PDA

View Full Version : No more QFE-ops in Russian & Kazakhstan airspace?

Mariner
21st Oct 2011, 13:34
I recently heard that Russia and Kazakhstan were to change over to QNH operations below transition level instead of QFE.
But I can't find confirmation.
Does anyone know?

rsiano
21st Oct 2011, 16:46
No change to Qfe altimeter setting procedures below the Transition Level that I am aware of...However, on November 17, 2011 Russia and the Common Wealth of Independent States will implement Reduced Vertical Separation Minima Airspace between FL290 and FL410. Also at the same time the implementation of the International Civil Aviation Organization Flight Level Allocation Scheme will take place for altitude assignments above the Transition Level and the assignments will be in feet, not meters. For example: FL360
See:
http://aviadocs.net/aip/aic/aic-2010-03_eng.pdf
Thanks!
Dick Siano

Mariner
22nd Oct 2011, 18:48
Ah, that's the story. So QFE meters below transition level, and RVSM fightlevel feet above it. Makes it easier on overflights.

China next? I'll just dream on...

Thanks Dick.

aerobat77
22nd Oct 2011, 22:30
currently a little strange there. one controller will give QFE and metric values, the next altitudes in feet and QNH - lets look. especially moscow is somekind strange where you have to think twice what he wants from you .

GLT5000
17th Nov 2011, 00:57
Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, (all "True" North Track for hemi FLAS rule)..... Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbebekistan (all "Magnetic" North for hemi FLAS rule) still operate in "meters" when within 50km from the airport from takeoff to TA and from TL to landing on a QFE setting. QNH is given when operating below the TL and outside the "control zone" of the airport.
From what I gather using ACG, Inc as the source, Russia and CIS states will issue a Flight Level in "feet" and Mongolia will carry out like China, issuing Meters and then flying the equivalent in "feet".....Last several months when operating in China my descent profiles were issued in "feet" operating into ZSPD and ZBAA......not a "so-called" standard....but what is these days..................
rd