PDA

View Full Version : Flying for the UN

SkidSolo
15th Oct 2001, 01:54
Can anyone provide any info on this or an url? I had a look around the UN website but couldn't find anything specific. Also, the search facility on this site overloads for any previous topics.

Thanks in advance.
Regards
SS

PAXboy
16th Oct 2001, 17:04
I think that uoy will find that contracts are let through agencies, not directly by the UN.

My nephew did a stint for them a few years ago and, if memory serves, saw the advert locally (in South Africa) and the pilot agency interviwed him, checked his credentials and organised transport to Angola.

So I suggest that you try to find which agencies they appoint for this work. Adverts likely to appear in all the usual places.

blue yellow condor
16th Oct 2001, 18:53
Two years ago I send this question to the German aviation magazine named "Aero International". They called me back and told me that the UNO has no own a/c. For example the swiss airline "Private Air" is flying for the UNO. But they will not fly care packets into crisis areas.

byc :cool:

Jam Doughnuts
20th Oct 2001, 21:28
Hi SS

The info on the UN not owning its own fleet is correct.... all the aircraft are leased in for the duration of the mission from third party operators, if you looking for who, where and what I need ? generally the guys operating the big stuff require time on type and experience,eg B727, L383, AN12 IL76 however for the smaller passenger transport side of things DH6, BE20, BE02, ATR42 C208 etc, most of the companies operate two crew and the way most guys start is as co pilots getting P2 ratings and progressing from there. Best place to start looking is on the Afirca side PPrune, may well help you there. otherwise try looking for Rossair, Federal Air, Medicine san frontier, Airserve, MAF, etc etc, the list is very very long...... good hunting though :cool:

thegirth
21st Oct 2001, 16:07
Try Safair.

SkidSolo
23rd Oct 2001, 13:46
Thanks for the above suggestions.

jimbob
25th Oct 2001, 15:20
...and Aviation Assistance in Denmark. Beech 200 and 1900.