Not easy to move I imagine, they reported it has a dry weight of 78 000 tons. Obviously one of the larger -900s available. Perhaps that is why it was still there 12 hours after the landing.

Any news as to why?

jurassicjockey
25th Oct 2011, 02:54
at 78000 tons, it would weigh just slightly less than the Queen Mary. Gotta love the media

CargoFlyer11
25th Oct 2011, 03:24
Incident: Lion Air B739 at Balikpapan on Oct 23rd 2011, runway excursion (http://avherald.com/h?article=444f5bc5&opt=0)

Link has a small pic...

A Lion Air Boeing 737-900, registration PK-LHO performing flight JT-673 from Tarakan to Balikpapan (Indonesia) with 198 passengers and 7 crew, overran the end of the runway 25 with the main gear about 20 meters off paved surface (60 meters paved runway end safety area) when the aircraft landed in Balikpapan in heavy rain and strong gusting winds. No injuries occurred, the passengers disembarked normally onto soft ground.

The airport was closed for about 6 hours until the aircraft was moved back onto paved surface and towed to the apron.

The local weather station reported thunderstorms and rain with winds around 12 knots from northeast about one hour after the overrun.

Balikpapan's runway 25 is 2500 meters/8200 feet long (landing distance available: 2500 meters) and offers a VOR/DME approach.

nitpicker330
25th Oct 2011, 08:05
Seems some people never learn, they "try" to land in conditions that they shouldn't. OTP pressure, bad training or just plain silly???

chimbu warrior
25th Oct 2011, 09:03
Hmmm.....

I understand that Lion Air "retired" several MD-80's using this method, but Didn't realise the B739's were that old.

mokilu
25th Oct 2011, 09:19
Isn't Lionair the company that "hires" P2F F/Os and PICs?

dac787
25th Oct 2011, 16:07
Not surprise if it happen and happen again to Liong...
low quality training and OTP pressure...min rest, no fix roster, and everybody know that Liong is Merpati part deux from management till crew...
sigh...:ugh:

alawman
26th Oct 2011, 05:14
Here is the Jakarta Globe link:

Lion Air Runway Overshoot Leaves Thousands Stuck | The Jakarta Globe (http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/home/lion-air-runway-overshoot-leaves-thousands-stuck/473570)

It claims that with this super sized -900 still "bogged" they nominated that the runway was now 2 250 m and opened the runway at 3pm.

Umm. Just hope no more overruns?

Is it safety at any cost or at what cost?

No RYR for me
26th Oct 2011, 07:36
Isn't Lionair the company that "hires" P2F F/Os and PICs?

Yes no surprise at all! This runway overrun thing is really a lowcost P2F thing!

Just like this lowcost P2F airline http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/304416-air-france-cyyz-overrun-report-released.html

Maybe just wait for the report when it comes out :cool:

stilton
26th Oct 2011, 07:50
On the other hand that weight would explain the overrun..

jack diamond
27th Oct 2011, 12:12
ILS available when seviceable runway 25 BPN

TheRedBaron01
29th Oct 2011, 14:31
I had a friend on this flight who is an A&P mechanic. The winds were normal...there was no strong shift in winds as Lion has stated. My friend on the flight said they touched down a little long, but that the thrust reversers didn't deploy until they were almost overrunning the runway, and that the pilot didn't really get on the brakes until the end. Other reports from people on the ground also confirm that the rain was very light when it happened. Weather is the scapegoat here...don't believe anything from Lion.

Nasigoreng
29th Oct 2011, 23:04
It was incompetent Indian pilot via MSD (agency). With fake hours on his cpl. Korupsi bule.

Go for IOSA!

djanello
30th Oct 2011, 11:34
If it was one of the co's first line training flights, It'd have been Captain's responsibility. (perhaps even more so than normally)

Of course it's not good for the co to miss things, but the captain should've caught on to that if not the safety pilot in the back.

(especially since indian pilots don't need base training to fly an airliner.)

Nasigoreng
30th Oct 2011, 11:55
If you fly with captains in lion air you would know about the quality of airmanship they have. They wouldn't be allowed to even drive a tow truck in a decent compani

jetjockey696
31st Oct 2011, 09:01
Now I understand why a few Captains in Lion fly the all the sectors himself.. :ok: even for 3/4day trips.. hahaha....

captjns
3rd Dec 2011, 12:24
Diamond 71… unless you were on the jump seat, had access to the DFDR, DCVR, a member of the incident investigation board, you really can’t claim to have all the facts.

The facts you claim to know Diamond… were you privy to the company report, testimony by all parties concerned, investigation report from the Indonesian DGCA imparted, unedited transcripts from the DCVR, or transcribed analysis of the DFDR? Again Diamond 71, unless you were a member of the accident investigation board concerning this incident, and you really make claim to have all the facts?

There’s this old saying Diamond 71…. There’s the captain’s version, the first officer’s version, and the truth. Imbedded within the DFDR, and DCVR, is where the truth lays

Helicopter doctor
5th Dec 2011, 03:52
I was on a Garuda flight that landed 15 minutes before the Lion Air flight. Runway was wet from previous showers but there was no rain at that time, visibility was good. Wind was the usual sea breeze crosswind but nothing unusual. After collecting my bags I noticed a very light sprinkle of rain walking to the car, which would have been about the time of the incident. I live near the airport and as I drove home 10 minutes later I saw the 737 at the very end of the runway with no other vehicles around at that time. There was no heavy rain till after 8 am.
Doc